Stabilizer question..... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2022, 12:05 AM   #1

North Carolina
Stabilizer question.....

Do I need pads or stones under the stabilizers if the area I am parking in is all gravel? Have six auto leveling legs.

unclecooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:59 AM   #2

Illinois
Nope, not needed. I did buy snaps pads that fit and stay on the legs, as some resorts require them.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:42 AM   #3

California
I use four 2x8's and a 6 x 8 block for the tounge.
Wood comes easy to get
I like to keep it simple

2003 GMC Sierra 1500
2016 Dutchmen Kodiak, Ultra Lite
trucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 12:46 AM   #4

Arkansas
You do not. When I am overnighting, I do not use anything. If the ground is solid enough to support my Voltage, it is solid enough for the jacks. When I am staying longterm (10 -30 days) I put pavers underneath the pads. Primarily to reduce the "popping" in the hydraulic system.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:35 PM   #5

Florida
If you want to reduce "bounce" in your RV when folks walk, use something that will not allow the stabilizers to extend so far down. I use the BULLKE since the Anderson's are too tall to fit under my stabilizers. they're still expensive for whatever reason!! made out of Recycled materials.

BULLKE (USA Made) Trailer Jack Block Stand | 18,000 lbs Capacity Trailer & RV Stabilizing Pads | Strongest Blocks for RV 5th Wheel Camper, Post, Foot, Tongue Jack, or Stabilizer Round
franktafl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 04:36 PM   #6

California
I carry 2 sets of these to handle any condition. Always use them under the stabilizers as have bigger footprint and do not have to extend stabilizer a long ways. The longer it is the more sway you can get.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leveler.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	7509  

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 05:02 PM   #7

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
I carry 2 sets of these to handle any condition. Always use them under the stabilizers as have bigger footprint and do not have to extend stabilizer a long ways. The longer it is the more sway you can get.
Ok, take the following for what it’s worth… but IMO, those are the worst option one could ever choose for the task.

I have personally seen 2 rigs significantly damaged because of those things, when the leveling-legs slid right off of them. The tops of those “Lego blocks” have no traction, and/or containment rim for the feet of the legs… and under the “right” conditions (uneven terrain, soft/unstable terrain, wet weather, etc), they can simply slide right off of them. This results in thousands of dollars worth of bent & broken gear, body damage, and a hell of an inconvenience.

If you need them, they’re better than nothing… but there are much better options out there, including just crosscutting a 5-foot length of 2” x 10” lumber into six individual 10” x 10” sections.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:36 PM   #8

California
Used blocks with wheel stabilizer on all my travel trailers for over 20 years. Have never had them slip out or off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel chocks.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	7510  

Old 11-17-2022, 09:45 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Ok, take the following for what it’s worth… but IMO, those are the worst option one could ever choose for the task.

I have personally seen 2 rigs significantly damaged because of those things, when the leveling-legs slid right off of them. The tops of those “Lego blocks” have no traction, and/or containment rim for the feet of the legs… and under the “right” conditions (uneven terrain, soft/unstable terrain, wet weather, etc), they can simply slide right off of them. This results in thousands of dollars worth of bent & broken gear, body damage, and a hell of an inconvenience.

If you need them, they’re better than nothing… but there are much better options out there, including just crosscutting a 5-foot length of 2” x 10” lumber into six individual 10” x 10” sections.

Used stabilizers NOT leveler. Trailer is leveled with Anderson levelers under the low wheels.

Old 11-18-2022, 05:26 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Used blocks with wheel stabilizer on all my travel trailers for over 20 years. Have never had them slip out or off.
I thought about getting a set of these but right now I'm using the chocks which are starting to get a little old. I guess these will be my next choice but not sure with a six point leveling system if I will need them or not.
franktafl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 06:50 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:

Same here. Never had an issue and my grandfather had something similar looking for his Airstream years ago and he never had issues. I have a concern that they will eventually deteriorate in the sun so I scrap them every 15 years or so and replace.
SlowNEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:11 PM   #12

Wyoming
Hey guys… I know they’re popular, that they’re sold in every RV store, and I’m not telling anyone not to use ‘em. I’m just telling you what my own eyeballs have seen… and I happened to be sitting outside on my toy hauler patio when one of those occasions happened to the rig in the campsite right next to me in the West Yellowstone KOA.

As the guy said on that occasion… “I’ve been using those things for years, and never had that happen before”.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote