Fresh Water Tank Fell out on way home today - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2021, 12:13 AM   #1

Michigan
Fresh Water Tank Fell out on way home today

2021 Astoria Platinum Fifth Wheel, we were on our way home today from camping this weekend and someone along side us in a vehicle (thanks to them) were pointing at the rear of our trailer. So we stopped got out to check what was going on and we noticed the cheap little aluminum slats that hold the tank up against the bottom of trailer, all of them broke right off and came undone from the frame. Luckily they did have a cheap little strap around the tank and the frame and that was the only thing that kept it from falling right out on the highway and ripping all the plumbing out. Anybody else had this issue?

Alillywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:02 PM   #2

Wisconsin
Bad Juju

This type of failure became common, perhaps since 2007 for Thor trailer companies. I have not heard things like this lately. Kodiak, Voltage, and Keystone were particularly bad for major failures.

Airstream is now a Thor company, but I have not heard such stories about them.

Many of us just pick up the pieces and move on.

Good luck and happy trails ahead!

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:09 PM   #3

Michigan
We were just thinking it was a typical throw it together "Covid" build or is it just the typical Dutchmen poor quality that we are finding so far?
Old 08-02-2021, 06:23 PM   #4

California
I doubt it has anything to do with Covid. Quality control issues with Dutchmen are well known and documented.

I don’t know that other brands are much better for that matter either.

I think unlike a car, which most buyers tend to have a brand in mind when they shop, when it comes to RV’s, buyers just go to a dealer and choose from models they have. Quality control is rarely brought into the discussion. Buyers assume they will work and be assembled correctly, which seems reasonable but as we all know that is simply not the case.

I don’t have experience with the super high end stuff but you shouldn’t have to spend more money to get a well constructed and safe RV—better finishes and features sure but not reliability.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:33 PM   #5

Michigan
We had an older Montana for 4 years prior to getting this new one and had zero issues in 4 years. We just upgraded due to layout, but I agree there is defanatly better or worse. I would say there is different levels, and I guess we learnt a lesson trying to go a tad cheaper on this Dutchmen rather than a new Montana. I understand that they are made by the same company, but there has to be better quality in the higher brands. I work for GM, and we have Chevys and Buicks going down the same line, but the Buicks get way better quality stuff put in them as they go through the plant. So I am sure that is the same situation here. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:04 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
Water Tank Fall

2016 Rubicon - Tank dropped onto the axle while filling for a trip, small angle iron with one sheet metal screw on each end was all that was holding it up,

Replaced with 2 large ratchet straps and rubber pads to protect the tank

Eye Hooks thru the frame
shiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:14 AM   #7

California
2018 Voltage My black water tank almost fell out. My control cable froze and when I was replacing the cable to the valve , I noticed the tank was half way out of the simple frame that holds them up. I removed the screw, moved the frame to where it was supposed to go. It was even marked where it was supposed to go.
larrypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:04 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
larrypride, I just purchased a 2019 voltage. I noticed after the first time out the cables for my tanks are tight and I am concerned. Can you share any light on where the tanks actually are under the unit?
bobomara5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:00 PM   #9

Texas
I had some work to do inside the belly of my TT. Also found the aluminum angle through the middle of the freshwater tank was very badly bowed and things looked like they were starting to slip along the outside braces. Replaced the aluminum brace with carbon steel angle iron and build actual end brackets that bolted to the frame in place of the cut, then bent over aluminum to mount the new CS brace. Factory also ran some wiring inside the FW tank brackets that was being pinched by the tank.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:25 AM   #10

California
I just got home and my kitchen Gray tank valve is frozen. I replace the black and gray for shower already. What a pain. I’ve got to find the valve and replace the cable. I have a bigger concern and I needed to start a new thread. I lost a wheel bearing spinal was toast. I will post more but Major concern is I have Auto Club premier RV towing. They wouldn’t come give me assistance or tow me to a shop. I’m really disappointed in the AAA they left me on the interstate to deal with it myself.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #11

Florida
Wow, what were the circumstances around your wheel bearing issue? Middle of the night, fire zone, in the boonies????
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:03 PM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrypride View Post
I just got home and my kitchen Gray tank valve is frozen. I replace the black and gray for shower already. What a pain. I’ve got to find the valve and replace the cable. I have a bigger concern and I needed to start a new thread. I lost a wheel bearing spinal was toast. I will post more but Major concern is I have Auto Club premier RV towing. They wouldn’t come give me assistance or tow me to a shop. I’m really disappointed in the AAA they left me on the interstate to deal with it myself.

Why did AAA not help? You pay for their RV service right? I had a bad experience with Progressive’s roadside assistance and actually added AAA figuring they were better.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:58 PM   #13

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
Why did AAA not help? You pay for their RV service right? I had a bad experience with Progressive’s roadside assistance and actually added AAA figuring they were better.
I wrote something about this potential before in another thread…

Not all states’ AAA offer the Premier service… and if you have an issue in such a state, they say they’ll try to assist, but it’s not guaranteed.

Basically what it comes down to is this: if their usual contracted tow companies in the state & area in question also offer RV, motorcycle, and /or other vehicle services… then they will dispatch them to help. But if not, then they have nothing to offer, and no one to send.

I’m not saying that definitely happened here… but it wouldn’t surprise me if it did.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 03:34 PM   #14

California
That’s exactly what happened. I have the AAA Premier RV and motorcycle coverage. I’m going to write letters to AAA president and go see local manager. I’m very fortunate that I was close to a truck stop and 20 miles from Boise. If this happened ever again and I couldn’t get help, I would unload Harley dump all fluids for less weight, put all movable weight to bedroom, and go slow on three wheels.
Old 08-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #15

California
I’m considering upgrading to 8,000 lb. axles if they have heavier bearings. I’m also going to check out the Timkin bearings to see if their made in America. My bearings are made in China of course.
Old 08-20-2021, 04:08 PM   #16

Arizona
FYI there is zero quality at the trailer factories. Workers are paid by the piece so build it fast is the order of the day. There is nobody checking their work. Sawdust and scraps abound when trailers arrive at the dealer.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:27 AM   #17

Florida
Greasing wheels is an issue. If you have zerks on your hubs, why? Putting fresh grease into thise zerks can result in overgreasing and blowing out seals and creating a mess. After pulling the wheels on mine, I found that the wheels were overgreased at the factory and one of my brakes were not working. Is it good practice to have the wheels pulled after purchase to repack the bearings with a high quality bearing grease? Does quality grease “evaporate “ with use that we need to out fresh grease in those zerks? What are your thoughts?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 02:35 PM   #18

California
I don’t use the zerks., I repack the bearings every year. I don’t think the zerk could get grease to the outer bearing. My bearings both burnt up so bad I had to replace the spindle.
Old 08-21-2021, 03:12 PM   #19

Wisconsin
Modern wheel bearings are not like the old farm implement systems that could use bear grease. Chemistry in the steel and in the grease matters to prevent certain types of bearing corrosion. Loading makes a big difference and works differently with speed and loading.

I have a Dexter axle with the easy grease fittings. The manual explains a lot. Apparently boat axles that get dunked often have more need for frequent greasing.

Frequent greasing works better with the easy grease system. If you let the grease age and expose it to heat, it becomes thicker and and requires more pressure to force through the bearing races and channels. More pressure can pop the inner seals and contaminate brakes.

Cheap seals, poorly finished seal surfaces, old hard grease all lead to seal failure. Add to that, power grease guns and service technicians in a hurry and failure is eminent.

Disassembling and hand greasing is of course a good solution. Use the grease recommended by the axle manufacture to get the correct chemistry. Follow proper procedures. Details matter and failure to follow procedures leads to other kinds of failure.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 04:45 PM   #20

California
I have my axles done each year at the beginning of the travel season. And the tires balanced.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote