Increasing gray water capacity - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #1

Illinois
Increasing gray water capacity

I bought a used 2008 Dutchmen Northshore 326QB last fall. It has 1 1/2 baths with 2 42 gallon black tanks, one 42 gallon gray tank, and one 46 gallon fresh water tank. With 3 small children, when camp at state parks with only electric we fill our gray tank fairly quickly. Is there away to add a tank to increase capacity? The 2009 model of this camper had 2 grays and one black. Any ideas.

Pullrite Super Glide Hitch
jd4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:40 AM   #2

Wyoming
Seems like they got the tanks mixed up. Gray tanks always fill fast.

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #3

Saskatchewan
I carry a 22 gallon pull-behind blue tote and dump at will...

Dave.
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #4

Quebec
You say that the 2009 model of your trailer had 2 gray tanks and one black. Are you sure about this? From what I have seen, black tanks are usually located directly below the toilets (presumably to ensure the 'contents' of the flush make it all the way to the tank given the small amount of water used). It is difficult to see how 2 toilets could share a black tank given this.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #5

Saskatchewan
Quite a few years ago we were parked beside a couple and the husband was a repairman in the RV industry. He was showing me some of the mods he had done to his trailer. One of these was a pump he had hooked up to move grey water to his black water tank. They only used the toilets in the trailer during the night (using the camp washrooms during the day). He watched his levels carefully during the week and just before dumping his tanks he would completely fill his black tank giving him lots of water to empty his black water tanks. I've had several trailers since seeing this but have never added a pump to my trailers. I have on occasion drained off some of my grey water into a pail and dumped it down the toilet for the same effect (a poor man's modification).

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:28 AM   #6

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmiles View Post
You say that the 2009 model of your trailer had 2 gray tanks and one black. Are you sure about this? From what I have seen, black tanks are usually located directly below the toilets (presumably to ensure the 'contents' of the flush make it all the way to the tank given the small amount of water used). It is difficult to see how 2 toilets could share a black tank given this.
I basing this statement on the Northshore brochure for the 2009 model year. The 2008 model year brochure lists two 42 gallon black tanks, one 42 gallon grey tank, and the 46 gallon fresh tank. The 2009 model year brochure lists the 326QB (our model) as having one 42 gallon black tank, two 42 gallon greys, the one 46 gallon fresh. I guess the brochure could be wrong.

The previous owners did not tell me which valve was which for draining, and the owner's manual didn't say either. So I contacted Dutchmen and they email me the plumbing schematic. I might see if they can email me the plumbing schematic for the 2009 model year. That way I could see the plumbing difference.

I was just curious if anyone has ever put larger tanks in a camper. Thanks for the information everyone and keep it coming.
Pullrite Super Glide Hitch
jd4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #7

California
It is legal to dump grey water in national forest campgrounds. You are supposed to spread it around rather than concentrate in a pit. I replaced my dump cover with one that has a hose attachment on it and use an old hose to spread it around in the brush. This way, I can bleed the tank easily and don't have to be constantly harping on ppl to be so careful with the water usage.
Timbodeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbodeuce View Post
It is legal to dump grey water in national forest campgrounds. You are supposed to spread it around rather than concentrate in a pit. I replaced my dump cover with one that has a hose attachment on it and use an old hose to spread it around in the brush. This way, I can bleed the tank easily and don't have to be constantly harping on ppl to be so careful with the water usage.
I would check your claim that it is "legal" to dump gray water on the ground anywhere in the U.S. I think that will get you a big ticket if you get caught.
Gray water is still concidered sewage the last time I checked.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytoogood View Post
I would check your claim that it is "legal" to dump gray water on the ground anywhere in the U.S. I think that will get you a big ticket if you get caught.
Gray water is still concidered sewage the last time I checked.
Feel free to " check" my claim, waytoogood. It is posted on the board at the entrance to the campgrounds. I confirmed it with a usfs ranger before doing it. It is NOT sewage, that is why it goes into a separate tank. If it was the same it would all go into a single large " black water" tank.

Timbodeuce is offline   Reply With Quote