leaking roof vent on Komfort 29 5th wheel - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2016, 07:24 PM   #1

Oregon
leaking roof vent on Komfort 29 5th wheel

Hi. My front roof vent (w. fan) has been leaking a long time, as has most of the roof. I found lots of dry rot, and am rebuilding the interior. I wanted to take out the roof vent entirely, since it's not clear how to keep it from leaking. But it's a monster job to remove it without a Sawzall. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Also, any thoughts on cutting off the screws that held the side framework? Thanks.

petegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #2

Arizona
I live in Tucson and this weekend on a outting I realized the sun has eaten my plastic domes,, now me being 300+,, dont know if I can get up there, ( without falling thorugh ), and I am thinking of using those fantastic ultra breeze to cover the vents so the sun doesnt kill them, that being said on a cabover I had, I went up through the vent with my drill and drilled out the welds and put rivets in the new top,,, good luck,

rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:06 PM   #3

Oregon
I appreciate the thought, Rich. After tearing out all the bad wood, it was clear the vent was NOT leaking. It's pretty fragile like yours, but I think I can just paint it.
Your way sound like lots of work.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:43 PM   #4

British Columbia
It isn't too difficult to get the old vents off, if you have a heat gun or even a hairdryer you can soften up the sealant and it scraps off fairly easy. Just don't point it straight down, let the hot air blow across the sealant. I use a scraper that I rounded off the corners of, so I didn't rip the roofing material.

Once you have the sealant scraped away so you can get to the screws, remove them. Now you take the scraper and work it under the vent. When you have gone around the vent, start lifting it out, you may find some spots that need a little more coaxing to get

I never actualy timed how long it took, but I know it wasn't more than an hour because I wasn't late for lunch. Hate being late for lunch!

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:45 PM   #5

Oregon
I appreciate the advice. Still, it's not leaking, I know now, nor is is too deteriorated, so I'm going to leave it as it is, maybe paint it.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:52 PM   #6

Arizona
I found supposed replacements for mine at Camping world but went with Amazon same stuff but I am a prime member, about 17 bucks ,, only hope wife has the smarts to replace it up there, dont know if room is built to hold a 300 pound guy,,, I like to do all my own stuff and thought about putting tape and paint on them but when I shot it with my temp gun and it said 150, I knew they would survive much longer here in Tucson where it is over 100 for too many days,,, Good luck..
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:43 PM   #7

Oregon
Thanks to Decker for his tips. I found the 'sealant' was totally deteriorated, and when I tore it off, the screws were easy to take out. Ripped out the vent but left the housing. Appreciate the advice.