Hot water heater, electric. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2021, 05:22 PM   #1

New Mexico
Hot water heater, electric.

I've been using the electric switch to heat my hot water. All of a sudden it quit working. I checked fuses, breakers, etc. The propane heats the water just fine. What could be wrong and where is the access? Help please. 2013 3860MS Infinity 5th wheel

cw4bill@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:16 PM   #2

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw4bill@msn.com View Post
I've been using the electric switch to heat my hot water. All of a sudden it quit working. I checked fuses, breakers, etc. The propane heats the water just fine. What could be wrong and where is the access? Help please. 2013 3860MS Infinity 5th wheel
We're probably gonna need a bit more information before anyone can help.

First question... do you not have the owner's manual for it? If so, there's probably a troubleshooting section in it.

If not, the next thing is to figure out what make & model number unit you have. Is is an Atwood heater... Surburban... or something else? Then to narrow it down more, find the model number.

Now this next part of your statement troubles me: you ask, "...and where is the access?" I'm not trying to embarrass you in any way, because we were all new to this stuff once. But are you saying you don't even know where the water heater panel on the exterior of you rig is? If that's the case, you should probably just stop right here and either take it to a repair shop, or look for a mobile RV tech who can come to you.

But if you insist on trying to do this yourself... the access panel is usually a square panel on the same side of your RV as the kitchen. On my RV, it's the panel circled in red below

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0238 copy.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	6677

It looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WH2.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	6678 Click image for larger version

Name:	WH1.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	6679

From here, you should be able to get the make & model printed on it somewhere. Then someone can probably begin trying to help you out. Could be something simple as a loose or damaged wire, or it could be part of the circuit board needs replacing.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:03 PM   #3

New Mexico
Yes, i know where the hot water heater is. As for the manual it goes into detail about the propane but doesn't mention the electric part of the heater.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:33 AM   #4

North Carolina
Check the water heater, most have another switch on the unit behind the access Panel. If not check to see if you have power at the electric heating element. The elements can burn out just like residential hot water heaters. Keep us posted.
1997 keystone Cougar gone but not forgotten
Snafu82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:15 PM   #5

Montana
The electric side of my water heater has its own breaker in the AC panel. Have you checked that breaker?
Old 02-24-2021, 03:37 PM   #6

New Mexico
Yes, i have. Thanks
Old 02-26-2021, 05:38 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Defective switch
Loose wire
Corroded connection
Solenoid failure
Failed heating element

Please let us know what you find.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:02 PM   #8

Alberta

Here is an easy to understand troubleshooting video.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:03 PM   #9

Colorado
T-stat replacement for the hot water heater.

Our 2012 Voltage 3200 did the exact same thing. Ours was a T-stat issue where it had just burned out. There will be 2 of these side by side and they are under a black panel on the face of the hot water heater.
https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-2323.../dp/B003G9I4DW

We had to remove the propane line to access ours.
If you replace it, make sure the RV is unplugged and the main electrical switch cut off is off.
Good luck
Squiggycc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:00 PM   #10

Arizona
Subject water heater. My Kodiak 200 QB has the Atwood water heater. Aluminum tank and works fine. But I like to be prepared so, I see the electrical element ( watching videos) is on the inside of the trailer. I pulled out a drawer where the tank is but there is also a finished panel (wood) that is permanent with no way to get to the tank. Unless of course I cut a hole in this panel. What a pain that will be. Any suggestions ? Trailer is a 2015, aluminum tank no issues as of now.
steve weston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:03 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
Cool Suburban Water heater switch

Just replaced the switch for the electric element on my Suburban Water heater. Had power everywhere up to the electric element. The switch on the control panel inside the camper was lit and had power to it.

There is another on/off switch behind the gas port at the lower left of the water heater itself. Mine was black. After turning off the electric, I popped that switch out with a screwdriver and ohmed it. It was bad and would not even move from the on to the off position. Pulled the lugs and took the switch to the local RV store and they sold me one.

If this turns out to be your problem, make sure the replacement switch is for 120v and not 12v.

As if often the case, replacement of the switch itself was easier than the troubleshooting.
KECoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:19 AM   #12

New Mexico
Thank you
Old 02-28-2021, 02:03 PM   #13

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by KECoats View Post
Just replaced the switch for the electric element on my Suburban Water heater. Had power everywhere up to the electric element. The switch on the control panel inside the camper was lit and had power to it.

There is another on/off switch behind the gas port at the lower left of the water heater itself. Mine was black. After turning off the electric, I popped that switch out with a screwdriver and ohmed it. It was bad and would not even move from the on to the off position. Pulled the lugs and took the switch to the local RV store and they sold me one.

If this turns out to be your problem, make sure the replacement switch is for 120v and not 12v.

As if often the case, replacement of the switch itself was easier than the troubleshooting.
I believe that is also the issue here. I checked that switch and it will not move. I'll replace it and report back. Thanks
Old 12-22-2022, 04:55 PM   #14

Washington
Question on electric water hesrer

Hello! I’m in a 2014 Dutchman Voltage 3905 and I woke up this morning to no hot water. I have full blast cold water, but when I turn the faucet to hot, it starts to only trickle and it isn’t hot water. Any help is greatly appreciated! The pressure relief valve is hot to the touch.
New.to.RV.living is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 05:31 PM   #15

Montana
Outside shower valves off?
Old 12-22-2022, 05:42 PM   #16

Washington
Yes! I called several rv places and they said it’s possible my hot water line from the heater to the rv froze. I think that’s a bit odd because I don’t believe the line is exterior- but I don’t know for sure. I have it tricking but it hasn’t changed in pressure or temp in 30 minutes.
New.to.RV.living is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 06:09 PM   #17

Wisconsin
It could be damage from freezing or it could be just a failed check valve. Ice could have damaged a check valve.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 07:18 PM   #18

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by New.to.RV.living View Post
Yes! I called several rv places and they said it’s possible my hot water line from the heater to the rv froze. I think that’s a bit odd because I don’t believe the line is exterior- but I don’t know for sure. I have it tricking but it hasn’t changed in pressure or temp in 30 minutes.
If you wanna try tracing it, the hot water line probably runs from the heater... under the floor of the kitchen cabinets, and then behind the wall of your basement where it branches into separate lines to the shower & sinks.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:23 PM   #19

Idaho
A little late now but it could be cold water supply to the heater, my son lost hot water for a couple days. Also check your low point drains, they may very well be exposed and uninsulated.

Pastot is offline   Reply With Quote