12 Volts to Rear Vent on 3605 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2016, 08:31 PM   #1

Ohio
12 Volts to Rear Vent on 3605

I installed one of these replacement fans in the bathroom this afternoon. http://www.amazon.com/Hengs-Industri...ef_=pd_ybh_a_5 While I was at it, I thought I would put one in the garage. Since its above the bunk, I never looked at it close. Turns out there is no fan in it, just the vent. So there is no 12 volts there. So the question is, were is the easiest place to get un-switched 12 volts? The lights are not far, but they are on a switch. I would like to fish tape from somewhere without tearing out the ceiling. They left about 1/4 inch at each corner behind the trim garnish, so I can go in any direction.
-Jeff

Old 05-08-2016, 02:47 AM   #2

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwelsh View Post
I installed one of these replacement fans in the bathroom this afternoon. http://www.amazon.com/Hengs-Industri...ef_=pd_ybh_a_5 While I was at it, I thought I would put one in the garage. Since its above the bunk, I never looked at it close. Turns out there is no fan in it, just the vent. So there is no 12 volts there. So the question is, were is the easiest place to get un-switched 12 volts? The lights are not far, but they are on a switch. I would like to fish tape from somewhere without tearing out the ceiling. They left about 1/4 inch at each corner behind the trim garnish, so I can go in any direction.
-Jeff
Check your light switch on the wall, if its like the master bedroom, it has two sets of wires from the switch to each light fixture. I took one off, installed a second switch right beside it, and found the wire that I removed from the first switch and what ever light does not come on, that's the wire you use for the fan, now you have a wall switch.

For the light that is no longer working, use a fish tape and a new wire from the working light over to the non working light, boom....lights work on one switch now. Use the wire that was inoperative and fish it to the vent, you might need to add a little extra, but no big deal. Now connect the power to the second switch, and boom. remote power to the fan.

This is how I setup a fantastic fan in the master bedroom. Works like a champ!!!

2012 Can-Am Commander XT 1000, 1998 golwing GL1500
07dmax360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:27 AM   #3

Tennessee
On my 3305 I pulled the light and un-wired it. Tied a wire to the light wire. Then pulled out the switch and pulled the light wire with the wire I tied on, back to the switch. Then I tied on wires for the fan and used the first wire I tied on to pull all the wires back to the light. Then from the light to the fan is easy. I hooked the fan to the "hot" side of the light switch.
2012 EZ-GO 2FIVE LSV 2014 Gem E4 LSV
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:46 AM   #4

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wheeler View Post
On my 3305 I pulled the light and un-wired it. Tied a wire to the light wire. Then pulled out the switch and pulled the light wire with the wire I tied on, back to the switch. Then I tied on wires for the fan and used the first wire I tied on to pull all the wires back to the light. Then from the light to the fan is easy. I hooked the fan to the "hot" side of the light switch.
Just hope that in the process of pulling wires, it doesn't catch on something and separate. Then you have no wires at all going through the wall and ceiling and would have to take paneling off and redo the wiring.

I have run into this problem on other projects. Just be careful if you do it this way, that you don't pull too hard and separate the two strings in mid pull
07dmax360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #5

California
I got my power from the happijack motor.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #6

Ohio
Hi Mike,

I have not had a chance to get back to it. I thought about the Happijack motor, but doesn't it have switch too?
-Jeff