2013 Dutchmen Voltage 3950 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2020, 07:25 AM   #1

Louisiana
2013 Dutchmen Voltage 3950

Hey guys/gals,

I'm wanting to install a third a/c in the garage section of my toy hauler. I've read that it may be pre-wired for one. I did notice that there was an empty spot in the breaker box. Could anybody confirm for me if that year model came pre-wired?

lsufan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:14 PM   #2

Florida
I have the exact model and year of Voltage that you do. More than likely it is pre-wired for the third AC. The real question is if there is a power regulator installed or not. For mine, there was not. That regulator, if I remember correctly, was going to be about $1500. However, with that installed you still will not be able to run all three ACs at the same time. A little detail they leave off. You have to select which two ACs to allow to run. So, instead of having that limitation I had my local RV shop install the third AC and add a separate 30 amp connection near the back of the RV. With that configuration I can run all three ACs at one time and being in Florida it helps a lot to have that extra AC.

If you have to regulator already installed, my bet is that you do not, and you are ok with only running two AC units at a time then that may be a better solution. The configuration I went with works great as most campsites have both 50 amp (for main power) and a 30 amp (which powers second AC). The RV dealer will install a circuit breaker for the third AC but you will have the ability and room to power other things in the garage besides the AC unit so you do not overload the rest of the coach.

Good luck and happy camping.

msbpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:51 AM   #3

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbpace View Post
...However, with that installed you still will not be able to run all three ACs at the same time. A little detail they leave off. You have to select which two ACs to allow to run...
Ok, I’m not doubting what you’re saying about your unit... but I have a 2013 model 3200 with 3 AC units, and i routinely run all 3 simultaneously during the summer. And yes, by that I mean, all 3 compressors are running simultaneously... not just the fans. Been running just fine like that ever since I bought it new 7 years ago,
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:02 AM   #4

Louisiana
Appreciate the feed back. We actually discussed installing a separate 30 amp power supply. My only concern going that route is that i'm constantly traveling for work, and a lot of the times its last minute. I don't want to run into the situation were i am at a park that does not have both power supplies. I personally would rather have to choose between which two air conditions to run versus not being able to utilize the third one at all.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:27 AM   #5

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsufan86 View Post
...I don't want to run into the situation were i am at a park that does not have both power supplies...
While I'm sure that the law of averages dictate there's bound to be a campground somewhere without both... after damn near 6 years of full-time RVing, criss-crossing the country 4 or 5 times, and hundreds of campgrounds & RV parks... I've NEVER pulled into a 50-amp site that the box did not also include a 30-amp outlet. Now, as to whether thee 30-amp outlet was wired for service inside the box, I couldn't tell you... as I've never had reason to try both. But the outlet was there.

Just food for thought...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:50 AM   #6

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
While I'm sure that the law of averages dictate there's bound to be a campground somewhere without both... after damn near 6 years of full-time RVing, criss-crossing the country 4 or 5 times, and hundreds of campgrounds & RV parks... I've NEVER pulled into a 50-amp site that the box did not also include a 30-amp outlet. Now, as to whether thee 30-amp outlet was wired for service inside the box, I couldn't tell you... as I've never had reason to try both. But the outlet was there.

Just food for thought...
I've actually been in two since last October, were there was only one source of power per lot. Keep in mind i work in the petrochemical industry, and my travel locations are dictated by that. Most of the RV parks i stay at were built to capture the high influx of short term workers. So they were built as cheaply as possible with little to no amenities.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:32 AM   #7

Florida
If you plan on running just that 3rd AC off that circuit, you shouldn't need a 30 amp circuit, a regular 20 amp house type plug would handle that. Many people run a separate "extention" cord for their 3rd AC.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:10 AM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post

Just food for thought...

Agree with @ATCguy, never seen a box with a 50 amp that didn’t also have a 30. Likely because so many RVs only have a 30 amp plug so a 50 amp won’t work for all of them. I have seen a few that only have a 30 amp but you won’t be going to those anyway. Likewise it seems like most also have the standard 110 outlet which is likely either 10 or 15 amps. That would allow you to wire it that way too.

I would think wiring the new unit with a standard 15 amp connection that would support a heavy duty extension cord as opposed to the big heavy 30 amp cord would be the easiest and probably safest. This way if you wound up at a place that only had 30 amp service and not 50 you could run one of the two existing A/C units plus the new garage unit off the 110 outlet that will likely be there. And if for some reason the box didn’t have the standard 110 outlet but had a 30 and a 50 you could use an adapter on the 30 that creates two 15 amp standard plugs. This way you should almost always be safe.

Good luck.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:15 PM   #9

Kentucky
When Kentucky Speedway built new campgrounds several years ago they only had 50 amp outlets. Camping World had a booth at the speedway and was selling adapters by the hundreds.
15hdsglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:34 AM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15hdsglide View Post
When Kentucky Speedway built new campgrounds several years ago they only had 50 amp outlets. Camping World had a booth at the speedway and was selling adapters by the hundreds.

Funny, I think they use 50 amp for all the car haulers and probably just decided to do the same everywhere.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #11

Ontario
Why can't you run 3 air-conditioners on a 50A hookup? Put two on one 50A leg and the other on the other leg. Obviously won't work on a 30A hookup. Easy-peasy.

What is this "power regulator" msbpace talked about? I know some rigs have a power management system that can shed loads as required. Is that what he means?
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:16 AM   #12

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebedford View Post
Why can't you run 3 air-conditioners on a 50A hookup? Put two on one 50A leg and the other on the other leg. Obviously won't work on a 30A hookup. Easy-peasy.

What is this "power regulator" msbpace talked about? I know some rigs have a power management system that can shed loads as required. Is that what he means?
Believe it is the Load Management System from Precision Circuits he is referring to. When I went from the gas generator to the 7500W Diesel, I sent the controller to them and they reflashed it for me from 44A to 67A before loads cut out to accommodate the diesel - never looked back and has never shed a load since. I used to routinely shed one of the three AC units during the summer months.

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote