Schwintek getting repaired - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #1

Indiana
Schwintek getting repaired

My rig's at the repair facility getting fixed today. After the repair was done and secure they ran the slide in and out. It now goes all the way and seals up against the wall as it should.

They will finish up by sealing beneath the lower facia and the underneath of the slide tomorrow.

I am stoked to take our trip to Florida next weekend. This will be less stress knowing that the slide will function as it was designed.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
My rig's at the repair facility getting fixed today. After the repair was done and secure they ran the slide in and out. It now goes all the way and seals up against the wall as it should.

They will finish up by sealing beneath the lower facia and the underneath of the slide tomorrow.

I am stoked to take our trip to Florida next weekend. This will be less stress knowing that the slide will function as it was designed.
Great news mister!!!!

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #3

Washington
Wow, that is fantastic!! But last we heard you had just started to contact Keystone. Sounds like somene responded. Did they replace the floor? Mine doesn't go in until Dec 1st. Waiting on a repair slot and the parts. Have a great trip and keep us informed.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #4

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
Wow, that is fantastic!! But last we heard you had just started to contact Keystone. Sounds like somene responded. Did they replace the floor? Mine doesn't go in until Dec 1st. Waiting on a repair slot and the parts. Have a great trip and keep us informed.
I already had an appointment with the repair facility about 3 weeks ago. That was prior to contacting Dutchmen/Keystone. I am not under warranty. When I contacted Dutchmen they asked me to send pictures. I did send the pictures that same day. The same person that had ignored me before is doing the same thing, now. His name is Dan DeLong. I really didn't think that he had changed his ways.

I own several commercial trucks and equipment. When something needs to be fixed we get it done. Same with my recreational vehicle. I can't wait for a company that drags their feet.

I am leaving for Florida next week. We were not going to postpone our departure time waiting for a piece of wafer board from the factory. We have rebuilt the board and have created a water shield so water will not penetrate, again.

I am going to purchase another rear living 5er in the future. After looking at the inside of my bedroom slide and for many other reasons Dutchmen is not on the list.

The slide now slides in and seals up against the trailer wall. Which, it has never done in the 20 months I've owned it.

My RV repair guys are the best.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 11-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #5

Washington
I talked to my guy at CW and asked if the replacement floor would be an improvement over the original. He said it would probably be the same floor (OSB) but they'd take a good look and get it sealed properly this time (fingers crossed). I f I have the problem again, I'll fix it and dump it. As you say, Dutchmen and for that matter, THOR, will not be on the list. The old Teton Homes factory produces custom built units I hear and that was one of the best back in its day. Glad you were able to get a satisfactory repair. Go and enjoy the sun.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
I already had an appointment with the repair facility about 3 weeks ago. That was prior to contacting Dutchmen/Keystone. I am not under warranty. When I contacted Dutchmen they asked me to send pictures. I did send the pictures that same day. The same person that had ignored me before is doing the same thing, now. His name is Dan DeLong. I really didn't think that he had changed his ways.

I own several commercial trucks and equipment. When something needs to be fixed we get it done. Same with my recreational vehicle. I can't wait for a company that drags their feet.

I am leaving for Florida next week. We were not going to postpone our departure time waiting for a piece of wafer board from the factory. We have rebuilt the board and have created a water shield so water will not penetrate, again.

I am going to purchase another rear living 5er in the future. After looking at the inside of my bedroom slide and for many other reasons Dutchmen is not on the list.

The slide now slides in and seals up against the trailer wall. Which, it has never done in the 20 months I've owned it.

My RV repair guys are the best.

Ok, so give it up already!!! Who did the repairs to the slide? I might not get the warm and fuzzys from the Tulsa dealer so I might drag this thing somewhere else that comes with a recommendation.

I've searched many toy haulers with slides and it seems as if Lippert has their hand in each and every one of them. I don't see a rig with a big slide w/o the Lippert thing and I'm wanting to dump this baby as soon as I can find a suitable replacement.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #7

Washington
Sundancer 87, have you seen where he lives? BRRRR! If you get in you might not get out!
Old 11-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #8

Indiana
Ok, Ok, Okaaaaaay. It is Coastal RV Repair in my hometown of Topsham, Maine. The nearest Dutchmen Infinity Dealer is a 100 miles away in our neighboring State of New Hampshire.

The guy that started this RV business 4 years ago serviced and sold Newmar MH's and 5th wheel units. He worked with his father-in-laws years previous.

He is not a fan of the Schwintek slide and still isn't. He doesn't like the fact that there are no adjustments. When my unit was under warranty he actually turned down working on the schwintek slides. He had already had a bad experience in the year prior. Even the Schwintek factory tech had to come in and work on a slide for two days. He all but said no. I begged and convinced him that things will be different with the Dutchmen company this time (was I wrong).

I had been reading this forum and finally came upon water damage discussions on the Schwintek slides. So, with that information and him digging into the underside of the slide he determined that the bottom board was swelling out just at the outer wall of the slide. This placed pressure upward and would bind the lower schwintek gear and rail of the slide.

So, here I am seeing the slide go in and out correctly. Hope it stays that way.

I hope yours is the same issue with your slide. Then, it will be easier for them to determine the problem.

Good Luck!!!

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 11-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #9

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
Sundancer 87, have you seen where he lives? BRRRR! If you get in you might not get out!
That's a chance he'll have to take. We'll see how bad he wants his slide fixed.

PS. He'd only be in here 'till May. Ha Ha Ha Ha!

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 11-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #10

Oklahoma
Quote:
That's a chance he'll have to take. We'll see how bad he wants his slide fixed.

PS. He'd only be in here 'till May. Ha Ha Ha Ha!
I have a friend that lives in Rockport and haven't seen the ole wharf rat for a few years. He says it warms up, sometimes.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #11

Oklahoma
Quote:
Ok, Ok, Okaaaaaay. It is Coastal RV Repair in my hometown of Topsham, Maine. The nearest Dutchmen Infinity Dealer is a 100 miles away in our neighboring State of New Hampshire.

The guy that started this RV business 4 years ago serviced and sold Newmar MH's and 5th wheel units. He worked with his father-in-laws years previous.

He is not a fan of the Schwintek slide and still isn't. He doesn't like the fact that there are no adjustments. When my unit was under warranty he actually turned down working on the schwintek slides. He had already had a bad experience in the year prior. Even the Schwintek factory tech had to come in and work on a slide for two days. He all but said no. I begged and convinced him that things will be different with the Dutchmen company this time (was I wrong).

I had been reading this forum and finally came upon water damage discussions on the Schwintek slides. So, with that information and him digging into the underside of the slide he determined that the bottom board was swelling out just at the outer wall of the slide. This placed pressure upward and would bind the lower schwintek gear and rail of the slide.

So, here I am seeing the slide go in and out correctly. Hope it stays that way.

I hope yours is the same issue with your slide. Then, it will be easier for them to determine the problem.

Good Luck!!!
I haven't seen any swelling or water infiltration, just the top gear ate the rack for some reason. We'll see what Tulsa says next month.
The difficult part is being out of my home for a month or so.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #12

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
The difficult part is being out of my home for a month or so.

I totally understand. This is the third time my trailer has been in for a week for a slide issue (bedroom hydraulic). The first time to diagnose the issues with the trailer in addition to the slide. The second week was to repair the slide which is wasnt due to unforseen damage according to CW and the third time is this week and I still dont know if it will get fixed. Each week is another 250 bucks towards a hotel and the inconvienence. The sad thing is CW asked that I call Dutchmen and stress the damage that they didnt see initially so they could re-authorize the repair :-( NEVER again with a Dutchmen!
72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:34 AM   #13

New Mexico
Well its not fixed yet again, this time its a 'crossbar' that needs to be ordered. They won't get it again until scheduled vacation at Christmas ��
72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:05 AM   #14

Washington
Sorry to hear that. I'm starting to get apprehensive about getting mine fixed the first time. But I'm going to put my faith behind the local CW. The warranty guy seems to really have a handle on these Dutchmen problems. He's seen quite a few. We'll know in a couple of weeks.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #15

Indiana
I feel like we're in a "boys club" that you really don't want to be a part of. I hope for everybody's sake that your slides get taken care of and work indefinitely from that point.

My slide was about the bottom board having gotten wet and swelling. This happened due to the caulking of the lower facia having failed. This allowed rain water to infiltrate in and get the edge of the board wet.

After the fix, they have over caulked the inside corner of the facia and then caulked the outside edge. I feel confident that this particular issue won't happen again.

I'll always have a fear of this slide. I don't believe it will ever go away.

Best of luck to all who have a slide issue. Hopefully, your slide issues are found and then fixed.

All the worries in the wonderful world of camping life...........the slide shouldn't be one of them.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 11-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #16

Wyoming
Not trying to minimize anyone's issues with this post... but just trying to get a good handle on what the exact issues are.

Am I correct in my assessment of reading these & other posts about problems with the various slides out there... that as of now, the only person who's had a problem with the actual Schwintek system itself is sundancer 87?

