back up camera - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #1

Illinois
back up camera

I have a Dutchmen Voltage 3655 39 ft 5th wheel toy hauler that has been prepped for a back up camera. does anyone have any recommendations on what type will work or what type I should have ? Is the installation easy being the 5th wheel is prepped for it? would appreciate all information. thank you

McG's Mobile Manor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:08 PM   #2

Florida
Many types out there. We took the low cost one and used a license plate camera system.
The main negative is inconsistent image transmission. Fuzzy,yes, but adequate for viewing our bicycle. Good view angle for backing up,but cannot replace the wife.
Over all for 95.00 it was good.

Hwanjwcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:28 PM   #3

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by McG's Mobile Manor View Post
I have a Dutchmen Voltage 3655 39 ft 5th wheel toy hauler that has been prepped for a back up camera. does anyone have any recommendations on what type will work or what type I should have ? Is the installation easy being the 5th wheel is prepped for it? would appreciate all information. thank you
What year is your trailer? And what does "prepped for a backup camera" mean? Is it wired to a certain location?
Old 01-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #4

Colorado
My 3200 came with a Garmin BC model that is screwed to the metal frame above the ramp door. The Garmin camera has a wire lead that ends with a multi-prong connector which they routed through a small hole in the frame. That wire lead attaches to a connector inside the ramp door frame.

I believe that wire inside the ramp door frame is routed to the front of the trailer to a wireless transmitter in the cabinet above the right night stand.
Its4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #5

Florida
Mine came with one but was wireless. The only prep I could see was the power cord came out of the roof at the back. Have no idea what the power is connected to. Nothing in the 12v fuse box turns it off.
vchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:55 PM   #6

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vchris View Post
Mine came with one but was wireless. The only prep I could see was the power cord came out of the roof at the back. Have no idea what the power is connected to. Nothing in the 12v fuse box turns it off.
It should be 12v power coming from the tow vehicle, at least that is what I have found on mine.
1st-tt2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:56 PM   #7

Colorado
The power to the camera comes from the running lights. In order for my camera to work, I have to turn the lights in the truck on, which also powers the running lights on the trailer.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #8

California
I have a 2018 2951 Voltage toy hauler, I haven't found any cable for back up camera? I need to look some more. Its4 you say its over the ramp door, inside or out? Thanks.
larrypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #9

Colorado
The combination power/video cable on mine is routed INSIDE the hollow ramp door frame up to the very top middle of the frame. I don't know if it came from factory this way, or if the dealer had to pull the cable up to that point (mine supposedly came with backup camera per the invoice). Anyway, there is a quarter-sized hole right above the middle of ramp door frame. The garmin BC is screwed to the metal frame over this hole and the BC wire is routed into the hole and pluged into the trailer cable (male/female connectors).

You might want to contact Dutchmen to find out how these things come wired from the factory. If not pre-wired I would guess there is no cable.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:13 AM   #10

California
Thanks for the reply, I will check.
larrypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:10 AM   #11

Florida
I’ve talked with several people that use the power from the running lights. Not sure if mine is factory or not, but it’s not wired to the running lights nor is it wired to the tow vehicle power. Some how it is wired direct to the battery and the only way to turn it off is using the main battery switch for the camper. I can’t even find a fuse or breaker for the thing.
vchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:50 PM   #12

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by McG's Mobile Manor View Post

Does your trailer have the mount preinstalled on the top rear? And does it look like the lower left in this AMAZON ad?

https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-Lippe...p+camera&psc=1

This is what mine had along with a power lead that is tied to the running/parking lites.

I paid the big bucks for this one. It works great no issues,

Good luck
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #13

Arizona
I'm with the Army this one. Buy a good unit. Either the Furrion he mentions or the more expensive observation version are very good at maintaining a signal over 30 feet. I bought the observation unit version with the mounting bracket as my trailer didn't have one pre-installed. If you have a bracket that looks like what Army linked to...then you can buy that unit without the mounting stuff and it should just plug in. If it's preinstalled for another brand, then you need to go with that. If your trailer says preinstalled, but it only means the wires were run...then you can do what you want.
I connected mine to the center observation light...directly below the light by 3 inches and cut the wires from the light and soldered both the camera and the light power to the factory light wires that I found under the light fixture. Easy install. You have a toy hauler, so your installation may be different. But the idea here is get a good wireless unit, tie it into the trailer lights power, turn on your parking lights for camera power and enjoy!
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:49 PM   #14

Florida
My 2018 3655 Voltage is prewired for this Furrion Camera..

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Camera/Furrion/FOS43TASF.html

Tdvbaja is offline   Reply With Quote