Dutchmen Infinity Quality - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #21

Texas
i have a 2012 inifinity 3870FK we have had slide leaks window leaks the frige has quit fowr times the leveling system quit the bed frame broke down one tv has quite working water lines leaking the steps or braking down we have payed about 5000 dollars on repars the dealer will not work on nor dutchman

phillip branch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #22

Texas
i have a 2012 inifinity 3870FK we have had slide leaks window leaks the frige has quit fowr times the leveling system quit the bed frame broke down one tv has quite working water lines leaking the steps or braking down we have payed about 5000 dollars on repars the dealer will not work on nor dutchman

Old 05-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #23
Djs

Utah
I recently bought a 2013 used Infinity 3640RL from a local dealer with no warranty because I am pretty handy. I traded in a 2006 Keystone Challenger 32'. Many years ago I worked for 5 months in a mobile home factory during a furlough from my government job. I found that the workers, for the most part, were uneducated and unskilled. I assume this is the way it is in the RV factories. They take anyone they can get and hope for the best. I made a lot of repairs to my 06, but never thought I'd have to do so much with my newer Infinity. I had three leaking windows - all in the living room and entertainment slides. I found a great way to fix them. You take the inside frame off of the window, spray window foam insulation (flexible) between the window frame and the wall. When it is cured, cut off the excess with a sharp knife. Then re-install the inside frame. There's no way they can leak now. I found that they cut the window holes a bit too large and the outside window frame could not seal properly. I don't have any issues with the other windows (yet). I found that the king bed frame was not supported properly (sagging) and had to put supports under it. The Maxxair electric vent caps in the kitchen and bathroom were cracked around the areas where the support rods connect. They both leaked when it rained. I used silicone rubber on the inside of the vent caps and put self leveling lap sealant on top of the caps. They are supposed to have a lifetime warranty, but not for me. Yesterday I replaced the plastic screw cover trim on both sides of the Infinity under the cargo bays because they were cut too short and there were gaps on both sides. Anyway, those are the major issues I've had so far. Poor quality and poor craftsmanship, but I will make it better than it ever was coming out of the factory.
Djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #24

Texas
more problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip branch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip branch View Post
these dam good tires dutchmen puts on the high dollar campers a 2012 brand new here is 2014 bloing out the dam tires out 1000 dollars up to about 6000 now april 2012 to april of 2014
Old 07-15-2014, 03:40 AM   #25

California
We will NEVER purchase another RV from Camping World. We went back for service and the manager of the service department treated us like we came from some backward country. He as much as called us stupid. I called Dutchmen and they recommended a small mom and pop repair site and we were very happy with them. They are trying to fix an ongoing problem for us (the one we originally went to Camping World with) and hope that it gets fixed soon. Camping world is a very poor place to deal with.
birdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:35 AM   #26

New Mexico
I'm glad you had another option besides CW. We were forced to deal with them (being from LV) and it was pretty pathetic especially since we had numerous issues.
72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #27
Site Team

North Carolina
Camping World has become the Walmart of the camping world... unfortunately. Our favorite hometown dealer got bought out by them a couple of years ago. Fortunately (or unfortunately when it comes to warranty work) they are our only choice. I normally do my own work because I can't trust anyone else to seem to do it right the first time, if ever.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:19 AM   #28

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Camping World has become the Walmart of the camping world... unfortunately. Our favorite hometown dealer got bought out by them a couple of years ago. Fortunately (or unfortunately when it comes to warranty work) they are our only choice. I normally do my own work because I can't trust anyone else to seem to do it right the first time, if ever.

Aaron
I'm going to stand up for Camping World here in Burlington, WA. They had my coach for a long, long time last fall, winter and spring (7 months.) But most of that time was dealing with Dutchmen and working around my schedule. By the time the slide work was finished, the repaint was done, and the other various repairs were made, I was pretty satisfied. The work was well done and in the end that's what was important to me. So kudo's to this particular Camping World.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:14 AM   #29

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

Aaron
I stopped at 3 Camping World stores last year on our cross country and a few independents (mom and pop operations).

The only thing I can say is the folks at Camping World were not happy campers almost to the point of being down right surly. The folks at the independents were much more friendly and helpful.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #30

Michigan
I finally got all (I hope) the bugs worked out of the air conditioning unit in the kitchen, which also cools the front living room.

What I found:

Piss poor workmanship and design of the air conditioning system.
The "air intake" was coming in through the round vents in the ceiling that should have been the discharge vents. This means the "slot vents" in the living room fascia also sucked warm air into the air conditioner rather than blow cold air

The only discharge vent was in the main air cowling in the galley, no way was it going to cool the living room. From that far back.

So what did I do you may ask,

Replaced all of the hockey puck circle vents with what I will call jalosiy vents. The circle vent I repurposed into to a hold down device for inside the ceiling duct. I was able to sand which the three different layers into one slayer. Thus prevents the chilled air from leaking into the ceilind. I also made my own version of the "tent in a vent". This's allowed the air to be redirected into the vent tube.o
O
After all of this I now have:
Great cold air flow all the way to the front of the living room

Great cold air flow in the other vents.
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #31

Ontario
quality???

I have been reading this thread about quality issues for Infinity'. We have a 2012 Infinity 3640 we ordered new with virtually all the options and upgrades you could get. It was marketed as a " high end unit" . In the two plus years we have had this unit, we have had many quality issues that I do not believe should be present in a unit of this price range. Some but not all of the major issues were:
-- a complete hydraulic failure due to two hoses not being properly crimped--the trailer was two weeks old !
--a broken slide--1 week old !
-- two defective axles -- trailer not overloaded--weighed at scale.
-- front cap faded after 1 year. Had to be repainted and clear coated.
-- hydraulic system blowing fuses because it was not wired properly.
-- numerous issues requiring repair by myself--trim falling off,plastic taps breaking, bed base coming apart,etc. Even the blow up mattress for the couch wouldn't hold air and had to be replaced the first time we tried to use it.

The latest issue is a cracked black tank that has to be replaced. It had been previously repaired although I have never had a repair done. Since I ordered the unit new, I can only assume it was cracked and repaired at the factory. I guess they figured the repair would last long enough for the warranty to expire. To add insult to injury the tank is not stocked and will take 4-6 weeks to deliver resulting in us not being able to leave for warmer weather for at least that long.
There seems to be minimal or no quality control whatsoever at the factory. Dutchmen has to do a better job if they want to stay in business!
Janeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:26 AM   #32
Site Team

North Carolina
In case you haven't heard Dutchmen is basically dead. Management of the Dutchmen plants has been taken over by Keystone. I have a 2015 Coleman by Dutchmen, but the tag says it was built by Keystone.

Apparently they finally pissed off Thor bad enough they booted Dutchmen management. Don't know if it will make a difference or not. There is so much crap QC in the entire RV industry that the only thing you can do is go over your potential unit with a fine tooth comb prior to signing. If it is crap... walk away... quickly and look for a different unit.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:44 AM   #33

Indiana
Janeric,

Very sorry to hear of your issues with your coach. Obviously, I'm not surprised. I hope you get things replaced and straightened out soon.
The "New" Dutchmen (Thor owned) for 2012 decided to as you said, 'marketed as a high end unit'. This was Dutchmen's first endeavor with this type of unit. They have failed. All eight models including your 3640 & my 3850 are no longer being manufactured.
They have changed the models in 2014 and now only offer four models in Infinity.
On the other hand they have many Voltage models and still offer paint for those units. Some Voltage owners are having good luck and others are not.
Honestly, I don't believe that Dutchmen really cares .

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:37 AM   #34

Colorado
Let me preface this with an opinion - people are not coming to forums to do handsprings and shout out how wonderful their trailer/truck/car is. No, they are coming to crab. I think think the crabby folks are in the minority but they seem to have the majority of the "in your face" type of coverage.

With that said, let me say that I undestand when folks have complaints and I do agree that when there are more than 2 or 3 with the same issues, there is likely fire where there is smoke.

I say that SO FAR we have had NO problems with our Infinity. Well, maybe a minor issue or two that was easily fixed without getting riled up about warranty issues.

The problem with forums like these are that the disgruntled have much louder voices than the satisfied, which tips the scales in a direction it should perhaps not go. So the few here, that have had problems, and I will not deny that problems do exist, seem to outweight the 10x or 20x of us that have no problems.

The summary of this post, is make your post personal, state YOUR problems, but, please do not make it as though an entire class of trailers is bad.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:13 AM   #35

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
Let me preface this with an opinion - people are not coming to forums to do handsprings and shout out how wonderful their trailer/truck/car is. No, they are coming to crab. I think think the crabby folks are in the minority but they seem to have the majority of the "in your face" type of coverage.

With that said, let me say that I undestand when folks have complaints and I do agree that when there are more than 2 or 3 with the same issues, there is likely fire where there is smoke.

I say that SO FAR we have had NO problems with our Infinity. Well, maybe a minor issue or two that was easily fixed without getting riled up about warranty issues.

The problem with forums like these are that the disgruntled have much louder voices than the satisfied, which tips the scales in a direction it should perhaps not go. So the few here, that have had problems, and I will not deny that problems do exist, seem to outweight the 10x or 20x of us that have no problems.

