Contact for replacement cabinetry? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 05:42 AM   #1

New Mexico
Contact for replacement cabinetry?

Hello again and sorry its another question about a problem vs. a solution but is there an easy answer or vendor to replace the closet doors for a 3750FL? I will post up links to the pictures and the glass is intact but the frame is useless, as always thanks for any and all support!

http://s15.postimg.org/4l6cy074r/Lower_Jamb.jpg

http://s21.postimg.org/6mh95qu1j/Upper_Jamb.jpg

http://s30.postimg.org/7bpbtxlrl/Good_Side.jpg

72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #2

Washington
Somebody may have a better answer for you but a little Gorilla glue and a couple of straps would do a great job of making repairs. After it all dries use a razor blade to remove the excess and you might not even notice it. Other than the factory I can't think of anywhere convenient to get that replaced and we all know how that would go.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #3

Oklahoma
It's doubtful any manufacturer's help can be had for this problem but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I agree with the Gorilla glue, used as the directions state. I'd remove the door and do the Gorilla glue thing with bar clamps holding the broken parts in place. After the glue is dried drill a small pilot hole from the bottom stile into the side stile. Drill at an angle so you can get a good bite on both pieces with the appropriate sized course cabinet screw. Counter sink the screw head and you'll have better joinery than the butt joint the cabinet maker thought was 'good enough'. Do all corners and do the other door too, might as well make it strong and long lasting.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #4

British Columbia
You could try your local cabinet maker or check the RV salvage yards. If memory serves me, there are a couple of large salvage yards in the southwest.

My son is a cabinet maker and he has done a few touch ups for me in the past and they have come out looking good.

Unless there is some compelling reason that you must have mirrors in the doors, I would suggest that you go with an all wood door. The mirrors do not provide any structural integrity.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #5

Louisiana
A skilled carpenter or cabinet maker should be able to match the wood, the stain, and the edge routing to make you a replacement door. If he can't get it to match perfectly, then you could ask him to make 2 doors so that it won't be noticeable.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #6

Nevada
I can't tell from the pics if the frame material splintered. One of our wardrobe frames fell apart at the joint, and it appeared the glue holding the mirror into the frame was also part of the adhesion process. Unfortunately, the glue broke down and it all fell apart. Fortunately, it was under warranty so the dealer re-glued everything. That was about a 1 1/2 years ago and it is still holding together. Fingers crossed!

If it does fall apart again, I would rather tackle it myself than try to get the factory or the dealer involved again.

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #7

Ohio
72mach,

So sorry for the issues you are experiencing with your unit. If you haven't yet worked on this, I would like to add my $.02 as well. I agree with sundancer with a couple of minor changes. My experience with Gorilla glue has not been great (although I may not be using it right). It expands in the joint and forces it open. I use Titebond II in my wood shop. Even Elmer's white glue holds my old entertainment center together.

If you use screws as suggested, perhaps a fine thread would be better than coarse in the cherry hardwood. That's what the Kreg company recommends with their jig.

If we were a bit closer, I would be glad to try to fix it for you.

Good luck,
Steve.Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:36 AM   #8

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.Merritt View Post
72mach,

So sorry for the issues you are experiencing with your unit. If you haven't yet worked on this, I would like to add my $.02 as well. I agree with sundancer with a couple of minor changes. My experience with Gorilla glue has not been great (although I may not be using it right). It expands in the joint and forces it open. I use Titebond II in my wood shop. Even Elmer's white glue holds my old entertainment center together.

If you use screws as suggested, perhaps a fine thread would be better than coarse in the cherry hardwood. That's what the Kreg company recommends with their jig.

If we were a bit closer, I would be glad to try to fix it for you.

Good luck,
Thank you and all of the forum members for all the help. This door actually broke some time ago and I used gorilla glue and a corner brace to fix it however the frame has broken in two other spots as shown in the picture and yes its splintered. My wife had the joy of that problem and another issue with the bed frame both of which she didn't tell me about until I returned from my latest trip. She was more focused on the water heater outlined in another thread which was more important in the long run. I was thinking about lowes since they do some mill work and custom made my folding doors which replaced the bathroom doors and made it a bit easer to get to the bedroom. If I get a solved solution I'll post it up and thanks again!

72mach is offline   Reply With Quote