Black Water Tank - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2018, 05:02 AM   #1

Washington
Black Water Tank

Today, I was flushing out my black water tank and forgot about it. My wife heard water and I ran out and opened the gate valve on my black water tank and drained it. It had over filled.
The entire bottom of the 5th wheel has the black plastic coated cardboard covering it so that I can not see the black water tank. I know that water collected above the black plastic so I worked most of it out by lifting up on the plastic so that it ran out where the tank drain pipe runs out.

The inside of the rig shows no water gathering anywhere. I really don't know where the water escaped from the black water tank. I think Im going to have to remove the black plastic so that it will dry out.

I do not know the design of the system so Im curious where the water overflowed from. Any advice would me greatly appreciated.

rockcandymountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:23 PM   #2

Florida
It possibly came out of your roof vent. I saw a guy at campground do this once while he was flushing his black tank he turned on the hose and he walked away to do other things and forgot to open the black tank valve to drain it

Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:55 AM   #3

Colorado
Yup, out the roof vent. Been there, done that...got the T-shirt.

Left the black water rinse water on and closed the black water tank valve.

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:57 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Water in the belly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalvw View Post
It possibly came out of your roof vent.
If it came out the roof vent, how would it get into the belly space?
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:26 PM   #5

Florida
Check sewer vent pipe either out top,thru head onto floor (worn flush valve) or vent tube came apart just above black tank. Heartland website was talking about overfilling black tank and the pipe came apart just under the roof and the sewage went thru his AC venting system I really don't think they put a lot of care into their vent systems look at how the rest is built
Old 10-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
If it came out the roof vent, how would it get into the belly space?
Cracked pipe, no glue in the joints, poor joints, etc,

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #7

Texas
Sounds like pressure builds up in your black tank it will crack thus you will have water in your underbelly.
Alprath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:05 PM   #8

Texas
When I flush, I set my watch timer to 10 minutes while I flush the tank, usually about 3 times. I then turn off the fresh water, let the tank drain until nothing comes out, then add 5-8 gallons if fresh water. The secret is a watch or phone timer in your possession and react promptly when it goes off
Old 10-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #9

Utah
This is not helpful, but I have never closed the dump valve while flushing the black tank. There is a huge warning sticker on my RV that says to never have the valve closed while flushing. That said, it sounds like a lot of folks here do it that way. So I agree, a timer is critical.

All that said, I am not sure what the flushing mechanism actually looks like. If you wanted to just run more clean water into and out of the black tank, why not just keep the toilet going for a bit once you've drained most of the junk out? I assumed that the black flush mechanism was a sprayer or sorts that was designed to further clean the blank tank. ???
Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:27 PM   #10

Florida
Our voltage i clean the black tank the old way thru the toilet just my preference I'll spend the extra few minutes and do it that way for my peace of mind my three prior trailers did not have the outside flush like this one does again my preference to do it old-school . And our 2001 Ford F-350 has hand crank widows no issues just saying