King pin jack for repositioning landing leg blocks - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #1

Washington
King pin jack for repositioning landing leg blocks

I'm trying to find a way to support the king pin ( truck disconnected ) so I can adjust the landing legs or the blocks under them without hooking up the truck again. If something like this tri-pod jack will support the king pin, then the legs could be retracted slightly for such work.
I think the dry hitch weight on my 99 30RL is about 1,300 pounds and the jack has a capacity of 5,000.

Ultra-Fab 5th Wheel King Pin Tripod Stabilizer - Steel - 42" to 50" - 5,000 lbs Ultra-Fab Products Trailer Jack UF19-950001

Burnhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #2

California
That appears to be a good unit. I might go ahead and purchase one myself.

'69 Chevy C10 396BB
Alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #3

Washington
Even if it won't lift the front of the trailer, as long as it supports the weight it seems like you should be able to retract the landing legs a couple of inches to adjust things ( like if the support block under the landing leg pad cracks and needs to be replaced ) And it would also work as a stabilizer. Would have to measure the normal height of your king pin Jack heights available 42" - 50"
Old 04-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #4

Arizona
Not exactly sure what your trying to do. It sounds like you got dropped off to high in front or one side or the other. Use that stand and perhaps a bottle jack with a 4X4 along the leading edge of the frame if there is substantial framing there. Just make sure you have everything extend far enough to remove the items when the legs are lowered.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:08 AM   #5

Oklahoma
Putting it back on the truck would be a safer option for me. I already have the truck so I don't need to buy or haul a 'just in case' thing.

In a year of moving from location to location I have yet to be in a situation where I had to reconnect to adjust legs or add blocks.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #6

New Jersey
I have one of those that I use to stabilize the trailer. It's aluminum, which makes it light and easy to carry. There is no way it is going to hold the weight of the trailer. It would bend and/or snap the bolts and tabs on the legs.

It does a good job of helping minimize motion in the trailer. If you want to support the kingpin, I highly recommend you hitch up the truck.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #7

Washington
The deal is, I don't have a truck. This fifth wheel is temporary housing while our house is built. The jack I mentioned has a weight-bearing capacity of 5,000 pounds which led me to believe it could support the king pin ( estimated dry hitch weight is about 1,300 pounds )

Even if it can't "lift" the king pin, if it can support it temporarily that would be good enough. Or I just can just hand somebody else in the RV park $50 to bring their truck over for 15 minutes while I adjust things.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #8

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnhaven View Post
The deal is, I don't have a truck. This fifth wheel is temporary housing while our house is built. The jack I mentioned has a weight-bearing capacity of 5,000 pounds which led me to believe it could support the king pin ( estimated dry hitch weight is about 1,300 pounds )

Even if it can't "lift" the king pin, if it can support it temporarily that would be good enough. Or I just can just hand somebody else in the RV park $50 to bring their truck over for 15 minutes while I adjust things.
So your just trying to lower the legs a notch or two right. Can't you take a short piece of 4X4 and lay it diagonally from the front of the frame to the side of the frame making a triangle with one jack at the point of that triangle. I'm assuming their is solid frame under your trailer. Center a bottle jack on the 4X4 and if it lifts the corner and feels safe, you should be able to do what you want to do. Get a 12 or even 20 ton bottle jack. They are pretty cheap and you will use it again for something. Like I mentioned above, just make sure you have the jack extended enough when starting so it will retract and not be stuck when you come down to where you need to be. I don't see a problem doing it this way.

Or use someones truck.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #9

Texas
I had that exact same tripod with my old 12,500 lb TH. I did use it once to support the king pin while I raised the front landing gear to level the coach side to side. I gave the tripod to the guy who bought my old TH, I never used it as I couldn't really tell it made any difference stabilizing the trailer.

The one in the picture looks like it's aluminum and those cost almost twice as much as the steel version. Look on eTrailer for the steel version, it will be painted black and priced around 1/2 that cost.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #10

New Jersey
I looked the specs up for mine, the aluminum model is rated at 1,200 lbs. No way I would trust it to hold that much weight, it's got thin aluminum bars with cheap bolts to keep the legs from spreading. I know the steel one is rated at 5,000 lbs. No way I would trust either to hold while raising the landing gear. Especially would not go under the trailer, or put my hands near anything that could drop.

Call me cautious, but I'd get someone with a truck to do it. Most campers are more than willing to help out a fellow camper. A beer or a $10 spot should be thanks enough. The campground where we stay moves units in and out of storage all the time. I'm sure if the campground you are at has that capability, they would do it for a lot less than $50.