As far as I can tell, while others may have that system on their rigs... his is the only one that I recall reading to have had a primary failure of Schwintek gear system . All of the others have had have had subsequent problems to their slides because of primary failures of other components (water leakage, bad control panel, faulty electrical, poor initial setup @ factory).

I agree that having no adjustment mechanism for the system sucks... and I agree that not having an easy & accessible way of manually moving the slides if the system fails sucks.

However, that said, I keep reading all of these problems with "the Schwintek slides", and reading stories about technicians who say they have lots of issues with Schwintek slides... when the real problem doesn't really seem to be the Schwintek system at all, except in sundancer 87's case. The other cases all seem to be subsequent failures stemming from other primary failures.

If that's correct... then I don't know that I can damn an entire system based on a single case. I've never seen any product that had a 100% non-failure rate.

Again, not trying to minimize anyone's misfortune at all. I'm simply saying that... based on what I've read on these forums... while the Schwintek system isn't necessarily 'user friendly' if problems do arise, there doesn't appear to be any problem with the system itself having multiple failures and/or issues.

Just some random thoughts on a Friday morning...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #17

Oklahoma
ATCguy has a valid question and an interesting take on why we blame failure on a certain component or subsystem.

However, if I told you that I had to replace the electrolytic capacitors in my TV's power supply recently would you want to know or would be more informed if you knew the maker of the caps, the designer of the powerboard or the Samsung name on the front of the failed component. Same as with the slide system. I don't know if a mounting system or component failed or the gear head on the motor failed or if indeed the aircraft grade aluminum track failed.
What I do know and what most will be familiar with is Schwintek and the slide that has their name on it. Next is Dutchman and then Lippert and then Thor.
We, as humans that are fed brand names on a minute by minute basis are trained to retain brand, model, flavor and even Corthian leather names so therefore that's what we are familiar with.

I agree with ATCguy completely but it ain't our fault, the name sticks out and in this case. so does my slide.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #18

Washington
Throwing Scwintek under the bus isn't exactly what's happening here. In the pursuit of profit, these manufacturers have used the cheapest materials they thought they could get away with. In this case the OSB floor boards in the slide area coupled with an area that is hard to seal properly is causing the problem. Once the board swells a little it binds and puts more "pressure" on the system that is Schwintek. I think in a perfect world the Schwintek system could be reliable. But I also think the manufacturers should view these problems that are occuring and make improvements. Like using a synthetic floor board that won't absorb water and swell. And Schwintek should be getting involved and insist on it as part of the installation. While I blame Dutchmen for the poor quality, its Lippert Schwintek thats taking a lot of the abuse. I've already been told that the replacement parts coming in will be the same OSB. That means the "fix" will be a better seal job. So this is dependant on the experience of the technician. And it will not last forever. In almost any other industry this would trigger a recall. A new material could solve the problem completely. When I asked if I could supply a synthetic floor I was told since it was being done under warranty they had to use what the manufacturer sent. We'll see how long the repair lasts.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #19

Michigan
you would think that in an area that is so criticle as to close tolerance these builders would want to use a componant that is more stable than osb or particle board. could use a product like starboard or wood satured with epoxy resin and add some glass matting.
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #20

Indiana
My motivation is to insult any sub company that has any marriage with Dutchmen. I am very discontented with the way that Dutchmen has built my unit and worst of all I dislike their way of doing business after the sale.

I believe that every time that something has occurred, such as; slide wouldn't go in all the way, another slide squeeking along the vinyl floor, or the air conditioner wouldn't blow cold air that Dutchmen knew the issues and actually know the fixes for them. I believe that they would let dealers and repair facilities work through trial and error. I also, believe that they knew the correct fixes to resolve the issues but did not want to own the problems.

My only recourse is to bring the brand of slide into the mix hoping that I can bring that CEO out of the wood work. Which, I know will not happen any more then Dutchmen's CEO coming out. I will do my best to tarnish the Schwintek name brand at any turn. This is, in part due to their marriage with Dutchmen.

My brother-in-law has a Redwood unit and has a Schwintek slide. He has no issues with his slide. I have read the Redwood forums. Very little talk of issues with that slide. Obviously, Redwood has placed a quality wood in the brackets of the Schwintec slide system. They also seem to have a handle on sealing against water leaks.

At this point, Schwintek is a very obnoxious and sickening name to me. If Schwintek wants to clean up their act, in my opinion, then they need to divorce Dutchmen.

P.S. Well said Sundancer 87 & Sawpilot

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL