Maiden Voyage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #1

Washington
Maiden Voyage

Finally got our 99 Dutchmen Classic 30RL set up in a nice RV park. Cedars RV in Ferndale, WA. The only real issue I had was getting the Atwood water heater going. The sales person at the dealership didn't say anything about water bypass valves, but a call to their service department helped me get those valves turned the right way --- all three horizontal.
Then the pilot wouldn't light so I called a mobile service guy who was very helpful and suggested air in the gas lines since the trailer had been unused for a quite a while. He also said turn the blue gas control knob counterclockwise to pilot and then another 1/8 inch or so against spring tension and hold it there while the electronic spark keeps firing. Eventually the pilot got actual propane and lit.
Also discovered that there is an electric heater with a switch under the oven on the water heater tank if I ever want to heat water with electricity instead. Actually the service guy said you could heat with both at the same time.

The trailer and the site have 30-amp service, so..... running a space heater and the coffee pot trips the interior breaker. Not a big deal and the propane furnace works fine. I can put on a sweatshirt, but got to have my java.

The trailer is really very level, -- checked the bottom shelf of the freezer section. I did notice a mud dauber wasp nest in the refrigerator propane burner section --- cleaned that out but don't plan to run it on LPG anytime soon since we have full hookups here.

At first the water taps produced that red RV antifreeze stuff but that cleared up. Probably should have run more water through before the first pot of coffee though. On the 2nd day it was much better.

Burnhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:48 PM   #2

Washington
Oh yea, coffee without the red stuff is much better! Enjoy the voyage. Learning about the coach is half the fun.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:44 AM   #3

Oklahoma
You will want to purchase mud dauber screens for all of the openings because those critters will get inside the openings of the furnace, water heater and refrigerator and build their mud nests in the worst places.

Once they pack the mud inside the appliances it's too late. The refrigerator and water heater components are pretty easy to access however the furnace is a different story. Cleaning mud out of orifices and burner tubes will waste a day for sure.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:45 AM   #4

Wyoming
Do a circuit check of your electrical outlets. I have two outlets in my kitchen area and they are on two different circuits. If I plug in my space heater I can still use my kettle. Your coffee maker probably uses 1500 watts so your pushing close to the 30 amps between the two. If your furnace kicks in or something else is on you'll trip the main breaker.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote