High End Dutchman 5th Wheel. - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #21

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
This past Winter, when we were in Florida, we had stopped into Camping World in Bastow. There were three units in their body shop. All three units were the brown front and rear and were taped off and the brown was sanded down. Apparently, they were getting ready to repaint them.

I believe that all three were under warranty. I don't know that for sure. I've also, read that the brown gel coats of Dutchmen and grays of other brands have been fading rather quickly. So..........if your still under warranty then I would get in touch with your dealer and let them know what's going on. They may be repainting your end caps.
Gel coats require a regular cleaning and waxing to maintain a hi gloss. UV and air pollutants are the number 1 enemies of gel coats.

There is a good gel coat care proceedure here, http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/p...oat%20Care.pdf
They are discussing boats in this artical, but the care and maintenance of RV gel coat is the same.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #22

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Gel coats require a regular cleaning and waxing to maintain a hi gloss. UV and air pollutants are the number 1 enemies of gel coats.

There is a good gel coat care proceedure here, http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/p...oat%20Care.pdf
They are discussing boats in this artical, but the care and maintenance of RV gel coat is the same.
Thanks for the info but we have a boat and are familiar with the maintenance of gel coat.Our 2012 Infinity has been waxed twice and has had numerous washes using rv wash and wax. Despite this the front is beginning to show oxidation and the trailer is less than two years old ! Our boat is over 15 years old and still looks good so I suspect the gelcoat used by Dutchman is poor. Is anyone else noticing this fading?

Janeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #23

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeric View Post
Thanks for the info but we have a boat and are familiar with the maintenance of gel coat.Our 2012 Infinity has been waxed twice and has had numerous washes using rv wash and wax. Despite this the front is beginning to show oxidation and the trailer is less than two years old ! Our boat is over 15 years old and still looks good so I suspect the gelcoat used by Dutchman is poor. Is anyone else noticing this fading?
It must have to do with the color of the end caps. Mine are white and they hold and nice shine between waxing.

I had a green fiberglass canoe about 20 years back, I remember the side that wasmin the sun lost it's luster faily quickly if I didn,t stay on top of it.

I use the RV wash and wax too, but I don't have to much faith that the wax part is doing it's job. Nothing beats a carnuba wax shine.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #24

Ontario
High End

Thanks. Have used carnuba wax twice. Took trailer to dealer for other maintenance (brakes, tires, etc). They are going to raise issue with Dutchmen but dont offer much hope. They indicate they are having trouble with all the trailers with brown caps (different makes/models) and recommend paint protection to new buyers. If Dutchmen are not forthcoming may look into see if this is still an option. Otherwise the trailer will look like it is 15 years old when it is 3!
Janeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #25
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
I too had one issue that was not getting corrected. It was a small leak around the antenna. Of course it would go for a couple of months and not happen then there it was again. I went to a local dealer whihc I didn't know was a Dutchment dealer and it was fixed first time. He told me who evr caulked it did a terrible job. However the interesting thing is he never contacted the MFG to get pre-approval.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:47 AM   #26

California
Is anyone else noticing this fading? YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeric View Post
I am new to this forum and I'm sorry that my first post will begin on a negative note. I joined the forum because my husband and I received some unsettling news today about a needed fix on our 2013 Denali 5er and we were advised to seek a Denali forum to see if others were talking about the same issue.
We purchased our Denali 16 months ago and after our first week of traveling we had to have 23 different items replaced or repaired. Until this moment I have never mentioned that fact other than to Camping World, where we bought the Denali, and to Dutchmen. I understand that sometimes things just need attention, much like in buying a new home, but this latest issue is so frustrating that I felt I needed to be more public about what was happening.
About two weeks ago my husband noticed that the brown front cap on our Denali had two very distinct areas where it was fading. We had purchased a 5 year Platinum Protection policy that guarantees if any issues arise with exterior surface on our Denali it will be repaired. So today we took it to a very reputable dealership in Sacramento to have them look at our problem and give us an estimate for repair. The manager took one look at it and told us that we were the 25th customer, just in their repair shop, that had to have this cap completely "repainted". He explained that it isn't a gel coat problem but it is the paint that Dutchmen was using and they know about the problem. This dealership sells Denali's so they aren't out to trash the competition, and they have been in business 39 years. We trust them and their word. They also had to have one of their own, brand new Denali's, that was on their lot for sale repainted. They are gong to contact Dutchmen for us to try and have this rectified. We are so unsettled by this;we purchased our Denali with the hopes of having a nice looking fifth-wheel that would give us several years of enjoyment. It's already starting to look worn out and it's only 16 months old. As an aside...we noticed that on the 2014 Denali's the front cap is once again white.
sknshook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #27

Quebec
I have the exact same problem on the upper areas of the front and rear caps (dark brown) on my 2012 Infinity 3640RL purchased new in April 2012. Have used various compounds to try to improve the look but with only limited and very temporary success. I have heard mention of this problem previously in this forum and it would be great if we could influence a decision on Dutchmen's part to accept responsibility and offer assistance in getting these units repainted. If Jackie (the Dutchmen rep who follows this forum) could comment on this it would be greatly appreciated.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #28

California
We are trying to remain positive as the dealership awaits response from Dutchmen. Obviously, after 25 repaints in less than a year, Dutchmen has had other conversations about this issue and that's just with one dealership in one city.
Interested in hearing from other forum members if they, too, have had this problem.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #29

Indiana
I don't have a Denali. I have seen three campers with the painted front cap being prepared for paint when I was at Camping World in Florida last Spring.

I know its frustrating. If the dealership is getting in touch and waiting for approval from Dutchmen then your moving in a forward motion.

I'm with ya, its a pain in the butt regardless.

Good luck!

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:04 AM   #30

California
Thank you. Fingers crossed!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #31

California
Dutchmen came through!!

We just got the good news that Dutchmen has authorized the complete repaint of the front cap of our Denali.The dealer we are working with said that Dutchmen is very aware of defect in the brown paint. They have ordered new decals and as soon as they arrive the repaint will be started.We are so pleased and credit Dutchmen for stepping up and assuming responsibility for this problem. Hope this gives all of you who have had similar issues some help!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #32
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
Thanks for sharing that is great news. Always nice to hear positive things. Just curious to who actually does the painting?
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #33

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonervn View Post
Thanks for sharing that is great news. Always nice to hear positive things. Just curious to who actually does the painting?
We took it to Happy Daze RV in Sacramento. They sell RVs but also do body work. They are the ones that alerted us to the paint defect.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #34

Washington
Just brought my trailer home from the park for the winter and had trouble getting the front slides to retract all the way. Took it into CW to have it looked at and the good news is its still under warrenty. The fascia on both slides was sealed so poorly that water ran down the inside and swelled the floor. The floor is now causing joints to crack and make matters worse. CW says they see this in the Dutchmen brand frequently and have others in the shop now for the same issue. They optimistically think in a month or so they should be able to get the parts and they'll replace the slide floors and seal it up properly. While they were investigating the slide problem they discovered the roof was full of large areas where the rubber roof was coming unglued so the roof will have to be resealed also. I'm to the point now that it's hard to even care anymore. So many problems on a new rig over the year. What was the point of buying a "high end rig" if every time you use it, it has to go back in the shop. Dutchman should be ashamed of the products they sell. If anyone is considering a Dutchmen, run don't walk, away from them.
sawpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #35

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
Just brought my trailer home from the park for the winter and had trouble getting the front slides to retract all the way. Took it into CW to have it looked at and the good news is its still under warrenty. The fascia on both slides was sealed so poorly that water ran down the inside and swelled the floor. The floor is now causing joints to crack and make matters worse. CW says they see this in the Dutchmen brand frequently and have others in the shop now for the same issue. They optimistically think in a month or so they should be able to get the parts and they'll replace the slide floors and seal it up properly. While they were investigating the slide problem they discovered the roof was full of large areas where the rubber roof was coming unglued so the roof will have to be resealed also. I'm to the point now that it's hard to even care anymore. So many problems on a new rig over the year. What was the point of buying a "high end rig" if every time you use it, it has to go back in the shop. Dutchman should be ashamed of the products they sell. If anyone is considering a Dutchmen, run don't walk, away from them.
What model and what year is it? You have nothing listed in your avatar.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 10-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #36

Washington
My signature block doesn't seem to want to work. I'll have to try again. Anyway, it's a 2013 Infinity 3750FL. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:46 AM   #37

Washington
Disappointed

Sorry to hear about your problems. Sadly, I too have been greatly disappointed with my Infinity. We have just finished our 2nd season of use and I just dropped the rig off at the dealer for no less than 15 issues that need to be repaired/replaced. Granted some issues are minor but I am still having major problems with my bedroom slide that has never functioned correctly since the day we took delivery. Its been worked on three times so far (once at the Clackamas OR Kustom factory) and its out of alignment again and binding my bedroom door frame.

Fortunately Dutchman did step up and extended my factory warranty out to 2 years. But at this point, I am considering checking out "lemon law" rights in here Washington with the AG's office. We love the floor plan but I've lost confidence in the rig because something seems to go wrong during every trip.

Sounds like a familiar story with many Infinity owners.

Mark
Dogrunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #38

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogrunr View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems. Sadly, I too have been greatly disappointed with my Infinity. We have just finished our 2nd season of use and I just dropped the rig off at the dealer for no less than 15 issues that need to be repaired/replaced. Granted some issues are minor but I am still having major problems with my bedroom slide that has never functioned correctly since the day we took delivery. Its been worked on three times so far (once at the Clackamas OR Kustom factory) and its out of alignment again and binding my bedroom door frame.

Fortunately Dutchman did step up and extended my factory warranty out to 2 years. But at this point, I am considering checking out "lemon law" rights in here Washington with the AG's office. We love the floor plan but I've lost confidence in the rig because something seems to go wrong during every trip.

Sounds like a familiar story with many Infinity owners.

Mark
X2 - Everytime we go out its about the bedroom slide. Friend of mine calls it a fair-weather-slide.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 10-10-2013, 04:39 AM   #39

New Mexico
As much as we like the 'high end' Dutchmen 3750 its let us down with problems. Its going into CW for the big three-- landing gear, AC and bedroom slide. All I can hope for is that it gets repaired and makes the trailer reliable and built the way it should have been. If there was a way to sue over shoddy quality I would in a second.
72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #40

Oklahoma
Who came up with this 'high end' Dutchman classification?

High end repairs maybe but certainly not high end in craftsmanship.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote