Another fifth wheel clearance issue - Dutchmen Owners
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2020, 12:56 AM   #1

Washington
Another fifth wheel clearance issue

I have the Denali 244RLX. The rear landing jacks sometimes will hit the ground when entering/exiting a driveway. It seems like the landing jacks are too long or are installed so they extend too low. I had them full raised when they hit. I thought about adding steel skid wheels to the rear bumper but I was told by the welding shop that they wouldn't solve the problem as they would not come down far enough to avoid hitting the landing jacks. If I were to draw a line from the bottom of the rear tire to where the skid wheels would be installed, the rear landing jacks would still hit pavement. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions how to resolve this? Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Denali landing jacks.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	6536  

Shulkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:52 AM   #2

California
Another fifth wheel clearance issue

I feel your pain. I have a 40 toy hauler fifth wheel and I tow it with a 4WD Ram. The 4WD Rams evidently sit about 2 inches higher than the 2 wheel drives. So raise the front of the trailer by two inches and the back drops in the opposite direction. Combine that with the fact that i believe the loading door/ramp is probably lower to begin with and you have problems.

I did a few things. First I have the fifth wheel hitch as low as possible in the truck bed but obviously making sure the trailer has adequate clearance over the bed rails. Big potential damage while turning while entering driveways if not. Second I have the king pin up as high as possible in the bracket that is on the trailer. Those were the easy ones. The next thing I did is actually replace the leaf springs in the trailer with 7 leaf springs that are not only stronger but also have a greater arch so that holds the trailer up higher. That is relatively expensive but the leafs on these Voltage trailers are a known issue on the two axle trailers like mine. That change also improved my towing stability.

You also might be able to flip the axles but that can raise your trailer quite a bit and cause the trailer steps to be really high so you might need a little step stool when camping to be the first step.

Also, what about removing and relocating your stabilizers further forward? Is that possible? And if all else fails you could just remove them and just go with stabilizers that are not attached that you just crank up and put in place or even a couple of bottle jacks that your place on some 2x4s and just jack up when you camp.

No great ideas here but maybe something works. Good luck.

dsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Wonder how a 2x4 or 4x4 placed at the curb would work. Wheels go over the wood, ass end goes up.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:41 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Wonder how a 2x4 or 4x4 placed at the curb would work. Wheels go over the wood, ass end goes up.

I have done similar by stacking several 2x8s long ways and then moving them as I back up but you would be surprised how long a distance you need to cover. In one spot we had to do this for over 10. That was a lot of moving and stacking lumber to get in and then the reverse to get out. And if the ground is not relatively evenly sloped the wood can sag and then break.
dsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:30 PM   #5

Washington
Good food for thought!

Thank you both for your ideas! I especially like the idea of replacing the springs although I have no idea how much that may cost. But it's a direction that I can now investigate based on your experience. Thanks again!
Old 11-11-2020, 09:58 PM   #6

Florida
Depending on what tires you have you might also be able to go to a taller tire with a stronger sidewall not sure how much clearance you need
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:42 AM   #7

Washington
Taller tires

We have 15" tires on it now. I can talk to my mechanic and ask him for his thoughts on that. Thanks for the idea!
Old 11-18-2020, 10:36 PM   #8

Colorado
5th Wheel rearend drag

E-trailer sells a kit to lift your springs 2" higher off the axle to gain a more level tow. I am going to do this to my 2014 Cougar 5th wheel to gain level and no more tail drag. I tow with a GMC 2500 4wd and its higher than my previous truck.
Mike
MikeJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:34 PM   #9

Colorado
taller tires

On my Triton 2951 I went with 2" taller tires (gave away the China bombs to a friend with a much lighter trailer). Also went up from load range e to g for the better sidewalls. Also went with new 16" wheels. I had plenty of clearance under the trailer, and the distance between the front and rear tires decreased to 3" or so, which is plenty.
leisuresolar@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:30 AM   #10

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJW View Post
E-trailer sells a kit to lift your springs 2" higher off the axle to gain a more level tow. I am going to do this to my 2014 Cougar 5th wheel to gain level and no more tail drag. I tow with a GMC 2500 4wd and its higher than my previous truck.
Mike
That seems like a great idea. I'll look on their website. Do you remember what the name was so that I can search for it?
Old 11-19-2020, 12:33 AM   #11

Washington
That's also a great idea. I was planning to replace the tires in the spring anyhow.

« 5th wheel | - »