The summary of this post, is make your post personal, state YOUR problems, but, please do not make it as though an entire class of trailers is bad.
Well stated

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:30 AM   #36

Washington
Chalkie, you made a valid point and I agree that there probably are many satisfied owners out there. But... the dealers are partly to blame here as they have downgraded the trade-in value of these rigs based on warranty issues and reputation. Trade-in on your rig is probably no more than1/3 of what you paid. For those of us who wanted out of our rigs because of problems that's a bit of a hit. The dealer I bought mine from no longer carries the brand. So while I agree that these forums are dominated by complainers, I think in this case it's warranted. And please believe me, I'm thrilled that your unit hasn't had the major problems. I wish I had gotten yours. Having said that, I've sold mine and think it's time I became a looker and not as much of a participant.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #37

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkie View Post
let me preface this with an opinion - people are not coming to forums to do handsprings and shout out how wonderful their trailer/truck/car is. No, they are coming to crab. I think think the crabby folks are in the minority but they seem to have the majority of the "in your face" type of coverage.

With that said, let me say that i undestand when folks have complaints and i do agree that when there are more than 2 or 3 with the same issues, there is likely fire where there is smoke.

I say that so far we have had no problems with our infinity. Well, maybe a minor issue or two that was easily fixed without getting riled up about warranty issues.

The problem with forums like these are that the disgruntled have much louder voices than the satisfied, which tips the scales in a direction it should perhaps not go. So the few here, that have had problems, and i will not deny that problems do exist, seem to outweight the 10x or 20x of us that have no problems.

The summary of this post, is make your post personal, state your problems, but, please do not make it as though an entire class of trailers is bad.
x2 !
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #38

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post

I do not think the entire class of trailers is bad and I actually quite like the trailer, the floorplan and the way it tows. There are always some issues with all units just like there are with cars or other complex products.However, most of the major problems I have experienced could have been prevented with proper quality control at the factory. I hope Dutchmen will recognize this and make positive changes.
I agree that most people who write to these forums are not happy campers and that is unfortunate since it would be good to hear that people like you have had positive experiences.
Sorry for venting--the cracked black tank that had been repaired at the factory was the final straw for me. Dutchmen please improve your quality control !
Old 11-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #39

Colorado
I think every manufacturer has issues and sites like this are a clearing house to get them out there and figure out fixes. You'll see that with any auto based site. I was a Ford mechanic for several years and a lot of there models had "known issues". On the Explorers it was bad thermostats, on one of the car models (can't remember the name) it was timing belts. We had a Land Rover Disco 2, all I heard about was bad head gaskets and shift issues.
My point is while all these issues are valid sites like this generally do not represent the majority who are happily camping rather than logged on venting problems and trying to find solutions!
With regard to the black tank issue, mine cracked as well about 2 months after purchasing the camper new. I found it while flushing out the black tank since water started pouring out of the underbelly!! I peeled back the under belly once home and took a peek at things, found a crack just above the "Full" sensor. I called my dealer, told them I had a crack and needed a new tank. He said it would take 4+weeks and it was just coming into July. There was NO WAY I was losing my camper for the summer! I asked if I could email a pick to start the warranty process and told him I would silicone seal the crack in the mean time and not go over 1/2 on the black tank. He agreed that was a good solution to keep me rolling through the summer.
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #40

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcharrette View Post
I think every manufacturer has issues and sites like this are a clearing house to get them out there and figure out fixes. You'll see that with any auto based site. I was a Ford mechanic for several years and a lot of there models had "known issues". On the Explorers it was bad thermostats, on one of the car models (can't remember the name) it was timing belts. We had a Land Rover Disco 2, all I heard about was bad head gaskets and shift issues.
My point is while all these issues are valid sites like this generally do not represent the majority who are happily camping rather than logged on venting problems and trying to find solutions!
With regard to the black tank issue, mine cracked as well about 2 months after purchasing the camper new. I found it while flushing out the black tank since water started pouring out of the underbelly!! I peeled back the under belly once home and took a peek at things, found a crack just above the "Full" sensor. I called my dealer, told them I had a crack and needed a new tank. He said it would take 4+weeks and it was just coming into July. There was NO WAY I was losing my camper for the summer! I asked if I could email a pick to start the warranty process and told him I would silicone seal the crack in the mean time and not go over 1/2 on the black tank. He agreed that was a good solution to keep me rolling through the summer.
I wonder if they had some bad tanks. Unfortunately, the crack in mine is at the bottom where the drain pipe goes out. I was hoping mine was at the top like yours so I could use it by not filling like you did. The tank had been repaired and the dealer said it could not be repaired again. So here I sit in the cold ,wet, and snow (soon) waiting for the tank. I should be on the golf course in AZ but what can you do. I can't travel and live in it without a toilet.