Gray tank - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2019, 06:04 PM   #1

Illinois
Gray tank

I have flushed the black tank twice and now the sensors show completely empty as they should ,, the gray tanks have always shown empty as they should also. But this morning after emptying both grays they show 1/4 full,, another words 1 light is on for each of them,, is there anything I can put in them to let's say clean up the gray tanks.

Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #2

California
Happy Camper, it is powder. It always help to drive some with the tanks 3/4 full. You can use a wand on the black tank if the toilet is pretty much over the tank.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #3

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
Happy Camper, it is powder. It always help to drive some with the tanks 3/4 full. You can use a wand on the black tank if the toilet is pretty much over the tank.
The black tank isnt the problem,, and the gray gas never been a problem before,,
Old 02-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #4

Florida
I use fabric softener in my tanks and it seems to help with the "sticking". use it in the black and the gray. I also use a chemical in the black tank for help with the solids.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:51 PM   #5

Illinois
I use a chemical in the black tank but nothing in gray,, thanks for your reply
Old 02-02-2019, 10:24 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Holding tank sensors

Holding tank sensors installed in most TT's are simple devices and are easily fooled. Most are simply electric contacts exposed to the tank contents. Water contacts the sensor and grounds the circuit causing the light to light. Each fill level is a different circuit and a sensor at a different height in the tank.
They often do not register correctly. The light stays on because something is conducting enough to light the light.
Cleaning the tank is the only remedy I know of. It could be a potato peel stuck to the side of the tank. It could be a growth building up on the inside of the tank.
There are many imaginative ways to clean the tank. Just google or search Utube. In the mean time don't sweat the small stuff. It may fix itself.
I used the GEO method when my gray tank sensor did the same thing. It worked.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #7

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
Holding tank sensors installed in most TT's are simple devices and are easily fooled. Most are simply electric contacts exposed to the tank contents. Water contacts the sensor and grounds the circuit causing the light to light. Each fill level is a different circuit and a sensor at a different height in the tank.
They often do not register correctly. The light stays on because something is conducting enough to light the light.
Cleaning the tank is the only remedy I know of. It could be a potato peel stuck to the side of the tank. It could be a growth building up on the inside of the tank.
There are many imaginative ways to clean the tank. Just google or search Utube. In the mean time don't sweat the small stuff. It may fix itself.
I used the GEO method when my gray tank sensor did the same thing. It worked.
Bought some liquid stuff to remove tease soap etc,, an going to
Put it in before bed and drain it in morning,,thanks for the responses
Old 02-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #8

Virginia
I use a dishwasher detergent. It breaks down the proteins in the water, which is what causes some of the problems with the sensors. 2012 Voltage
Wydoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #9

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wydoin View Post
I use a dishwasher detergent. It breaks down the proteins in the water, which is what causes some of the problems with the sensors. 2012 Voltage
Thank you,, I know everyone says basically live with it,, but I guess I can't stand it , they always have worked correctly,, with the black tank if one stays on I just let it fill with water and redump and it's fine. But the gray tanks that hasn't worked
Old 02-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
Follow the Geo-Method for both gray and black tanks, should minimize your problems. I have used it for years and have never had any issues with my tanks. Factory sensors are a crap shoot, if you want something that works better get the See Level gauges.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #11

Colorado
Ha, I'm like you. For 5 years I had then sensors working on both my black and grey tanks but it took a lot of work! Sometime I'd have to fully flush my tank 3 or 4 times to clear a sensor. Most of the rime is was the black tank but my grey would hang up occasionally as well. OCD
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #12

South Carolina
For what it is worth. Both gray and black water tank indicators on our trailer have always showed one light on when empty. This is since new 11/2017.

Your mileage may vary

Good Luck
Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:39 AM   #13

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcharrette View Post
Ha, I'm like you. For 5 years I had then sensors working on both my black and grey tanks but it took a lot of work! Sometime I'd have to fully flush my tank 3 or 4 times to clear a sensor. Most of the rime is was the black tank but my grey would hang up occasionally as well. OCD
You must be like me,, I know that one lite on is not a big deal,,but it drives ma crazy,glad to know I am not the only one
Old 02-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #14

Illinois
Gray tank again

Unreal, just dumped all 3 tanks,, black tank read 2 lights, filled with fresh water dumped again and no lites, perfect,,,, but the other 2 tanks another story, 2 lites after dumping, filled both with fresh water and dumped again and no change grrrrr!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2019, 11:46 PM   #15

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
For what it is worth. Both gray and black water tank indicators on our trailer have always showed one light on when empty. This is since new 11/2017.

Your mileage may vary

Good Luck
Bill
My mistake,, 1 light is always on mine too, I meant to say I have 2 lights on all the time,, sorry
Old 02-19-2019, 11:48 PM   #16

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wydoin View Post
Gonna try that
Old 02-20-2019, 12:21 AM   #17

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
Got some happy camper,, how much did you put in gray tanks ? And how do you put it in the drains ,, like mix it first or wash it down? I presume its granular ?
Old 02-26-2019, 01:27 AM   #18

Illinois
Gray tanks

Seems I have tried several things,, used happy camper, did nothing,, used dishwasher soap,, nothing ,, today filled both tanks 3/4 full 3 times each and finally after all that they are registering empty,,FINALLY
Old 02-26-2019, 11:15 AM   #19

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
Seems I have tried several things,, used happy camper, did nothing,, used dishwasher soap,, nothing ,, today filled both tanks 3/4 full 3 times each and finally after all that they are registering empty,,FINALLY
I'm going to try that calgon stuff the next time we camp. I tried fabric softener and it seems to work also.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote