Solar Panel Mounting?? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2021, 07:06 PM   #1

Virginia
Solar Panel Mounting??

Can someone show me some pics of the best way to mount a SOLAR PANEL on my Voltage? I’ve got all the wires run and ready to mount the panel. Just not sure the best way to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Roger P.

Wydoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:27 AM   #2

Michigan
I used the "Z" clips that came with mine. and used dicor in the holes I drilled, under the clips, on top of the screws and them Eternabond on top of that. No leaks in the 7 years they have been up there.
https://www.dutchmenowners.org/forum...html#post15064

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:32 AM   #3

Michigan
These are what I used.
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Solar-...63559526&psc=1
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:00 AM   #4

California
And use butyl tape wherever you use screws as it helps seal threads.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:20 PM   #5

Washington
Definitely use Dicor self-leveling (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for sealing around the mounts. I used these mounts from Amazon which are amazing and solid, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Thanks for going solar, no more generator exhaust polluting the air and quieter.
Logging the miles in the USA. Adventure awaits around every corner.
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:44 AM   #6

Oregon
I used Renogy two piece curved mounting brackets. Renogy provides four screws per bracket that said I did not like the screws Renogy provided. A fine thread did not want to bite in wood very good. I replaced them with #12 stainless 1" round head screws with a course thread. I did not pre drill. I put down a small strip of Eternabond under the bottom bracket. The Eternabond will seal around the screw as it goes through. Then seal around bottom bracket with self leveling dicor. Cleaning a little lightly with Acetone.

Best way to do this is to set your panels, put down your strip of Enterabond or use Butyl if you prefer. Then remove the panel exposing the four mounted brackets. This will make it much easier to liberally apply Dicor evenly around the bracket.

A two piece bracket makes since if needed you can remove the panel leaving the lower mounting bracket not disturbing the seal. Also my roof is curved the two piece brackets are adjustable.
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Mounti.../dp/B0751T3QV6

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:23 PM   #7
RDJ

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
I used Renogy two piece curved mounting brackets. Renogy provides four screws per bracket that said I did not like the screws Renogy provided. A fine thread did not want to bite in wood very good. I replaced them with #12 stainless 1" round head screws with a course thread. I did not pre drill. I put down a small strip of Eternabond under the bottom bracket. The Eternabond will seal around the screw as it goes through. Then seal around bottom bracket with self leveling dicor. Cleaning a little lightly with Acetone.

Best way to do this is to set your panels, put down your strip of Enterabond or use Butyl if you prefer. Then remove the panel exposing the four mounted brackets. This will make it much easier to liberally apply Dicor evenly around the bracket.

A two piece bracket makes since if needed you can remove the panel leaving the lower mounting bracket not disturbing the seal. Also my roof is curved the two piece brackets are adjustable.
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Mounti.../dp/B0751T3QV6

Yes the self tapping fine threaded screws Renogy provide are not a good screw for the cheap wafer board that is under the rubber roof, the self tapping will as you will eat the meat out of the wood causing the fine thread not to grip well, what I used was a rubber threaded well nut with stainless steel screws ( did not no how to post pics) and then sealed down as above mentioned, just my 2cents worth..
Old 04-04-2021, 07:40 AM   #8

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Yes the self tapping fine threaded screws Renogy provide are not a good screw for the cheap wafer board that is under the rubber roof, the self tapping will as you will eat the meat out of the wood causing the fine thread not to grip well, what I used was a rubber threaded well nut with stainless steel screws ( did not no how to post pics) and then sealed down as above mentioned, just my 2cents worth..
I agree the Renogy screws are more like a sheet metal screw not made for wood. Especially if you have a thin Luan sheathing for roofing. Then I don't think any screw will work and Well Nuts would be your best choice.

Curious on how many Well Nuts per bracket did you use?
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:53 AM   #9
RDJ

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
I agree the Renogy screws are more like a sheet metal screw not made for wood. Especially if you have a thin Luan sheathing for roofing. Then I don't think any screw will work and Well Nuts would be your best choice.

Curious on how many Well Nuts per bracket did you use?
I used 2 well nuts per bracket, drilled the holes, drove in the well nuts, put sealer down, then bracket, then resealed again around bracket and over stainless screw, no issues at all