Tell me again why I should buy a Dutchman product - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #1

Oklahoma
Tell me again why I should buy a Dutchman product

The pix are apparently Dutchman's attemp to save five bucks per unit.

You guys that are waiting on delivery you want to be sure and look at everything, EVERYTHING, and get on the roof. If the salesman or PDI person gets antsy tell 'em to take a break, it's your money.

If I ever have another brain fart and buy a Dutchman product I pity the PDI person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0377.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	911   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0378.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	912   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0379.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	913   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0380.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	914  

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #2

Arizona
Sorry to see that. Appears you have a shrinkage issue. From the silicone left behind it is evident that the molding was put on correctly but then shrunk. Are you then saying that Voltage is putting on an inferior molding? And isn't there a chance all the manufacturers are using the same molding?

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:31 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Shrinking issue, yes. Inferior molding, I don't think so. Probably all manufacturers are using the same molding as it appears to be a common product.

However, caulk of any kind isn't a replacement for an end cap that is screwed in place to cover the ugly edge and prevent shrinkage.

Ends caps cost me 50 cents apiece for a bag of ten. Buy them by the truckload and they are a few pennies to the manufacturer but if they don't use them there is a substantial savings on their part.

I have three bags of end caps and two coils of new molding on the way. When I'm finished the molding ends will be finished off and sealed and won't look like it was caulked in using a garden hose.

The manufacture can do this as well, the blind installer is standing there anyway screwing down the rails so what's one more screw and a few seconds. The answer of course is the almighty dollar saved.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #4

Arizona
I looked at the molding on my trailer and it is not the same as in your picture.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:14 AM   #5

Tennessee
Mine doesn't look like that either!
Old 04-19-2014, 04:27 AM   #6

Utah
It's a wood or aluminum famed shell with ether fiberglass or other skin with plastic trim that rolls down the road at 65-70 mph. It sits in temps that range from (my local) - 10 to 115* f . How anyone expect any manufacturers to build something that does not have some type of movement is beyond me. I'm not saying that there isn't away but it comes at a price! To assume that this is a Dutchman only issue is very one sided. I have been around a lot of different trailer/5ers and have seen more than my share of break downs in what some would see as deal breakers. I only ask that folks don't compare what they have to there home and expect that a rolling home should hold up to the same levels. Its ment to move. It's ment to flex. It's ment to expand and shrink. It's a trailer. If folks are not willing or able to to deal with a minor leek, loose wire, molding sagging, and other minor blemishes and are not able or will to repair on there own or expect that its poor quality, they should not own a trailer or a 5ers. You will never be happy. I build and remodel homes for a living and I might have a different view of how things are built and what to expect from them. However even with a home with a foundation you still need to maintain things. Just because you think or they say it zero maintenance its not. All that said. The black trim molding on my Kodiak has expanded and shrunk. If you would be as so kind to share with me the link that you bought your "end cover or molding cap?" (Not sure what they are caled) I would like to order some as well.
bcs slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:58 AM   #7

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
The pix are apparently Dutchman's attemp to save five bucks per unit.

You guys that are waiting on delivery you want to be sure and look at everything, EVERYTHING, and get on the roof. If the salesman or PDI person gets antsy tell 'em to take a break, it's your money.

If I ever have another brain fart and buy a Dutchman product I pity the PDI person.
Mine are missing in a few spots too. Can I get a link please to the piece I need? Thanks.
72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcs slc View Post
It's a wood or aluminum famed shell with ether fiberglass or other skin with plastic trim that rolls down the road at 65-70 mph. It sits in temps that range from (my local) - 10 to 115* f . How anyone expect any manufacturers to build something that does not have some type of movement is beyond me. I'm not saying that there isn't away but it comes at a price! To assume that this is a Dutchman only issue is very one sided. I have been around a lot of different trailer/5ers and have seen more than my share of break downs in what some would see as deal breakers. I only ask that folks don't compare what they have to there home and expect that a rolling home should hold up to the same levels. Its ment to move. It's ment to flex. It's ment to expand and shrink. It's a trailer. If folks are not willing or able to to deal with a minor leek, loose wire, molding sagging, and other minor blemishes and are not able or will to repair on there own or expect that its poor quality, they should not own a trailer or a 5ers. You will never be happy. I build and remodel homes for a living and I might have a different view of how things are built and what to expect from them. However even with a home with a foundation you still need to maintain things. Just because you think or they say it zero maintenance its not. All that said. The black trim molding on my Kodiak has expanded and shrunk. If you would be as so kind to share with me the link that you bought your "end cover or molding cap?" (Not sure what they are caled) I would like to order some as well.
Just asking for the link would have been sufficient, I didn't or don't need a lecture regarding my unit.

So I guess as a builder and remodeler leaking pipes, popped Sheetrock screws, cracked foundations and sagging insulation is OK in your book?
Old 04-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mach View Post
Mine are missing in a few spots too. Can I get a link please to the piece I need? Thanks.
10 1" Universal White Molding Trim Plastic End Cap RV camper 5th Wheel Trailer | eBay

Check out their store also, they have some goodies plus the caps in black.

Here's the kicker, I never had any to become missing!!
Old 04-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
Mine doesn't look like that either!
Can you post a pic of your finished ends please?
Old 04-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #11

Tennessee
Quote:
Can you post a pic of your finished ends please?
Im out of town and cant do picture from this tablet. Is your photos on the side trim? The only place I see this trim is on the front cap extending down front section where generator door is.

The side trim that goes all the way down the side is a plastic strip with no end pieces or caps.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #12

Oklahoma
In the fourth photo you can see where the trim covers the junction of the side fiber glass and the lower tin skirt. That photo is right at the garage man door but the trim covers the entire length of the rig except where there are openings for doors and such.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #13

Utah
Quote:
Just asking for the link would have been sufficient, I didn't or don't need a lecture regarding my unit.

So I guess as a builder and remodeler leaking pipes, popped Sheetrock screws, cracked foundations and sagging insulation is OK in your book?
Hey Sundancer , thanks for the link. I just ordered my self some black ones.

Regarding your comment about me thinking poor craftsmanship is ok with me... well your are way off base. My post was not ment to come across as a "lecture about your rig" and I'm sorry if it came off that way. I was only offering my humble opinion about the subject of trailer construction and backing it up my knowledge of building. I was not trying to take a personal swing at you.
Thanks again for the link.
bcs slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #14

Oklahoma
The new trim plastic is in and so are the end caps. Quick delivery from both places.
Off to Lowes to get the SS screws to install the caps and keep the trim in place.

Speaking of SS screws, yesterday I was going over the molding lines on the rig, sort of like the guy does when he checks the body lines on his Rolls Royce. I noticed a broken caulking line where the trim molding finishes off the bottom of the nose and the wall.

What I found was water had found its way past the broken caulking line and on down to the bottom where it caused the non-stainless steel screws to rust and pull away. Being covered by the plastic trim the rust wasn't visible until I pulled it down.

Now, it's the chicken or egg thing. Did the screws lose grip allowing the trim to drop and break the caulk seal or did the caulk seal open up and allow the screws to rust and allow the trim to drop?

It's a new game every day with these things.

Another money saving tactic by using inadequate exterior fasteners.