Tire pressure? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #1

Florida
Tire pressure?

I just had a set of Transeagle all steels put on my 30 foot Denali Fifthwheel. The tires are 14 ply with a max pressure of 110 lbs, the tire dealer set them to 95 lbs because that is the max pressure rating for my wheels. My question is will the wheels handle the pressure after heating up on the highway? The old tires were 10 plys with a max pressure of 80 lbs. I'm not sure if that rating on the wheels is a cold pressure with allowances for the pressure rising when hot or should I reduce the tire pressure to 80 lbs? I don't want to damage the tires by running low pressure.

rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #2

Florida
Max pressure wheel is rated at should be stamped on the inside of wheel. Also valve stem (rubber-v-steel) will also be a factor.

Welcome to the forum neighbor.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Max pressure wheel is rated at should be stamped on the inside of wheel. Also valve stem (rubber-v-steel) will also be a factor.

Welcome to the forum neighbor.
Yes it is stamped 95 lbs max and has steel valve stems. My question is should I run the tires at 95 lbs which is max for the wheels. When the tires get hot the pressure will rise, do they allow for that?
Old 07-02-2020, 05:36 PM   #4

Florida
Yes, tire pressure are rated as "cold" pressure, so it does take heat/pressure into account.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:49 PM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Yes, tire pressure are rated as "cold" pressure, so it does take heat/pressure into account.
Ok I have never dealt with a max pressure on a wheel before so I wasn't sure if they take heat into account like the tires do. They are aluminum wheels and I didn't want to bust a wheel. The tires are no problem because their max is 110 lbs.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:55 PM   #6

Ontario
Normally I would say "Run them at max" which is 95lbs in your case. However, in this case you're only running a 30' 5er and you don't need max pressure to carry the load safely.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:01 PM   #7

Ontario
Each of those tires is rated at 3950 lbs at 110psi. You'll probably be putting only 2000 on each.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:07 PM   #8

Florida
So do you think 80 lbs is enough?
Old 07-03-2020, 10:15 PM   #9

Texas
Here in Texas I see my tire pressure increase by as much as 7 psi on hot days. The sunny side will typically run 2 psi higher than the shady side. 85 psi cold should give you just a little safety margin with the 95 psi rim max pressure when things heat up.

Only other question now is can you run the tire pressure that low and maintain sidewall integrity.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:17 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pctomlin View Post
Here in Texas I see my tire pressure increase by as much as 7 psi on hot days. The sunny side will typically run 2 psi higher than the shady side. 85 psi cold should give you just a little safety margin with the 95 psi rim max pressure when things heat up.
Sounds good, thanks.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:06 PM   #11

Ohio
1. Pressures are ALWAYS the cold pressure. Tire engineers are aware that pressure will increase (2% for each 10 F). Wheel engiineers also know that the running "hot" pressure is higher so would take the increase into account.

2. Valves. Should be Bolt in type not the rubber "High Pressure type". I have two posts in my RVTireSafety blog just on this topic. June 24 and July 3. Including a video of a "Failed" rubber "high Pressure valve.

3. I would suggest you run 95 psi cold as that would give extra reserve needed to lower the chance of Interply Shear belt detachment. (also covered in my blog)

4 NEVER depend on the pressure increase cold>hot to get you to the pressure you want to run.

5 read my blog posts if you want technically correct information from an actual tire design engineer.
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:23 PM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
1. Pressures are ALWAYS the cold pressure. Tire engineers are aware that pressure will increase (2% for each 10 F). Wheel engiineers also know that the running "hot" pressure is higher so would take the increase into account.

2. Valves. Should be Bolt in type not the rubber "High Pressure type". I have two posts in my RVTireSafety blog just on this topic. June 24 and July 3. Including a video of a "Failed" rubber "high Pressure valve.

