To dump or not to dump??? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #1

Oklahoma
To dump or not to dump???

That question is for the self dumping Carefree awnings on my 3800. Mine didn't dump the water until after the awning support arm tore partially out of the fiber glass and the aluminum supports went south, and north and even an easterly direction. Then there's the hole in the glass where the pivot arm punched it.

$826 duckies the parts dude said

Two hours in the rain, hacksaw, sawsall, hose clamps, pry bar and a garden hoe is all it took to get it rolled back up.

When the rain quits I'll see about securing the awning to the rig for a trip to the dealer. Might as well have them replace the support arm while the thing is in for slide repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0419.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1336   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0420.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1337  

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #2

New York
Ouch!!!!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:18 PM   #3

Tennessee
dont know what to say....
Old 07-30-2014, 10:31 PM   #4

Montana
We don't have a self-dumper or self-retractor but I am super paranoid about my awning after leaving it out unattended when our TT was new and a quick rain storm blew through. The wind wrecked a support arm and it was in the $400 range to fix. The dealer said that they have to order the support arms by the pair but will only charge me for one since that is all I need. I suppose that was supposed to make me feel like I was getting a good deal. Now it has to be dead calm before I'll extend the awning all the way and I bring it in at the slightest heavy breeze!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #5

Oklahoma
It did self dump once or twice before but I guess you only get so many free dumps. I don't leave it extended when I'm not in the rig and it was just a nice little rain so I left it out so I could have the door open.

Neva again!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:24 PM   #6

Tennessee
I changed the pitch on mine and the water runs right off. When delivered it was straight out.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:19 AM   #7

Ontario
That hurts!!! o.O
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:10 AM   #8

Wyoming
I feel for ya!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:29 AM   #9

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
I changed the pitch on mine and the water runs right off. When delivered it was straight out.
Strange thing Slim, mine was pitched also that's why I wasn't concerned about it being up. I just don't understand why it didn't dump.

Lesson learned but daaaaaaaaaaamn!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:16 PM   #10

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Strange thing Slim, mine was pitched also that's why I wasn't concerned about it being up. I just don't understand why it didn't dump.
Oh it dumped alright... for the last time. I'll be bringing mine in the next good rain. Guess we'll just use it on sunny days with no wind or rain .... perfect conditions in other words.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:39 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
Oh it dumped alright... for the last time. I'll be bringing mine in the next good rain. Guess we'll just use it on sunny days with no wind or rain .... perfect conditions in other words.
The top rivet that pulled out of the skin wasn't completely expanded, almost like it hadn't been nothing more than shoved in the hole. I think if that rivet would have held I wouldn't be out the bucks for this failure. Incidently, the next rivet down held firmly in place and that's where the aluminum bent.

If that top rivet had been set fully the water may have dumped or the rivet would have pulled a large hole out of the skin when it came out.

Damn the RV industry being allowed to run free unfettered.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:05 PM   #12

Ontario
Last TT I had came equipped with a manual awning. I always wanted what I didn't have. Now that I have an electric...I soon realized that the manual wasn't so bad after all. At least I could attach some de-flappers or throw it into car port position if the weather was OK. Frame seemed much more solid too.

Price we pay for the convenience eh o.O
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:06 PM   #13

California
Electric awning I have on my Teton will automatically close when it rains or the wind starts to blow.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:43 AM   #14

Delaware
Don't know what model you have but mine is the Travel'r. It has adjustable pitch and auto dump but the manual says the auto dump wont work if the pitch is adjusted.

"THE AUTO-DUMP FEATURE
The flat pitch Travel'r and the adjustable pitch Travel'r (when the awning is set at the
minimum flat pitch) will automatically dump accumulated water. The feature works by
having one arm automatically folding partially closed to create a valley in the canopy.
The valley allows the water to run off one side to prevent pooling. When the rain has
stopped and the water has drained, the arm will extend back to normal.
This feature is disabled when accessories such as rafters, tie-downs or Add-A-Rooms
are installed and when the adjustable pitch awning is set in a rain release setting. "

It sucks that it happened to you, obviously the top rivet wasn't installed correctly. I checked mine and I have lag screws.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:15 AM   #15

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by prm99v6 View Post
Don't know what model you have but mine is the Travel'r. It has adjustable pitch and auto dump but the manual says the auto dump wont work if the pitch is adjusted.

"THE AUTO-DUMP FEATURE
The flat pitch Travel'r and the adjustable pitch Travel'r (when the awning is set at the
minimum flat pitch) will automatically dump accumulated water. The feature works by
having one arm automatically folding partially closed to create a valley in the canopy.
The valley allows the water to run off one side to prevent pooling. When the rain has
stopped and the water has drained, the arm will extend back to normal.
This feature is disabled when accessories such as rafters, tie-downs or Add-A-Rooms
are installed and when the adjustable pitch awning is set in a rain release setting. "

It sucks that it happened to you, obviously the top rivet wasn't installed correctly. I checked mine and I have lag screws.
I've been able to identify it as the Travel'R and it was adjusted one button hole. If the awning pitch is adjusted wouldn't that negate the need for the automatic dump?

Manual, you have a manual?

Check the lags to make sure they are tight, I discovered a long time ago one of the lags on the rear arm was finger tight. Hopefully they screwed them into some meat and not just the glass, you know those visually impaired installers up there in northern Indiana.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:45 AM   #16

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I've been able to identify it as the Travel'R and it was adjusted one button hole. If the awning pitch is adjusted wouldn't that negate the need for the automatic dump?

Manual, you have a manual?

Check the lags to make sure they are tight, I discovered a long time ago one of the lags on the rear arm was finger tight. Hopefully they screwed them into some meat and not just the glass, you know those visually impaired installers up there in northern Indiana.

Yes I am very familiar with those visually impaired installers. I have conversations with myself about them at least twice a day.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote