Faded front end cap! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #1

Michigan
Faded front end cap!

Can anyone help me with a faded front end cap? I have owned my 2012 Komfort 3530FBH fifth wheel for two years, being very meticulous about washing and waxing it twice a year. The trailer looks great other than the front cap, it has faded. I have tried several rubbing compounds, color restorers, waxes etc. to no avail.

I have contacted Dutchman and was told I should take it to a body shop and see what they can do. They were no help at all!

Has anyone tried a special product to help restore the color and shine to a front end cap?

I have attached pictures.

Thanks,
Komfortrv250
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Komfor.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Komfort RV5.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Komfort RV2.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	850  

komfortrv250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #2

Ontario
I had the same problem with my 2012 Infinity 3640 and understand that this was a real problem for many.The only solution is to repaint the front cap and apply a clearcoat.Dutchmen paid for this repainting under warranty in my case and it now looks great. There obviously is a major problem with the gelcoat used on thes trailers!

Janeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #3

New Mexico
same problem here, not sure if its going to get fixed under warranty as Ive mentioned it to CW when the trailer was brought in for other work but nothing was done.
72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:29 PM   #4

New Mexico
Also I was up on the roof today fixing what should have been done from the factory concerning the AC and noticed the top of my rear cap also looks like its oxidizing.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #5

Ohio
2012 Infinity Owner and end cap top discolored. Bought used but did not see it in the snow! Does anything work to make it better beside a re-paint?
Mike and Maryellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:49 AM   #6

Ontario
I guess you could power buff the gelcoat and perhaps use color restorer. In my case it improved the look for a short time only.I think there is a problem with the gelcoat and only repainting it with a final clear coat will solve the problem in my opinion. I suggest you talk to Dutchmen since I am sure they are aware of the problem and in my case they stood behind their product by approving a repaint.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:08 AM   #7

New Mexico
I picked up my unit today after it was finally fixed after a slide issue that had been present since July. I spoke with the CW rep yet again especially since the trailer is out of warranty and he said he would refer it to the body guy for guidance but historically he told me that the companies rarely allott enough time to do a repaint under warranty,
Old 04-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #8

New York
My son has a camper made by Heartland and his end cap faded and the rep told him that they have had a lot of complaints about it but no suggestion on what to do about it.
spud60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:47 AM   #9

Ontario
My trailer was out of warranty as well but Dutchmen stood behind their product and paid to repaint the cap. It is not often these days that companies stand behind their product.
I suggest you go to another dealer who will go to bat for you like mine did.I believe they know there was a problem with the gelcoat.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:41 AM   #10

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeric View Post
My trailer was out of warranty as well but Dutchmen stood behind their product and paid to repaint the cap. It is not often these days that companies stand behind their product.
I suggest you go to another dealer who will go to bat for you like mine did.I believe they know there was a problem with the gelcoat.
My problem is that the only dealer that will support my unit is CW in the Vegas area unless that has changed with the ownership. Perhaps a call to the corporate warranty department will create positive news. Dutchmen (old owner) in my case has dropped the ball countless times.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #11

Michigan
I have talked to my dealer in Michigan, General RV and they told me there is only a one year warranty on the exterior but would talk to Dutchman. Of course, Dutchman told them they couldn't do anything to help me out. It's just sad when you spend all that money on a product that begins to fall apart after one year and the manufacturer doesn't stand behind it.

komfortrv250 is offline   Reply With Quote