2 motor conversion - landing gear for 3950 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #1

Ontario
2 motor conversion - landing gear for 3950

I would like to add a second motor to my landing gear as the single motor really strains under heavy load. I have the motor and I figured it would be a straight forward matter to pick up 12V for the second motor and switch. Well it is, but I forgot about this thing:

That's the remote control module in case you're wondering. I had forgotten that it's possible to use the remote for the landing gear as well as the switch.

Now I'm wondering if I can parallel the second motor onto the controller. I'd be happy to use the remote to get the jacks near the ground then switches for fine tuning and heavy lifting. I don't know if this controller can handle two motors or if two motors lifting the same load as one draw any more current???

Any ideas? Thanks.

joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #2

Florida
Use the out put from the controller to control two relays with heavy duty contacts. that would actually be less current draw on the controller which (in theory) should make it last longer.

The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #3

Ontario
Each of the light squares is a ~25A relay which is probably sufficient for most of the items being driven by the controller.

The larger dark rectangles are 40A relays which appear to be driven by the center 25A relay. I'm guessing those are for the landing gear as they're closest to the orange wire with the fuse which I know is for the gear.

I guess I could add some 100A relays outboard of all this.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #4

Arizona
If it were me, I'd be investigating why the landing gear is straining. Adding a second motor might just make things really bad.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:46 PM   #5

Ontario
Nope. I was wrong about the wiring. I did a Google image search and while it didn't get me directly to the manual for the controller board, it got me pretty close.

The bottom red and white are power in, and the bottom orange and black are power out to all manual switches. I guess they do it that way so you can't apply power with the switch and remote at the same time - could be spark-making!

I now think the landing gear is the heavy red and black on the right hand side.