Fresh water fill - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2017, 01:52 AM   #1

West Virginia
Fresh water fill

We recently purchased a used 2017 Dutchmen Denali 280lbs. We have camped a few times and have run into a problem with filling our fresh water tank. The owners manual states that we have a 56 gallon tank. We have tried filling the tank from home before we leave and it appears full because it bubbles out the top of the fill spout. But when using the fresh water from tank we get no where near 56 gallons. It is almost as if the pump hose in the tank isn't long enough. I would imagine we get like 20 gallons out before it appears to be used up. I know there are several valves and such. Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be our problem or how to fix this issue. Thanks!

Campingfamof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:11 AM   #2

Tennessee
I'd fill it completely at home then use a 5 gallon bucket and the drain hose to measure capacity. I normally fill my fresh water as close to my destination as possible when boondocking. It eliminates spillage and that's an awful lot of weight to be hauling in a plastic tank bouncing down the road.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:42 AM   #3

Wyoming
If you wanna know exactly how much water you're putting in... get yourself one of these. Mine's accurate within a ½ pint.

https://www.amazon.com/2-P3-P0550-Wa...ds=Water+meter

As for being able to get the tank completely full, sometimes the fill hose between the inlet and the tank sags... and the air bubble that creates stops more water from going in. So you may have to either "burp" the system with a smaller air escape hose, or pull the slack out of it and snip off the excess.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingfamof5 View Post
We recently purchased a used 2017 Dutchmen Denali 280lbs. We have camped a few times and have run into a problem with filling our fresh water tank. The owners manual states that we have a 56 gallon tank. We have tried filling the tank from home before we leave and it appears full because it bubbles out the top of the fill spout. But when using the fresh water from tank we get no where near 56 gallons. It is almost as if the pump hose in the tank isn't long enough. I would imagine we get like 20 gallons out before it appears to be used up. I know there are several valves and such. Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be our problem or how to fix this issue. Thanks!

I had the same issue. I tried everything, even bought some of those hose attachments specifically made to fill the tank. I brought it to the dealer, they found a piece of plastic covering the vent and was causing the issue. they fixed it. Sounds like you have the same problem.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #5

Arizona
This is a sore point for me. First of all, I can't just stick a hose in the filler and chug away. The air in the system tends to want to burp out the filler hose rather than the overflow line. In another thread someone seems to have solved this burping problem by sticking a tube in the overflow line and blowing out the water that seems to get 'stuck' in the line and won't let the air go by. Give that a try. It worked for me.
Secondly there is no way that fresh water tank holds 50+ gallons by itself. I've measured the water flowing into the tank and consistently read 36-37 gallons maximum into an empty tank. Perhaps they count the water heater tank and the water lines in their claim of 50 gallons. More like an "alternative fact" from the marketing department.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:04 PM   #6

Florida
this is what I got from SUNRISE camping center concerning the splashback when I tried to fill the fresh water tank:

THE FRESH WATER TANK BREATHER HAD SOME KIND OF FILM OVER IT SO IT WASN'T ABLE TO BREATH WHILE TAKING IN WATER CAUSING IT TO BACK FLOW BACK OUT, WE FILLED IT THREE TIMES. AND WE HAVE SECURED THE ASSIST HANDLE.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #7

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingfamof5 View Post
I also have a 2017 280lbs (early build - late 2016 basically). Although I believe they are identical except for exterior graphics. I suspect I have the same issue with a non-functioning tank fill vent. Mine gurgles significantly after awhile and I'm filling it super slow, like less than quarter open on the faucet slow (I'm guessing 2 gal/min). My last RV (Arctic Fox TC) had significant airflow coming out the tank fill vent when filling slowly and our Denali has zero detectable air flow from the vent.

You and I should compare notes on other items....this RV has been a near disaster so far with approximately 40 items to fix before I took delivery. If it hadn't been for the nearest dealer being 280 miles away, I'd have walked away from the deal. A large Keystone dealer in my city is working on the repairs that are now called "warranty" items, although I consider them "pre-delivery" items.
iwski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:43 PM   #8

Texas
I have that problem from time to time, I think the vent hose gets kinks or filled with water. I use a gallon meter to know where I'm at and if water back flows out before it's full, with the water wide open, I'll press the hose hard into the fill to create a seal and hold it until the pressure clears the vent hose with a big gush of air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote