generator question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2014, 07:00 PM   #1

Utah
generator question

we just bought a 14 denali 293rks and my quetion is. Will a 2kw gen be enough to run everything except A/C? we hardly used the one in our last RV.

2014 denali 293rks
96 dodge 12v 4x4

whitesides293rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #2

Wyoming
Probably not. The microwave could take up to 1500 watts though I think RV ones are usually 800. Add your fridge, furnace, TV, lights and anything else together and you might be shy.

If you're careful when using the generator you'll be fine but you will have to monitor usage.

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:29 PM   #3

Utah
That's kind of what I thought. we'll only use the microwave to pop popcorn so it'll get little use. I tend to use the dutch ovens to cook with. So I think I'll chance it. thank you for your kowledge.

2014 denali 293rks
96 Dodge 12v 4x4
whitesides293rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:38 PM   #4

California
Furnace fan runs on 12v so no problem with it. Run the frig & hot water heater on propane also & you wouldn't have any problem. I had a Yamaha 2400 ie that would run my A/C with no problem. Or could run the microwave with no problem but not both at the same time. Just bought a new Champion 3100W for $899 out at Quartzsite this past January. Has wheels & a handle & only weights 20lbs more than the Yamaha did.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #5

Wyoming
DRat, yes, the furnace runs on 12V but if you are on generator power the demand on the batteries will work the charging system more thus demanding a bigger draw on the generator.

Everyone, on a side note but related, make sure your generators are not contractor grade but are inverter types or you could damage your sensitive electronics. Even if you maintain generators well there is always a risk of bad gas causing the engine to not run perfectly and then you'll get dirty power, which can and will, damage electronics. These electronics include your TV, computers, stereos, the circuit boards in your microwave and fridge, etc. Inverter types give clean power no matter what and will kick out completely if the power is not right. To save a couple hundred dollars on a generator I wouldn't take the risk with the contractor ones.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote