2012 Voltage V3950??? Newbie needing advice - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2016, 12:00 AM   #1

Washington
2012 Voltage V3950??? Newbie needing advice

Sorry if this is not the appropriate place to ask this question but I'm needing some advice here. I am looking at buying a 2012 Voltage V3950 with the Epic package for me and the family. Were are actually looking to move across the country from WA to NC this summer in it. I have tried to do my research on this rig but it seems like everything I see is very inconsistent, some love it some have had a lot of issues with it.

Does anyone have real world experience with this rig? I understand routine maintenance and the occasional broken part but can't see all the issues some say they are having.

I would be buying from a dealership that is going through the unit front to back I trust this particular dealership, the owner and I know each other well and are good friends and I feel like I am getting an excellent price on it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

williep13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:07 AM   #2

British Columbia
Welcome to the forum.

Given that it's 4 years old you would hope that any major defects would have been repaired properly.

The problems that you see reported do happen all to often. They occur because quality controll is none existant and the speed they pump these things out you will have defects.

It sounds like you have pretty much made up your mind on the unit. Your are buying from a trusted source so that has to put your mind at ease.

The only thing I would suggest you do is invest in an inexpensive moisture meter and go through the camper from front to back and make sure there is no issue with undetected water leaks.

I have passed on many a good looking units just for the fact that there was moisture in the walls or ceiling.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:09 AM   #3

Wyoming
Ok, a few things you need to know and/or remember about forums such as these...

Only a small percentage of owners actually go online and join them... especially when you consider the majority of RV owners are over 50, and many aren't computer savvy. Therefore, what posts you do see represent a small percentage of the market.

Next, human nature is to usually post only when something is wrong. Very few get up in the morning, log on, and type about how great their rig worked yesterday. As such, the majority of posts you see have some negative component in them.

The good news:

Today's rigs are rolling miracles. When you consider all of the components inside them that actually work as advertised upon reaching your destination... after being subjected to dusty-dirty conditions, vibration, and shock from bumpy worn-out roads... that anything works at all is surprising.

If you're a little handy with tools, and willing to take on some light mechanical duties... keep up with recommended maintainence... then a rig that's in decent shape should give you years of enjoyment.

So do your research, shop with caution... and as others here have said, leave your emotions at home when it comes time to commit pen to paper.

Good luck....
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:54 AM   #4

Washington
Thank you guys for the quick responses. I was also thinking that given it is a used rig that most issues should be worked out by now.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:40 AM   #5

Illinois
Tom is right on. One point however. While "most major issues have been worked out" being 4 years old, a lot of little issues develop, like leaks, electrical issues, and the like, so get ready for some work. I have to say, while my unit (Voltage 3990) is only a year old, I'm very happy with it. Good luck.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #6

Alabama
I too have a 2012 Voltage 3950.. First... No mater how many miles or how the tires look.. If they are the factory Accuret tires go ahead and replace them.. The only other problem I have had is that I had to replace the floor in the bedroom slide... Other than that we use it monthly and love it..
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #7

Ohio
Any tire that is 4 years old is getting close to time out and I would replace them. Any of the Chinese tires could have issues. The best way to go is with the 17.5 inch rims and tires.
-Jeff
Old 01-27-2016, 03:15 AM   #8

Washington
Once again thank you everyone for the responses. I will definitely look at the tires. We put a down payment on it today. It's going in to service tomorrow and will be ready to pick up next week. We are looking at moving into it beginning of June and staying in/moving to the east coast till August. I'm sure I'll be on here alot
Old 01-29-2016, 02:51 AM   #9

Georgia
I have a V3950 and they are 2013. I am facing an $8,500 bill to replace the floor in the living room and bedroom slides due to rot! And we bought the most expensive extended warranty available. They don't cover water damage. Voltage says if I can't prove manufacturing flaw then they "will not participate"..... GRRRRR Duh it's a design flaw!!! There is no plumbing in the bedroom slide! And those seals should last more than 3 years!!!!!
Volsfan1nga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:45 AM   #10

Arizona
It took me over a year to get the bugs worked out of mine. I took care of all of them except for the broken Schwintek slide, which the dealer fixed. I still have a water leak to fix which occurs only when the water pressure is above 60 PSI. Other than that, my 3600 is now fairly reliable and I am a happy camper. One side note: the more I poke around my trailer the more I see just how cheaply and quickly it was put together, which proves to me the lack of adequate quality control.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:02 AM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volsfan1nga View Post
I have a V3950 and they are 2013. I am facing an $8,500 bill to replace the floor in the living room and bedroom slides due to rot! And we bought the most expensive extended warranty available. They don't cover water damage. Voltage says if I can't prove manufacturing flaw then they "will not participate"..... GRRRRR Duh it's a design flaw!!! There is no plumbing in the bedroom slide! And those seals should last more than 3 years!!!!!
That's why I have never bought an extended warranty in my life. Too much fine print and you need to hire a lawyer to get explained in plain english.

