Trade in value - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2014, 04:40 AM   #1

New Mexico
Trade in value

Does anyone have a site or suggestion to find a realistic trade in value of a 5th wheel? We are looking to downsize and are going to pursue purchasing a house when we do our next move. Thanks.

72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:43 AM   #2

British Columbia
I look at the local market to compare prices on dealer lots, then take 30-35% off and that's about what you can expect on a trade. That's assuming that everything is in working order, clean and there's not a bunch of stuff that they can beat you down on the value.

Check some of the dealer web sites, you can find a "What's my trade worth" calculators.

Personally I would research the prices then look at selling it privately. I would much rather let somebody cut the dealer out of the equation and put a few more dollars in my pocket.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:09 AM   #3

New Mexico
Very true however with our timeframe we might not have a choice other than the dealer. We hope we can find one that will give us what we owe and purchase a smaller unit at a decent price. I was happy enough when I traded in my 2011 for this unit so perhaps contacting the place I bought this one from might be a good first step.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #4

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mach View Post
Very true however with our timeframe we might not have a choice other than the dealer. We hope we can find one that will give us what we owe and purchase a smaller unit at a decent price. I was happy enough when I traded in my 2011 for this unit so perhaps contacting the place I bought this one from might be a good first step.
Good luck. I've got mine listed and it's going to be a blood bath. The dealers know Dutchmens reputation and the offers are corresponding. One offered 35K and another offered 45K. I know, I know..... I don't have to take either of them. But these are the offers for something that was near 90K less than 18 months ago. Another gotcha! from our friends at Dutchmen. Mine is listed privately now.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
Good luck. I've got mine listed and it's going to be a blood bath. The dealers know Dutchmens reputation and the offers are corresponding. One offered 35K and another offered 45K. I know, I know..... I don't have to take either of them. But these are the offers for something that was near 90K less than 18 months ago. Another gotcha! from our friends at Dutchmen. Mine is listed privately now.
Your 45K is about in the ball park, by the time the dealer inflates the prices for all of the stuff that he "had" to do to make your rig saleable. Then adds his 30% profit margin and the 10% that he is going to let some poor sole beat him down on the price.

They aren't call Stealerships for nothing.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #6

California
Sawpilot: We have been planning to sell our Kodiak and F150 as a package. The truck is set up to pull the trailer (281RLGS) and we installed air bags and an electronic brake on the truck. We were offered 38K for the package, but wonder about that offer. We live close to an air force base and they actually buy these rigs to rent to their servicemen and their families.

Our next step will be to purchase an F350 and a Dutchmen Infinity 3750 FL. We really like the front living and the extra room is really nice. Will you let everyone know when you sell yours?

We will have warranty to sell with ours because we purchased an extended warranty in 2011 when the trailer was new. I checked last week and was told that we can transfer the warranty. As soon as we are able to get the electrical bugs exterminated, we will sell.
birdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
You can check Kelly Blue Book and NADAguides, but take them with a grain of salt.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:05 AM   #8

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdlady View Post
Our next step will be to purchase an F350 and a Dutchmen Infinity 3750 FL. We really like the front living and the extra room is really nice. Will you let everyone know when you sell yours?
Birdlady, are you making a offer? Just kidding. I'll probably leave a message IF my trailer sells.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:12 AM   #9

California
We considered trading ours in, but we discovered that by selling it outright, we have a better chance of getting the price we want.

Nope, Jeff, I wasn't making an offer. I was just saying that your rig is exactly what we want. I think the Infinity is the best looking and most comfortable looking fifth wheel out there. The only change we need to make is that we want all the carpet taken out and simulated wood floors installed.
birdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:37 AM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdlady View Post
We considered trading ours in, but we discovered that by selling it outright, we have a better chance of getting the price we want.

Nope, Jeff, I wasn't making an offer. I was just saying that your rig is exactly what we want. I think the Infinity is the best looking and most comfortable looking fifth wheel out there. The only change we need to make is that we want all the carpet taken out and simulated wood floors installed.
The best thing you can do, put your emotions in your pocket and go shopping from a position of power. Like the saying says "cash talks, bulls-/: walks", the last thing any dealer wants is to see a sale walk off the lot.

After you negotiate a deal you are happy with, play along with their game to set up all the details, financing, insurance, warranties, etc, then drop the bomb shell. No I think we'll pay cash.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:42 AM   #11

New Mexico
We love our 3750 floor plan as well but my wife is ready for a house as we will be at our next location for probably 10 years (until retirement). We bought a leftover 2012 last March and got a really good deal so if a realistic trade in is 40-45k we would be happy with that unless we could sell it outright for that amount (or close to it) to be clear of it.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:16 AM   #12

New Mexico
Well this was the last straw, the dealer that was all into a fair trade to give me 42.5 backed out. They said they wouldn't take it so we will keep it and will sell it privately. I posted up about CWs reaction to this brand and to further add to it the original dealer said they would give me nothing more than 35k. I don't know what to say other than I didn't pay anything close to max but to be out 10s of k is ridiculous because of the shoddy quality of this line and this brand. What can be done?
Old 08-19-2014, 02:19 AM   #13

Arizona
My experience is the dealer will determine the trade-in value and you will take it or leave it.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote