2012 voltage heater problem - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #1

Florida
2012 voltage heater problem

Good morning, I am new to the forum and just recently bought our first fifth wheel. I do have a question for anyone with knowledge of these, we went to use the heat for the first time last night and the unit turns on for a minute to 90 seconds with air blowing then shuts off. This model has the dometic dual zone AC system. The AC on both units work fine, my zone 1 has furnace (which isn't working) and zone 2 does not have a furnace option. Any help is appreciated!!
2012 Voltage 3795 Toy Hauler

sonsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:08 AM   #2

British Columbia
Your furnace goes through a couple of self tests before it lights. If any of those fail the furnace will not light and can go into lockout mode.

The first thing to check, do you have the gas turned on, both at the tank and the furnace. Ensure that there are no obstructions in the furnace cold air and combustion air system.

If you open the furnace hatch you may see some flashing leds, they will tell you what the problem is.

Do you have the manual for the furnace? If not go to the furnace manufacturers web site an down load one. You will find a trouble shooting guide towards the back.

Jim

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #3

Montana
Was the propane turned on?
Was the propane line purged of air? It is often useful to make sure a stove burner will light before trying the furnace. This is to confirm that the propane lines have been purged and that gas is available at the appliances. It may take a minute to purge the gas line with propane and displace the air. Sometimes you'll have to close the propane tank valve and wait a few moments, then open it again. I don't know what kind of vapor lockup occurs, but the trick is to open your propane tank valves very slowly.

As hddecker said, there are several self tests that have to pass or your furnace will shut down for safety. First the fan will turn on, then it will try lighting itself. If it fails to detect a flame, the safety check will then shut the furnace down and you'll have to cycle power to it using the thermostat.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #4

Maryland
Also, in the time the unit turns on, do you hear it light off? If it does, then shuts down, that could be the system's temp limit switch.

If it doesn't light off, I would bet it's propane (or lack there of). This past weekend, we had some friends come visit us with their Heartland product....we had to cycle the furnace by letting it run and try lighting to purge the system. It took about five tries to get the system to ignite.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #5

Florida
Thumbs up

Thank you everyone for your knowledge and help with this issue, it was low/empty propane tanks, we have heat!
sonsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #6

New Jersey
Congrats!!
I was curious, followed this thread. I never would have thought about bleeding air from the lines.. along with the basic trouble shooting tips..
Glad you asked the question.
Pat
Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstime RVer View Post
Congrats!!
I was curious, followed this thread. I never would have thought about bleeding air from the lines.. along with the basic trouble shooting tips..
Glad you asked the question.
Pat
Bleeding the lines goes for the frig also. If you don't start a stove burner first the frig will take many tries to light. Depending upon the model it may only try a couple of times. You will need to reset it to try again. Once you get the hang of it it will be second nature.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #8

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Bleeding the lines goes for the frig also. If you don't start a stove burner first the frig will take many tries to light. Depending upon the model it may only try a couple of times. You will need to reset it to try again. Once you get the hang of it it will be second nature.
I have found that if I make sure to open the propane tank valve very slowly, there isn't even a need to light a stove burner first. Appliances will fire up first time every time. And by slow, I mean about 10 seconds for the first quarter turn. You can hear the gas start to pressurize the system. After that, you can open it up the rest of the way without worrying about doing it slowly. Something about allowing the gas to slowly make its way through the regulator and into the gas lines seems to purge the lines nicely every time.