Extended warranties are a cash grab for the dealers and if they were honest they would be up front about what they do and do not cover.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #12

Alabama
I have not had a problem with the main slide. I was however able to replace the floor of the bedroom slide without taking it out or even tearing the wardrobe out.. Only spent about 30 bucks and a few hours..
Old 01-31-2016, 08:26 PM   #13

Ontario
Robert, I'd appreciate more info about your bedroom slide floor replacement. What was the problem? (floor board rot? slide motor failure?) What caused it? (in your best guess). What were the problem symptoms? (slide wouldn't operate?) How did you fix it? (especially given you made the repair without removing the slide and it only cost you 30 bucks. Nice!). Any "lessons learned" about your fix you can share? (ie. "if I had to do this again, it would be better to...") Any before/after pics you might have to share? Thanks kindly.
2010 Yamaha YZ125
mikesnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:43 PM   #14

Colorado
Willie,

Well Tom has some points, but some of us "old" guys...almost 62...get on the forums to learn and share what we have learned...but also a means to keep our brains active. I heard a very good talk by the Executive Director of the Rocky Mountain Behavioral Health "the brain is the only organ in the human body that does NOT have to get old"...but ya gotta use it. So forums are one of my means. WHEW!!

Now, when you go to pick up your Voltage I suggest:

Between now and then do a mental walk through of the RV and note all the things in it.

Lights, hot water heater, microwave, oven, refrigerator, sinks, shower, doors, awnings, stereo, TVs...all that stuff.

Then sit down at the PC and type up a double-spaced list from the back of the trailer to the front. At the top, make a note of the RV you are buying and the dealer name...just to get their attention.

When done, take a copy to the dealer now...and tell them that when you go to pick the trailer up, and before you sign the purchase & loan papers, you want a thorough PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) that demonstrates to you that everything on your list works as it should! Make take some time to do...but its your money and you don't want to be buying someone else's problems. That's what the dealer is supposed to be taking care of while its in Service.

JMHO

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #15

Alabama
Mike... My problem was floor rot.. The cause is the design of and lack of sealant around the outer frame.... First I removed the bottom drawers and drawer guides from the wardrobe leaving the carpet exposed on the inside... Then I removed the 2 lower corner pieces on the outer trim and then the outer bottom trim itself.. The rot was on the outer half of the floor... I went back as far as needed to get out of the rot and swelled floor... Made a mark ... Turned out that it was only rotten about 10 inches from the outer edge... So.. I made a mark 11 1/2 inches from the outer edge... I popped a chalk line and used a skill saw with the blade set at the correct depth... After cutting all the rot out I was left with only the aluminum framing and the carpet out to the edge... I used a 2x12 cut to length and planed down to the thickness needed... I used 1x4's on the inside under the drawers to bond the 2 pieces together... When I put the outer trim back on I used lexall to seal that piece so not to have the issue again... My slide works better than ever and my outer new flooring is always dry...
Old 02-01-2016, 05:13 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Willie,

Well Tom has some points, but some of us "old" guys...almost 62...get on the forums to learn and share what we have learned...but also a means to keep our brains active. I heard a very good talk by the Executive Director of the Rocky Mountain Behavioral Health "the brain is the only organ in the human body that does NOT have to get old"...but ya gotta use it. So forums are one of my means. WHEW!!

Now, when you go to pick up your Voltage I suggest:

Between now and then do a mental walk through of the RV and note all the things in it.

Lights, hot water heater, microwave, oven, refrigerator, sinks, shower, doors, awnings, stereo, TVs...all that stuff.

Then sit down at the PC and type up a double-spaced list from the back of the trailer to the front. At the top, make a note of the RV you are buying and the dealer name...just to get their attention.

When done, take a copy to the dealer now...and tell them that when you go to pick the trailer up, and before you sign the purchase & loan papers, you want a thorough PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) that demonstrates to you that everything on your list works as it should! Make take some time to do...but its your money and you don't want to be buying someone else's problems. That's what the dealer is supposed to be taking care of while its in Service.

JMHO

Pirate
I vote for this to be a sticky.

Put the dealer on notice in writing up front, then stick to your guns with the list when deilvery day comes.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:17 AM   #17

Washington
Once again thank everyone for the responses. We did our second walk-thru today and signed papers. Going to pick it up next week (still have a couple small items to fix), overall it seemed like it was well taken care of and in good condition. I guess only time will tell.

We are looking to take a couple short weekend trips here over the next couple months and then live in it for a few months and then we are using it to move across the country. With all that said besides replacing the wheel bearings what other advice do others have? I am also putting new tires on it.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:41 AM   #18

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by williep13 View Post
...We did our second walk-thru today and signed papers. Going to pick it up next week (still have a couple small items to fix)...
You signed the papers BEFORE they fixed everything? Why did I just cringe...?

Good luck...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:51 AM   #19

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
You signed the papers BEFORE they fixed everything? Why did I just cringe...?

Good luck...
As said before it is a dealership I trust. They are small fixes, would do myself but why? Also have in writing that they will fix the items.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #20

Georgia
Update on my V3950, the slideout floors are now being replaced at no cost to me thanks to a great dealership team who put upper management pressure on the warranty company. The warranty does not cover water damage but it does cover workmanship defects, which that is what this is. Initially they said they would not cover it. And I see above where another owner had to replace a slideout floor. STAY ON TOP OF THE CAULKING on your slideouts! DO NOT let it start seperating! That allows water to get behind it and then can't get out allowing the floor to soak up all of it.

Volsfan1nga is offline   Reply With Quote