Shower pan leak - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #1

Florida
Shower pan leak

1992 Dutchmen with plastic shower developed 4-inch crack in shower pan about 6 inches off of side wall...best repair?

Encoredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #2

Florida
pictures? Flex tape may be the quickest way to repair it! When you press down on either side, is there anything underneath?

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #3

Florida
Thanks, actually just tried that...it's v-shaped toward outside of tub... drilled out each end of crack to keep from continuing, hit something underneath one end but not other, cleaned surface, applied tape; of course spot is exactly where u stand...took shower, so far so good ...fingers/toes/eyes crossed
Old 04-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encoredude View Post
Thanks, actually just tried that...it's v-shaped toward outside of tub... drilled out each end of crack to keep from continuing, hit something underneath one end but not other, cleaned surface, applied tape; of course spot is exactly where u stand...took shower, so far so good ...fingers/toes/eyes crossed
You gotta really be careful that when you use it no water gets through! If you are not going to replace it, I would use some of that spray foam or something like it to shore up the pan but make sure there is nothing under there first.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #5

Missouri
Quote:
1992 Dutchmen with plastic shower developed 4-inch crack in shower pan about 6 inches off of side wall...best repair?
I had a 2012 Kodiak 255bhsl in which the shower tub had no supports, and a consequence when I stepped into the shower it crushed the drain pipe. You might want to check and determine if possible whether the tub has adequate supports.
Robert Cowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:51 PM   #6

Illinois
Just throwing this out there,, could you grind a little off around the crack and re-fiberglass the area ?
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:15 AM   #7

Florida
Thanks

Unfortunately no access to base except ugly cutting open tub base side...friend tried fiberglass, failure...been OK for a week, just don't step there...heading back North soon, maybe just punt to next year...just win lottery so can get replacement!
Old 04-11-2019, 12:46 AM   #8

Illinois
Quote:
Unfortunately no access to base except ugly cutting open tub base side...friend tried fiberglass, failure...been OK for a week, just don't step there...heading back North soon, maybe just punt to next year...just win lottery so can get replacement!
Just a thought,,,, good luck
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:56 AM   #9

Alberta
I fixed mine the first time by drilling the end of the crack and then repairing the crack itself with epoxy. But it did not hold, because I could not completely eliminate the flexing of the pan. So the second time I repaired it with a strip of Eternabond. Works great.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
Just throwing this out there,, could you grind a little off around the crack and re-fiberglass the area ?
Most of the tubs and showers are some form of ABS, fiberglass doesn't work well and typically isn't flexible.

Best repair I have seen to date has been to drill a couple of small holes at the ends of the cracks and using Eternabond tape. Also adding support blocks of some sort helps.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #11

Georgia
It wouldn’t be pretty but I’d try to glue a strip of shower pan liner over the crack using 3m 5200

Beck is offline   Reply With Quote