3. I would suggest you run 95 psi cold as that would give extra reserve needed to lower the chance of Interply Shear belt detachment. (also covered in my blog)

4 NEVER depend on the pressure increase cold>hot to get you to the pressure you want to run.

5 read my blog posts if you want technically correct information from an actual tire design engineer.
Thank you.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:46 PM   #13

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyons View Post
I just had a set of Transeagle all steels put on my 30 foot Denali Fifthwheel. The tires are 14 ply with a max pressure of 110 lbs, the tire dealer set them to 95 lbs because that is the max pressure rating for my wheels. My question is will the wheels handle the pressure after heating up on the highway? The old tires were 10 plys with a max pressure of 80 lbs. I'm not sure if that rating on the wheels is a cold pressure with allowances for the pressure rising when hot or should I reduce the tire pressure to 80 lbs? I don't want to damage the tires by running low pressure.
FORGET THE RATING OF THE TIRE! All that matters is that you have a higher rated tire than stock.
You still want to put the pressure in those new tires as stated on your RV’s sticker. All you have now is added insurance “peace of mind” on weight and speed ratings!
I changed over to Goodyear Endurance immediately upon bringing my new RV home. 14 ply instead of 10, 87 MPH rated instead of ...60(?) and half again the weight rating at full pressure BUT I DO NOT NEED THAT FULL PRESSURE. I need the pressure rated for my RV’s weight, that is all.
So now my tires will FLY at 70 MPH in the middle of the Arizona summer and I will not have a care in the world...until my next stop when I check them all! ALWAYS!
Max pressure will give your rig an extra 1 -2 points harder/harsher ride on the Richter scale is all you will accomplish. Instead of a 3.5 earthquake rolling down the road, you might attain a 5+! Look that up!
Rockerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:01 PM   #14

Florida
My rv sticker calls for 80 psi with 10 ply tires. The new 14 ply tires call for 110 lbs max and my wheels say 95 psi max. That's what makes it confusing. I know I can't run more than 95 lbs bacause of the wheels. Right now they have 90 lbs in them. The tire dealer put them at 95 lbs.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:11 PM   #15

Georgia
Put the pressure in them YOUR STICKER CALLS FOR and you just “rock on down the highway” my Friend!
Ply’s & construction actually have no bearing here. Just put the pressure your manufacturer plate state’s and you are GOLDEN.
As I stated:: with LOTS.of headroom for heat & speed left for safety! Plus a more cushy rude for your RV and all that is in there.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:51 AM   #16

California
Have not noticed if the rig has been weighed fully loaded. If not do this so you know the weight that the tires will need to carry.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:21 AM   #17

Arizona
Quote:
Here's the deal, if you don't run them at max you will wear out the the edges prematurely . Run at max and watch your tire wear. If center is wearing , drop the pressure a bit. Sailun 16 ply 235x16
Yamaha YXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #18

Georgia
Scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
Have not noticed if the rig has been weighed fully loaded. If not do this so you know the weight that the tires will need to carry.
I always load up my truck & trailer and head over to a set of scales at a truck stop
Weigh your vehicle & trailer in all aspects to ensure proper tongue weight and total weight. This is very important for safety and then gives you an idea of latitude moving forward as an example: how much more cargo or water storage can I carry and will I still be under my max trailer weight capacity?
The other thing on tires is to keep an eye on them, if you have the centers wearing more, or the edges...adjust air pressure accordingly but you always want to start with the vehicle manufacturers recommendation.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:33 PM   #19

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha YXZ View Post
Here's the deal, if you don't run them at max you will wear out the the edges prematurely . Run at max and watch your tire wear. If center is wearing , drop the pressure a bit. Sailun 16 ply 235x16
I can't run them at the 110 lb max because my wheels are rated at 95 psi.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:48 PM   #20

Georgia
Quote:
I can't run them at the 110 lb max because my wheels are rated at 95 psi.
That is why I suggested, as I have always done, is to “start” at the manufacturer’s tire pressure as shown on your RV’s sticker. This is best practice as a starting point and your experience with your combination will eventually show you the right pressure for your exact setup.
Never exceed any limits whether it is wheels or any part of your RV, stay well within nominal ranges and you will maximize your personal safety as well as others on the highway.
These “boxes” we own are not the best built “custom” coaches, but rather they are literally thrown together in a factory where “how many did we get out the door today” is the only stat that matters, surely not quality.
Monitor everything and often! 😊