Landing Gear blowing fuses - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2020, 08:25 PM   #1

Utah
Landing Gear blowing fuses

I have a 2012 Voltage V3900. When I raise the front of the trailer I will go thru several fuses ( as many as 8, 30 Amp), even on level ground.

I have done the following:
1) Replace the motor.
2) Replaced the switch.
3) Wired it directly to the batteries (removed the fuse lead off the master control panel, and directly connected it to the batteries).

Still blowing fuses. Only thing left is the gear box or legs themselves.
Suggestions?

Also, I noticed there are no grease fittings on the legs. Is there any maintenance that should be done to these items?

Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:31 PM   #2

Florida
Brian, there is another thread here somewhere that deals with this issue.

Maybe this will help!

https://www.dutchmenowners.org/forum...html#post74464

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:44 PM   #3

Utah
Thanks for the reference.
But it does not apply, because 1) I have the power for the landing gear wired directly to the battery with a inline fuse (30 amp). Which totally bypasses the breaker panel. 2) My 50amp circuit break has never tripped.

The problem has to be in the legs, gear box , or motor (possibly too wimpy) sold to me by the RV shop. They just grabbed the Heavy Duty motor, but what is their version of heavy duty?

Is there a way to eliminate the legs, or gear box?
Old 07-31-2020, 03:45 AM   #4

California
@Brian, do you have aftermarket electric landing gear? I think all the breaker reset problems others are referring to are the hydraulic jacks that can be optioned on the Voltages. They have auto reset fuses and I believe you have the type that need to be replaced.

I know nothing about your setup so I am just guessing but I assume it worked fine for a long time but if this just started something is broken or messed up (obviously). You mentioned you direct wired but it almost sounds like you might have a bad ground.

I am just trying to help here but are you sure you have a clean/good circuit the entire way? Also, the replacement motor you installed should have specs that you should be able to compare to the original. I wonder how the RV shop chose that motor they installed? But if the old motor did the same thing something tells me it is not the motor.

Is there a way for you to check the gear box?

My guess is gear box or wiring.

Sorry I can’t offer more help.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:00 AM   #5

Utah
Correct, my landing gear is all electric, not hydraulic.

Electrical grounding.....Possible I will check that.

Gear Box, according to a local shop, not likely, they suggested the gears in the top of the legs could be shot. Evidently they replace them regularly.

So I have two things to check now, electrical grounds and the gears in the top of the legs.

Thanks for the suggestions, will keep y'all updated.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:17 PM   #6

Nevada
I can't wait to se what you find out. I had the same issue with my 2017 Voltage. I tried new motor, direct wired, lubricating the gear all to no avail. I ended up replacing the gear with the UltraFab Deluxe landing gear and have had no issue.
I had previously had the gear set go bad and it was replaced by the dealer...just a poor setup if you ask me.
resqur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:40 PM   #7

Illinois
Our previous Voltage had what I think are the same landing gear as you. Have you greased the 2 legs? Ours had a grease fitting on both leggs, but they were hard to find as they were painted over with black paint and blended into the leggs. There might be too much friction in the leggs causing the moto to work overtime thus blowing the fuze.
lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:52 AM   #8

Alabama
Are the landing gear driven by one motor with a cross connecting square rod? I had my motor lock up because the connecting rod was two piece and the connecting bolt had backed out and jammed the motor.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:06 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Front Landing gear

Had this same problem. Here is a link to lubricating the legs. There are other videos of people doing the same thing if you do a search on the internet for them.
KECoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:03 PM   #10

California
Was the worrying changed? Is so s the new wire the right size?

If the wire was changed it could be to small. Can you get an amp meter? I’m an electrician that’s why I asked. If you get a meter you will need the specs on the motor to know if it’s with in specs. You could put trailer on your truck and disconnect the drive bar between the two and see if either leg is binding up. I didn’t know there was a grease fitting can somebody tell me where it’s located?

larrypride is offline   Reply With Quote