Maximum Wheel/Tire Pressure - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #1

Connecticut
Maximum Wheel/Tire Pressure

I am picking up my new to me 2017 Voltage 3305. The tires are junk. I am considering the Carlisle Redial Trail HD in F rating-It's a bit taller-235/85-16. Will the rims take the 95 lb pressure? Do I need to change stems? I am also considering their G rated tire which needs 110 lbs.

Mattf301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:30 AM   #2

California

Your rims are designed for 80 psi. Doesn’t mean you can’t go higher but with the poor quality materials that Dutchmen sources I personally would not go higher. You also need metal valve stems to exceed 80 psi too.

Goodyear makes a trailer tire called Endurance which is actually made in the USA unlike their Marathon which is made in China. They are not cheap but great tires and . If you get the correct one it will have a higher speed rating and adequate load capacity. Just make sure you get the correct one as they have another that will fit your rim but doesn’t have the same load capacity. I think you need the 85 and not the 80 aspect ratio. Incidentally your trailer comes with a spare that is an 85 so it will work fine plus you get the added benefit of a slightly higher ride height which you will appreciate as your back end will scrape easily.
Endurance® Trailer Tire Goodyear Tires.pdf

I tried to attach the specs from the Goodyear website.

I do not suggest going with new rims and stems it will be pricey even though it is certainly an option.

Also, tons of threads on tires here. I suggest you take a look. They are a critical item and with only two axles you have very limited options because the tires carry such a heavy load. You will not be able to go with truck tires as they will have insufficient load capacity unless you find one out there that I was not able to find.

I also suggest you do a thorough inspection of your suspension as the factory stuff is very suspect and many of us have had to replace leaf springs and shackles with better quality stuff. Make sure there is an arch in the leafs and they are not flat.

Good luck. Endurance® Trailer Tire Goodyear Tires.pdf

Old 01-09-2021, 10:31 AM   #3

Florida
I have the lions head leopard rims (voltage stock aluminum rim) I run 100 psi my choice with sailun g rated tires love them with quality steel valve stems you can run 110 psi you can find the info on e trailer Hope this helps
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:29 PM   #4

Connecticut
The gvw on the trailer is about 16000 lbs. The Goodyear’s are rated at 3640 lbs each. That’s a max of about 14500. It doesn’t seem to be enough unless I don’t understand about how this all works.
Mattf301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:45 PM   #5

California
Have you weighed the rig fully loaded, this will give you the weight that the tires and rims need to carry. I do have the endurance for my rig, it is lots smaller than yours. I personally would never have a china tire on anything.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:14 AM   #6

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattf301 View Post
The gvw on the trailer is about 16000 lbs. The Goodyear’s are rated at 3640 lbs each. That’s a max of about 14500. It doesn’t seem to be enough unless I don’t understand about how this all works.
You're forgetting the weight on the hitch - around 2000-2500 pounds. You won't know for sure until you take it to the scales.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:49 AM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
You're forgetting the weight on the hitch - around 2000-2500 pounds. You won't know for sure until you take it to the scales.

Tires carry the weight at the axles, that is why it is important to weigh that part of the trailer to see what the tire load is. The hitch load needs to be carried by the tow vehicle, so at the same time you weigh the hitch only. Once you have these fully loaded weights now you can deal with the two areas.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:56 AM   #8

California

The axles on the 3305 are rated at 7,000 lbs. roughly 2,000 lbs. ( or more if you exceed 16,000 lbs) will be on the pin as correctly pointed out by AZdryheat ( also called tongue weight). You will be right on the limit but within the trailer spec.

And if you really want to dig in here you may exceed the GVWR of your truck in some cases but that is an entirely different discussion. For instance, my Ram 2500 has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs but that is an artificial weight limit and the axle weight rating of my truck both front and rear exceed the 10,000 door sticker that Ram sets as the GVWR. They do this because in many states trucks with a GVWR in excess of 10,000 lbs pay higher registration fees and insurance can be higher too. Because my truck weighs about 8,200 lbs empty and easily another 500 to 1,000 lbs more when loaded with 4 adults and some gear I technically only have about 1,000 lbs of cargo capacity in my 2500 which is less than a small half ton truck would have because the half ton would weigh much less. Kind of funny as the real world cargo capacity of a half ton would be far less than my 3/4 ton which obviously makes no sense.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:05 PM   #9

Ohio
"Your rims are designed for 80 psi. Doesn’t mean you can’t go higher but with the poor quality materials that Dutchmen sources I personally would not go higher. You also need metal valve stems to exceed 80 psi too."

Standard "snap-in" rubber valves are only rated for 65 psi. Bolt-in metal valves are good for 200 psi. Also the rubber stems should be changed whenever you change tires as these stems can also "age-out" just as tires do.
Finally, since you will be using TPMS, you are aren't you? You should use the metal stems to avoid the failures of rubber stems we have seen on a number of RVs.

RE possible new wheels. You need something in writing on the the inflation rating of any wheel you decide to use. If you can't get such information. you might use that fact as an indication of "quality" of the wheels.
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:28 PM   #10

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattf301 View Post
I am picking up my new to me 2017 Voltage 3305. The tires are junk. I am considering the Carlisle Redial Trail HD in F rating-It's a bit taller-235/85-16. Will the rims take the 95 lb pressure? Do I need to change stems? I am also considering their G rated tire which needs 110 lbs.
F rating is not enough for a trailer tire
Yamaha YXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:07 PM   #11

Montana
I don’t know about the 2017 voltage, but, my 2019 3655 came stock with Westlake tires, they were to be inflated to 95 psi cold. I purchased Goodyear G614’s, they had an inflation ratin much higher than the west lakes (14 ply). My tire dealer said they were rated for more than 110 psi, I also called Dutchman and they to told that the rims were rated for more than 110 psi
erhardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:18 PM   #12

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha YXZ View Post

Load range F may not be enough for some applications but I don't know how to accept or support such a statement without supporting numbers. Clearly a lot more information is needed.
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:31 AM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha YXZ View Post

My Goodyear Endurance have an E rating and they are more than adequate so I am not sure how a quality F rating would not be enough for a trailer tire.

This is from a trailer website discussing load ratings,

“The difference between a load range E and load range F tire of the same size, 235/85-16, is the weight capacity and pressure. The Karrier Radial Tire, Load Range E, # AM10295, has a capacity of 3,640 pounds at 95 psi. The Load Range F Tire, # AM10501, has a capacity of 3,960 pounds at 95 psi.”

So again I am curious where you are getting your information from.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2021, 03:05 AM   #14

Ohio
My statement was about the simple statement from Yamaha YXZ that "LR F wasn't enough for a trailer tire".

Without size and type tire etc info as well as the actual load on the tires there is no way to make such a statement.

You might want to double check your numbers
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tir...a/AM10501.html
shows 3960 @ 110 psi
Old 01-14-2021, 10:41 AM   #15

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
RE possible new wheels. You need something in writing on the the inflation rating of any wheel you decide to use. If you can't get such information. you might use that fact as an indication of "quality" of the wheels.
The inflation rating of every wheel is supposed to be stamped into the wheel, usually located on the side of wheel that mounts against the hub (the inside of wheel).
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:11 PM   #16

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
The inflation rating of every wheel is supposed to be stamped into the wheel, usually located on the side of wheel that mounts against the hub (the inside of wheel).

I was not aware of that requirement. I do know that many wheels do not follow the requirement. What section of FMVSS is that?
Old 01-15-2021, 10:56 AM   #17

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I was not aware of that requirement. I do know that many wheels do not follow the requirement. What section of FMVSS is that?
Never said it was a requirement but it has been on all the trailer rims I have looked for it on.

And doesn't the FMVSS cover tires not wheels (rims)? That is a question, not an argument starter on my part.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:33 PM   #18

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Never said it was a requirement but it has been on all the trailer rims I have looked for it on.

And doesn't the FMVSS cover tires not wheels (rims)? That is a question, not an argument starter on my part.

No problem. If you are finding max load and max inflation information on wheels you are lucky as in my experience that is well under 50% of the wheel market has such marks.

Yes FMVSS does cover wheels CFR 49.571.110 & .120 There may be other sections too.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:46 AM   #19

Florida
Most aluminum rv rims are lions head See if you can find your model there not all rims have psi stamped on back but they do have weight rating that being said my rims have the higher Weight rating that will hold 110psi with steel valve stems and load range g tires You my be able to find info on etrailer on your rims research it. Regarding Goodyear rv tires my choice was based on the lawsuits goodyear played with hiding info on their rv tire. Back to original question a little research you will find your rim pressure rating
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:28 PM   #20

Montana
The Goodyear G614 are not necessarily RV tires, they are rated for RV use.

erhardd is offline   Reply With Quote