12 volt battery not charging - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2022, 12:15 AM   #1

Pennsylvania
12 volt battery not charging

when running on generator the 12 volt battery goes dead. It charges back up when being towed but when unit it plugged into shore power or generator the battery does not charge up and goes dead.

mr.trot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:01 PM   #2

Wisconsin
You did not post you RV make and model when you signed up for iRV2. Please post this information with every question. You will get better advise if we know more.

Battery is charged from engine alternator. Battery is also charged by an on-board converter/charger. The converter/charger is powered by 120 volts from shore power or generator.

There is probably a circuit breaker for the converter/charger on the main RV circuit breaker panel. Switch it "off", then back "on"

If other 120 volt appliances are also not working, Switch the main breaker "off" and "on" just to be sure.

Different converter/chargers have different configurations. What is the make and model of your converter/charger? Some RV's have inverter/converter/chargers.

These devices often have circuit breakers built into them or fuses associated with them. Inverters often have a fuse between the inverter 12 volt cable and the battery.

Converter/chargers often have fuses on the main fuse distribution panel. I have a WFCO. It has a 30 amp and a 40 amp fuse on the distribution panel. Either one can stop battery charging.

12 volt Side of Life part 1
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

12 volt Side of Life part 2
The 12volt Side of Life Part 2
Some of the information is a little dated, but it is still pretty good.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:20 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
i put it in my profile , i thought... we have 2021 Voltage 5th wheel toyhauler
Old 03-12-2022, 05:24 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
are there posts to check that voltage? not sure even where to start. Couldnt find anything in owners manual either. I don;t know where it is located and don't see the heavy fuses some folks mentioned.
Old 03-13-2022, 02:13 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Dutchmen/Keystone/Voltage provides on-line generic manuals. I found one for your model year.

https://www.dutchmen.com/resources/m...anual_2021.pdf

The manual covers many different Voltage configurations. Yours may have a 55 amp battery charger. Make and model of charger is not listed in the manual. However, the general suggestions I made in previous post are a good start.

You may have a WFCO converter/charger like mine. It would have a main 120 volt circuit breaker panel and a 12 volt fuse distribution panel. Usually the panel is behind a small door visible inside the RV and easily accessed by users.

Here is a link to something similar.
https://wfcoelectronics.com/product-...f-8500-series/

You may or may not have an inverter. An inverter converts 12 volts DC to 120 volts AC when you do not have shore power or generator power. An inverter usually has a big fuse or circuit breaker in a heavy cable between the inverter and the battery. This fuse or circuit breaker can stop charging.

Find the converter/charger and/or the circuit breaker panel and get the make and model number from the label on it. Manuals for them are usually posted on-line by the converter manufacturer.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote