2014 3895 Schwintec Galley slide stuck - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2016, 11:30 PM   #1

Oklahoma
2014 3895 Schwintec Galley slide stuck

Ok we have had this camper for 90 days. Almost alway have to punch the button on the controller to retract the two big slides. Today the galley would not come in on the right side. Override was no help. Pushing didn't help. Watched a video on popping the motor up to disengage the rod that runs down the side to run the gears. The rod will not turn with the motor nor will the slide budge at all. It is still at the campsite.

Anyone had this issue?? Manual crank up under the plastic underbelly?

tarbabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:57 AM   #2

Tennessee
There is no manual crank for the schwintek slide system. Once you disengage the motor from the shaft, you have to push the slide by hand.

2012 EZ-GO 2FIVE LSV 2014 Gem E4 LSV
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:02 AM   #3

Oklahoma
Tried that. The one side is solid. I'm thinking the torque shaft is frozen. I had 8 guys pushing that one side to no avail.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:31 AM   #4

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarbabi View Post
Tried that. The one side is solid. I'm thinking the torque shaft is frozen. I had 8 guys pushing that one side to no avail.
The rod may have seized or the gear has jumped the track. There's a block up near the top that has been problematic for some. Someone that is familiar with the block will chime in soon to help you.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:35 AM   #5

Oklahoma
Sounds good hopefully someone can help. I can only imagine the bill for some to fix it where its at.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #6

New Jersey
Look for the control box for that slide. See what error codes it shows. You can find instructions on this as well as how to reset it on Lippert/Schwintek's web site.

There is no manual crank. One needs to get behind the rubber at the top side of the slide, remove the correct screw, pop the motor up to disengage it. You either need to pull both motors, or pull the one from the side that is not working, and use a combination of the switch to move the working side, and pushing on the non function side. With both motors pulled, you should be able to push the slide in fairly easily, unless the slide is binding. I had one that was not built square, and needed new columns, and to be rebuilt to square.

If you are not getting any movement at all, I'd start with controller diagnostics, and a controller reset.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:53 AM   #7

Oklahoma
No code is being thrown. The motor has been been completely disengaged from the rod and the slide will not move on that one side.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #8

Iowa
Are you positive you got the motor popped up far enough to disengage the motor gear from the track? Like pdonoghu said you have to make sure you get that motor retention screw out before the motor will release and pop up. I have used a large flat blade screw driver to pry on the track and moved one side, used a block of wood to pry against so not to damage side of camper. Its a slow process but maybe if that shaft is in a bind that may break it loose.
Another thought that motor may be bad take it out, take it to a dealer have him test it and if bad replace with new a new one. Something else...remove that controller for the galley slide, take the controller from another slide and plug it in to the galley slide, see what happens!!
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #9

Oklahoma
The motor is completely loose from the shaft and when the button is engaged it works in both directions. With the motor off the shaft the slide should be good to be pushed in. It is as hard a a rock and will not move at all. I'm thinking that the torque shaft is bound up at one of the bearings. However getting at those bearings means that the frame on that side comes loose which means the entire slide is balanced on the edge.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:15 PM   #10

Iowa
Have heard of taking trim off, using a saws all with metal cutting blade and somehow cut that shaft several places and remove it, then push the slide in.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Geez I hope not, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:33 PM   #12

Iowa
For your sake I hope not too. Sounds like its sure bound up in there though. I've also heard of the shoe breaking in the track and causing it to bind but I've never dealt with those.
Good luck let us know what you find.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:26 PM   #13

Arizona
Yikes! Put that saw away!

If you have the motor removed, remove outside trim on the side of the RV. The shaft and gear ass'y. Is going to come out with the trim panel.Just roll it along the rack system outside.To remove it completely the trim. On the slideout will need to be removed BUT then you will need to re-time the gears for upper and lower rack.
Good luck! Not that difficult, I have done mine twice!
Dick
dick s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:29 PM   #14

California
That sucks. I have rebuilt my slide because of broken shoes. If the motor is fully released and the slide is not moving then something in the H channel is bound. The best bet would be to support the slide underneath (I used a large tranny jack, with wheels) take off all the exterior screws to the H channel and on the three tracks. With the screws being removed, you should be able to remove the whole assembly. It will be a PITA but once it is off, you will either have to pop off the other motor, or if it operates, have someone operate it while you push in the dead side. Once you get it in, be sure to wedge something between the wall and the slide so that the slide does not fall out during transport. Good luck.
bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:42 AM   #15

Oklahoma
Okay here is the resolution. Called Lippert, Dutchmen, and the dealer this morning. Absolutely no help from any of them. Called 8 different mobile rv repair businesses. None would come out. Talked to a shop near me and they gave me a quick run down. Had to take the outside trim off that holds the slide in. As soon as the trim was removed from the three gear blocks we found that the bottom track was a half inch out of time with the other two. We retired it and found that the motor was fine going one direction and dead the other way. We we able to remount the locking trim and walk the slide back in, remountil the motor, and make the trip home. It was a little intimidating to do it, but when it is all you have you find a way. A new motor is $100. If I had had someone else do it there is no telling how much it would have cost. Thank you for all the replies.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:19 AM   #16

California
Thanks for letting everyone know how you fixed it, hopefully it will help someone else if this ever happens to them.
Chipworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #17

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipworkz View Post
Thanks for letting everyone know how you fixed it, hopefully it will help someone else if this ever happens to them.
X2!!!

Haven't had any problems yet, but I file all these Schwintec post away in the back of my mind as I figure my day will come. Haven't read about a problem quite like yours before. Glad you got it fixed!!!

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:24 PM   #18
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
X2!!!

Haven't had any problems yet, but I file all these Schwintec post away in the back of my mind as I figure my day will come. Haven't read about a problem quite like yours before. Glad you got it fixed!!!
Tell me about it! I have two Schwintek slides on my current RV. The big one operates like it should, the smaller bedroom one is a bit too noisy for my tastes. I am going to have a dealer look at it right after the first of the year just as a CYA move. The dealer I purchased from is about 4.5 hours away, they had a closer branch but it has closed. I have a very good Forest River dealer about 3 hours away that I plan to use. Supposedly any FR dealer can do warranty work on the Concord. I don't trust the dealer I purchased from anymore. They have had a complete turn over in both the shop and the office staff in the past 8 months, does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote