Grand Junction question, city water flange/riser tube - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2020, 07:09 AM   #1

Colorado
Grand Junction question, city water flange/riser tube

I have a 2008 Grand Junction 35TMS that currently houses my Mom. She'll be in for a year or so as a last resort to get her out of a crappy situation. I'm really doing my best with it so far.

I am at my wits' end with the city water connection leaking, inside and out, and Google just make simple direct inquiries harder lol.

We were using a Camco heated hose, which is heavier than sin, and eventually stressed the original B&B city water connection to start leaking into the little compartment. We learned the hard way that the 2 piece 'drain-thru to underneath' pipe was separated in the middle and allowed the leaking water to 'drain' into the storage belly via the carpet wicking.

This is the piece that leaked originally, where the swiveling fitting attaches to the water hose, part of the actual 'flange.'

I ordered a replacement flange, same brand same size, and it no longer leaks at the flange itself. Now it leaks on both ends of the 18" 'supply riser' tubing between the flange connection and the interior plumbing. It's rigid as all heck and was awkwardly placed to begin with, with a lot of tension. It was tugged and jostled a bit I'm sure while finding and fixing the first issue. You can see where I circled the new leak points. Both seem to be where the metal on the tube meets the plastic female pieces.

The interior end has a 90 degree elbow.

This is the label from the piece of tube itself.

I can see this Midtec Inc. went out of business, and maybe for good reason?

If I were to call a local hardware, what would I ask for to replace that tube? I ask for your pity in helping me with terminology for exactly what I need. Thank you!

FourCorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:54 PM   #2

Wyoming
Ok, I’m no plumber... but it seems to me that all you need to do at this point is figure how long the hose needs to be, and take that tag to any plumbing supply store... and they can either match you up, or make what you need.

The tag tells you the type of fittings & the size... just not the length.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:17 PM   #3

Florida
With the exception of the special parts like the stuff that attaches to th era. You should be able to get at Lowe’s. I would suggest you start by replacing all you can since it will eventually need to be replaced anyway. You can get the nose at Lowe’s and the connectors too!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:27 PM   #4

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Ok, I’m no plumber... but it seems to me that all you need to do at this point is figure how long the hose needs to be, and take that tag to any plumbing supply store... and they can either match you up, or make what you need.

The tag tells you the type of fittings & the size... just not the length.
Understood, and sorry if it came off like a lazy question. It seems like a lot of these things are specific sizes or have washers/rings that aren't the same as what I have seen in the hardware stores for regular plumbing prior. I was just trying to avoid having to 'shop' and mingle; hopefully just making a call or an order. This is my first venture into trying to replace a defunct manufacturer part with limited funds and travel opportunity to the stores.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:50 AM   #5

Florida
I had a rat eat some of my water lines after it ate my cornhole bags then got thirsty and chewed threw the water lines I found replacement lines at a Mobile home supply store it was relatively inexpensive I also found some at a small hardware store (not ace) I will go by my trailer tomorrow and see if the brand is on there and send you the info to order. All our best fla
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:01 PM   #6

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
With the exception of the special parts like the stuff that attaches to th era. You should be able to get at Lowe’s. I would suggest you start by replacing all you can since it will eventually need to be replaced anyway. You can get the nose at Lowe’s and the connectors too!
No luck at Home Depot, outside of faucet replacement tubes (which do fit, but lack the elbow and are a skinnier inner dimension.) I took a good look around, as it's an hour drive from my house.

I picked up a 24" faucet replacement, just in case I come up empty elsewhere.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:06 PM   #7

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalvw View Post
I had a rat eat some of my water lines after it ate my cornhole bags then got thirsty and chewed threw the water lines I found replacement lines at a Mobile home supply store it was relatively inexpensive I also found some at a small hardware store (not ace) I will go by my trailer tomorrow and see if the brand is on there and send you the info to order. All our best fla
Our local ACE (biggest hardware store for 60 miles) has a decent little RV section, about the size of a Walmart RV section. No luck on the water line connection pieces though, just standard plumbing stuff like faucet line replacements.

Nearest RV parts place is nearly 2 hours away, and they didn't want to ship me anything (lol?).

I am going to install the faucet tube and see how it affects the water pressure. It's a 24" pex tube with straight 1/2" female connection. I'm sure it will work, but I figured the riser tube was used for a reason, I'm just not sure of it yet.

Thanks for the response, I will be trying to source a few more bits and pieces to not end up in a goose chase again.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:43 PM   #8

Florida
This won’t work for you? You don’t have to use pex, you can use fiberglass reinforced hose with stainless steel hose Clamps.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...32A5/206133159
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:40 PM   #9

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
This won’t work for you? You don’t have to use pex, you can use fiberglass reinforced hose with stainless steel hose Clamps.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...32A5/206133159
They will and I've ordered something similar to make connections as needed. To solve my immediate problem, I used a 1/2" female faucet tube replacement.

My original post was aiming to find something locally by first asking what the heck I even needed, and then sourcing it by phone (sans visit to store). Home Depot is 60 miles away, and visiting ACE seemed like an act of attrition if I could avoid it.

All sorted out for now
Old 04-15-2020, 10:08 PM   #10

Arizona
my kid had a trailer they hooked up to city water and all heck broke loose, city water pressure was 60 Psi,, so we put in a regulator and gave her 30 psi,, no more leaks..
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #11

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2481 View Post
my kid had a trailer they hooked up to city water and all heck broke loose, city water pressure was 60 Psi,, so we put in a regulator and gave her 30 psi,, no more leaks..
Thankfully I was able to rule that out overall, we have a pressure regulator on the water well pump itself.

My issues were a stressed city water flange connection, which I replaced. Then it was the next piece in, the stressed ends of a riser tube, which I replaced with a local hardware store 24" faucet connector with 1/2" female ends.

So far, so good.

I'll consider my issue here solved for now, and thank you all for your input

Tags
solved