Toilet Pipe to black tank blocked - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2020, 04:38 PM   #21

Wyoming
Just in case you guys don't get satisfaction through either your dealer or Dutchmen... I'd start drafting a letter to send in to Trailer Life's RV Resolutions people. They can sometimes get results when other means fail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0398.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	6301

Name:	IMG_0397.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	6302

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:12 PM   #22

Illinois
Trailer Life is the RV'rs BBB.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:45 PM   #23

Texas
To be honest, I am just hoping that it is something we can cut out on our own. I really do not want to break down, tow it to the shop, let them inspect it, tow it back to the site, set it back up, wait for parts to arrive, break it back down, tow to shop for repair.....and you can see how this issue becomes a huge time sink.
g2ktcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:37 PM   #24

Florida
Is it really wood? What is this thing made of? Have they changed the model of the toilet? Does the "stuff" not drop straight down into the black tank after the flapper is opened? How has this thing been working at all? Is the theory that it "spreads" the "stuff" more? How did the other person with the issue resolve it?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:43 PM   #25

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Is it really wood? What is this thing made of? Have they changed the model of the toilet? Does the "stuff" not drop straight down into the black tank after the flapper is opened? How has this thing been working at all? Is the theory that it "spreads" the "stuff" more? How did the other person with the issue resolve it?
The shelf appears to be plastic. It has a texture similar to what I call a pebbled surface. It does not move and yes, "stuff" builds up on it in about 4 days. Since we realized the issue, we are being super careful when we use the toilet to use as much water as possible. I am hoping that the engineers will answer my question as to what can be done. No one has resolved this problem to my knowledge. I only know that the problem exists in two different models from Dutchmen.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:50 PM   #26

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni4515 View Post
Thanks ATCGuy for showing me how to upload the pic.

The piece I'm referring to is the top half of the opening (that looks like silver on top, it's reflecting water). So the only opening is below that. I'm not sure we can fit a sawzall in there or even a drill but will check that out. Thanks!
does it look like this one that Jeni posted???
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2020, 12:57 PM   #27

Texas
Quote:
does it look like this one that Jeni posted???
exactly like that. (this is weird in that this is the second time I have replied to this. There is a bug in this forum software!)
Old 05-31-2020, 01:09 PM   #28

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2ktcf View Post
exactly like that. (this is weird in that this is the second time I have replied to this. There is a bug in this forum software!)
maybe you're getting old?
Old 05-31-2020, 01:50 PM   #29

Texas
Quote:
maybe you're getting old?
I am getting mail from AARP so I guess I am already there not matter what I think!
Old 06-14-2020, 11:25 PM   #30

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni4515 View Post
We took off the toilet and there is a "shelf" blocking the pipe (about 60% of the pipe). It's like they didn't cut the hole out all the way? Only the left side can get down to the black tank. And ideas or how to fix? Would post a pic but can't figure out how, sorry.

Jenifer
Update**
We decided to do the work ourselves and we found out what the "shelf" was. First, DO NOT cut it out, it is part of your tank. We were able to drop the tank, Dutchmen had cut the holes in the wrong place so the "shelf" we saw is actually the lip of the tank itself. Will need to replace the tank, again, we will do it ourselves to make sure it is right. Quality these days is not what it used to be. Hope this helps anyone else with this issue.

Name:	toilet blockage.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	6325

Name:	IMG_2949 (2).jpg
Views:	276
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	6326

Name:	IMG_2951.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	6327

Name:	IMG_2962.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	6328

Name:	IMG_2963 (2).jpg
Views:	266
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	6329
Jeni4515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #31

Florida
you should send them a bill.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:13 PM   #32

Texas
This is exactly what I was afraid of. We have to have different tank and piping modifications. This repair for us is going to get bad. I have a somewhat local service location (Vidor, TX while the unit is in Beaumont) and I will deal with them on this.

Are you going to get a different tank type and then repipe the connections?
Old 06-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #33

Texas
UPDATE: The service location that Keystone gave me cannot do the work. It has something to do with Texas law and that they have to be a registered dealer. So back to Keystone....UGGG.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:29 PM   #34

Tennessee
[QUOTE=Jeni4515;73846]Update**
We decided to do the work ourselves and we found out what the "shelf" was. First, DO NOT cut it out, it is part of your tank. We were able to drop the tank, Dutchmen had cut the holes in the wrong place so the "shelf" we saw is actually the lip of the tank itself. Will need to replace the tank, again, we will do it ourselves to make sure it is right. Quality these days is not what it used to be. Hope this helps anyone else with this issue.

Glad that you decided to do the work yourself. Looks like you have done well so far. Trick will be to find a tank that is full depth under the toilet drop pipe and still can be plumbed to the drain. But, I think you will get it and feel a whole lot better that the repair was done right. I have stopped going to dealerships for repairs unless under warranty.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:41 PM   #35

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Trick will be to find a tank that is full depth under the toilet drop pipe and still can be plumbed to the drain.
This is my concern. I now have to go back to CW for the warranty. I just sent them a message with Jen's photo's. We will see what they come back with.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:49 PM   #36

Tennessee
Quote:
This is my concern. I now have to go back to CW for the warranty. I just sent them a message with Jen's photo's. We will see what they come back with.
I feel your pain. My sister had so much trouble over a warranty claim (manufacturer and dealer claimed the other at fault) they finally fixed the problem themselves.

My advice to them was sometimes better to just get the problem solved and go have fun.

As also a boat owner, I am familiar with plastic tanks and know there are many sources online with all kinds of configurations. If warranty is a dead end, let us know and we'll help locate a tank.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:32 PM   #37

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I feel your pain. My sister had so much trouble over a warranty claim (manufacturer and dealer claimed the other at fault) they finally fixed the problem themselves.
This one is straight forward in my opinion. We have owned the unit less than 2 months and it was new when purchased. Then tank is obviously messed up in the design. I do not think the warranty will be an issue. I will have to stay on CW's butt to make sure they fix it correctly.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #38

Tennessee
Quote:
This one is straight forward in my opinion. We have owned the unit less than 2 months and it was new when purchased. Then tank is obviously messed up in the design. I do not think the warranty will be an issue. I will have to stay on CW's butt to make sure they fix it correctly.
Sounds like it is. Would be interested in hearing what their fix is.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:10 PM   #39

Texas
Most likely because we have to do an aftermarket purchase of the tank and Dutchmen won't foot that bill. We are going to an RV dealer today to order the tank so it will fit the brackets we have under the trailer. Taking the old one with us to make sure they order the correct tank (or one that will fit).
Jeni4515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:35 PM   #40

Texas
I would be interested in the new tank details for sure.

Thanks
Chris