2014 or 2015?? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2014, 02:41 AM   #1

Maryland
2014 or 2015??

Good Evening... First post here.

Been out looking at TH like crazy over the last few months, finally walked into a 3950 (2014) and the wife said she loved it, this was the only that she emphatically made this statement about.

Question, the one we she liked is a 2014 with the Epic III package and some other options. For you folks out there, she we shoot for the 2014 or wait until they start getting the 2015s in at the end of OCT? Is there going to be that gotcha from one model year to the next? Do you think Keystone quality control will increase.....we have an Outback right now (bumper pull bunkhouse), the quality control has been great...one warranty issue in 12 months, Accu-Slide gear box replaced...

Cale

calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:05 AM   #2

Mississippi
We have a 2014 3950 as you mention, It is a great unit for our needs, we camp with friends that have a Allegro Bus. We watch TV in ours can not beat the reclining couch, not to mention all the places for our daughter and friends to sleep without loosing our couch as they do. Never came out and asked them what they paid for their 2014 bus, they have an L-shaped couch with terrible recliner feature so only 2 can sit in the recliner chairs in comfort and watch TV.

lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:06 AM   #3

South Carolina
We bought a 2013 last December, after the 2014s had come out. We got a TERRIFIC deal. Just like with cars. If you're lucky, you'll be able to pick over both and weigh the options. Each year there is going to be some little change that you wish you had. On the other hand, the year's depreciation will save you a lot of money.
As for QC getting better....... I'll defer to others for comments on that one!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:11 AM   #4

Texas
Cale,

Your question would call for a subjective answer... you'll probably get several varying opinions.

The 15's have been on the lot for several months out here in Texas, objectively speaking one difference I've noticed is the triple axle 2015 Voltage (and late 14's) are stickered @ 20,000 GVWR compared to 19,000 on the early 2014's.

I don't think (subjective) this is due to any difference in the construction or components, just in the way the GVWR is calculated by the manufacturer?

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:18 AM   #5

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
Cale,

Your question would call for a subjective answer... you'll probably get several varying opinions.

The 15's have been on the lot for several months out here in Texas, objectively speaking one difference I've noticed is the triple axle 2015 Voltage (and late 14's) are stickered @ 20,000 GVWR compared to 19,000 on the early 2014's.

I don't think (subjective) this is due to any difference in the construction or components, just in the way the GVWR is calculated by the manufacturer?
I would say the tinkering with the GVWR is Keystone... They have done it with my model...we have 900lb CCC, the ones made exactly the same way a couple months later have 1300lb, I think they are even more now... Still have the same anemic axles underneath.

My only quality control concern, is more of a design concern....the slides. The devil is in the details, my neighbors have a 2011 Voltage 3895 with their own problems...I am not a fan of the Accu-Slide (I have on mine, but I have heard Keystone may implement soon on the Voltage) due to the constant adjustment on new cables...

Cale
Old 09-29-2014, 03:30 AM   #6

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
We bought a 2013 last December, after the 2014s had come out. We got a TERRIFIC deal. Just like with cars. If you're lucky, you'll be able to pick over both and weigh the options. Each year there is going to be some little change that you wish you had. On the other hand, the year's depreciation will save you a lot of money.
As for QC getting better....... I'll defer to others for comments on that one!
We kind of feel like we are playing Vegas odds here.... We put down $500 (refundable) to hold it, but realistically, we cannot get it until mid November (weekends are booked with work and travel (military)). They are suppose to get their ordered 2015's in near the end of OCT...I may pull my money back and hope the unit is still sitting there when the 2015's start to show... They did say that they want to move it....it costs them $120/month to have it sitting on the lot....

Cale
Old 09-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
We kind of feel like we are playing Vegas odds here.... We put down $500 (refundable) to hold it, but realistically, we cannot get it until mid November (weekends are booked with work and travel (military)). They are suppose to get their ordered 2015's in near the end of OCT...I may pull my money back and hope the unit is still sitting there when the 2015's start to show... They did say that they want to move it....it costs them $120/month to have it sitting on the lot....

Cale
Which dealer are you working with? The 2015's should be out at most dealers now. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #8

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytoogood View Post
Which dealer are you working with? The 2015's should be out at most dealers now. Good luck with whatever you choose.
We have been talking to Toy Hauler Liquidators in Fresno. They may have had 2015's prior to us looking, but they only have 2 2014's on the lot... They are a volume dealer and have a large order placed...

Cale
Old 09-29-2014, 02:35 PM   #9

Arizona
Hey Cale, we purchased a 2014 in July and have put 5000 miles and 8weeks of use in our Voltage 3950 epic III. Like others, we scored a great deal on the leftover and have had very little issues during almost full time use. No regrets here taking the left over.

2014 Voltage 3950 EPIC III
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW Cummins, Edge juice with attitude
2013 Can Am Commander 1000xt
havasujim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
We have been talking to Toy Hauler Liquidators in Fresno. They may have had 2015's prior to us looking, but they only have 2 2014's on the lot... They are a volume dealer and have a large order placed...
Cale
Have you talked to Trailer Hitch RV. I found them to have the best price. It's where I bought mine. They are just south of Pismo Beach.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #11

Colorado
We bought a 2014 Voltage Epic III 3800. Like you, the wife loved it the minute she walked through.

So we ordered January 18, 2014...finally got it on May 7, 2014.

Its a great trailer...it has its share of small problems with poor assembly.

But I think you will find that with any trailer. If you're mechanically inclined and willing to work on it, it will be a great trailer.

If you're dependent on the dealer to do all the work and maintenance...then whatever you get...it will be a PITA.

JMHO

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #12

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
Cale,

My opinion is worth what you paid for it, but if I had the option I would gladly pay more for another 1,000 pounds of legal sticker weight. These things get heavy really fast and I am always hitting the scales and almost always over weight unless my fresh water is close to empty.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:30 AM   #13

Colorado
Arlan,

You make a good point.

But if there are more like us...we simply don't dry camp much at all. Maybe one night between home and destination. So I might put 60 gallons of fresh water in the tank so that we can shower, do dishes and use the bathroom the one night we are on the road. So the extra GVWR isn't an issue....I don't think....

Pirate
Old 09-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #14

Nevada
We were looking at a 2014 3970, ordered it May 1st. Picked it up in mid July, turns out it was a 2015 with lots of problems.
BnTinNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #15

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BnTinNV View Post
We were looking at a 2014 3970, ordered it May 1st. Picked it up in mid July, turns out it was a 2015 with lots of problems.
How have the problems been worked out? I am curious if yours was built around the time the company was in the process of changing. I a. Hoping Keystone can turn it around, but I heard they are trying to put the Keystone spin on it, they may take some of the luxury out of them...

Cale
Old 10-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #16

Colorado
I don't think it matters when it was built...the quality is affected by so many little factors:

What day of the week did it get built? I would imagine Mondays and Fridays aren't good days.

Who built it? Was it some on who really tries to "do the right thing?" Or someone that doesn't like the job, but needs a paycheck...and the quality shows.

How detailed is the design? Did Engineering really do a good job of laying out how the trailer is to be built?

How is the design conveyed to the crew building the trailer? If someone isn't reviewing the design and assembly drawings...well...you get what you get.

A couple of quick examples:

When selecting B29 bombers for the 509th composite group, time was spent evaluating when the very best units came off the assembly lines. Those planes went to the 509th as it was gearing up to head to the Marianas.

I designed every bit of our retirement home. I did the design in 3D AutoCAD. Every sub-contractor got a set of the general design drawings and then detail drawings for their work. Sadly the framer and concrete for the garage foundation and Veranda stem walls simply took the drawings as "suggestions". They both lost their ass on the job, cuz I made them redo things until they were to design. Interesting choice.

So I wonder what its like in an RV assembly shop????

Just thoughts...

Pirate
Old 10-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #17

Nevada
@ cale, The dealer is still working on repairs, but are getting slowed down by Dutchmen or whoever, they don't want to ship the parts for the repairs. Trailer is still in the shop as I'm writing this. My dealer did tell me about the change in the company as we were ordering our trailer but assured me if there were any problems they would be taken care of.dealer is keeping his promise, however manufacture is to be desired. Would not buy a little red wagon from this company!!!

BnTinNV is offline   Reply With Quote