Question about Voltage Voltage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #1

Question about Voltage Voltage

I always turn off my battery switch in my Voltage to keep the minor items draining my battery between outings. Yesterday I got into the unit and started the generator before realizing I had forgotten to turn on the battery switch located in the storage compartment. The generator turned over and started. At first I thought I had forgotten to turn off the switch yet when I checked it the switch was indeed off.
My question is does the switch only isolate the unit from drawing any current but by passes the generator so it will still operate.
I was under the impression the battery cutoff switch totally isolated the battery. Am I wrong here. Does the battery still charge with the cut off switch turned off??

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #2

California
The Generator is connected directly to your batteries for starting purposes. Obviously there was enough juice left between charging to start your genny.

VHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
jim

Idaho
Battery disconrct

With my 3600 voltage to test if its truly isolating the main power breakers, turn off the disconect go to the converter with a volt meter, ours did not totaly disconnect, they had to install a new battery disconect. The generator is always conected directly to the batterys. If the converter is working properly and you still have power, going past it like ours was things go bab quickley, our converter went out twice second time it fryed 4 6volt batterys, dutchman wont replace them. So if converter is good and theres still power to the rest of the coach its got to be the disconect.
jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 04:36 AM   #4

Texas
My Voltage has two disconnect switches. One seems to be a normal battery disconnect and the other goes to a small black box. Should they both be turned off when on shore power? What about when not on shore power?
JamesTypeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 05:04 AM   #5

California
Not sure what the smaller one is but it was likely added by someone. The larger disconnect should always be on when using the trailer as even when on shore power there are many things that still need 12 volts such as your lights that require battery power. If you turn off the disconnect they will not work.

The smaller switch seems unusual and I am not sure. I would try to follow the cables and see where they lead. Also post some pics.
Old 09-16-2023, 12:31 AM   #6

Texas
2nd battery cutoff

It's brand new, unused 2022 Voltage 3911 Toy Hauler. With this switch on the inverter kicks on and off continuously and the display show voltage and then full the display corresponds with the clicking of the inverter box. The other one feeds into the body of the trailer. I can't find anything that isn't working while on shore power. I've uploaded a picture of the cutoff in question. It is a SeaFLO battery switch. The other is a run of the mill Walmart cutoff switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2ndBatteryCutOff.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	7629  
Old 09-17-2023, 07:12 PM   #7

California
Having thought about this some more I wonder if the smaller disconnect handles the the stuff that the main disconnect doesn’t address such as the landing gear and driving/tail lights. Try putting both of them to off and see if landing gear works. Then turn on the smaller one if landing gear didn’t work and see if it now does.

On my rig the landing gear bypasses the disconnect which makes sense as there is an auto off and should be almost no parasitic draw. And it could be bad news if landing gear wasn’t always functional.
Old 09-18-2023, 02:45 AM   #8

Texas
So I turned them both on and now my battery level is less than full. Before they were full. What the hell?
Old 09-18-2023, 02:59 PM   #9

California
You’re getting beyond my pay grade. There are other members who know more about batteries and electronics. Perhaps it is a switch to change from parallel to series as far as how the batteries are interconnected, assuming you have two. Maybe you have two 6 volt batteries that can be run in parallel or in series. If parallel the capacity doubles. In series the voltage doubles. But even if you have two 6 volt batteries I can’t think of any reason you would want to run them in parallel, as a matter of fact half voltage could cause major issues with your rig and things would not work.

Good luck.
Old 09-18-2023, 06:48 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
You’re getting beyond my pay grade. There are other members who know more about batteries and electronics. Perhaps it is a switch to change from parallel to series as far as how the batteries are interconnected, assuming you have two. Maybe you have two 6 volt batteries that can be run in parallel or in series. If parallel the capacity doubles. In series the voltage doubles. But even if you have two 6 volt batteries I can’t think of any reason you would want to run them in parallel, as a matter of fact half voltage could cause major issues with your rig and things would not work.

Good luck.
persistence will be along shortly! He's pretty well connected...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	170116_FT_Frankenstein-Needle.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	7630  
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 02:34 PM   #11

Texas
I checked the solar charging unit display and it was on GEL battery type instead of WET. I changed it to WET. Will have to see how that works. I think (mistake most likely) that the SeaLand switch is somehow related to the inverter and the solar panels on the roof. Will try the both off and see if the jack controller is still powered. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-25-2023, 01:41 AM   #12

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTypeR View Post
It's brand new, unused 2022 Voltage 3911 Toy Hauler. With this switch on the inverter kicks on and off continuously and the display show voltage and then full the display corresponds with the clicking of the inverter box. The other one feeds into the body of the trailer. I can't find anything that isn't working while on shore power. I've uploaded a picture of the cutoff in question. It is a SeaFLO battery switch. The other is a run of the mill Walmart cutoff switch.
I really don't know how Voltage wired their trailer. I agree it may be an add on. Dealers do add things.

Do you have and inverter?
Is it part of an inverter/charger?
I assume you have a converter charger.

An inverter usually requires a 12 volt disconnect in the 12 volt line to the inverter.

There may be a second disconnect for the house 12 volt appliances.

Turn lights ON. Turn disconnects on one at a time. The one that turns lights OFF is the house disconnect.

The other may turn the 12 volt to inverter OFF. Disconnect shore power and turn inverter ON. Plug a 120 volt appliance into any inverter outlet.

If the other disconnect shuts the appliance running on the inverter down that of course is the inverter 12 volt supply. It may also disconnect battery charging if you have a combined inverter converter charger.

Post make and model number of inverter and battery charger for better advice.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote