adjusting pin box heigth - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #1

Ontario
adjusting pin box heigth

Hey Guys,

Have towed this way for the year I've had the fifth, but it's time to make the needed adjustments. My Reese hitch is a 20K in the bed is already at it's lowest level but the front of my fifth still rides high when hooked to the truck. Never towed real far this way but the time has come to raise the king pin box height, it's currently at the lowest holes. Making the adjustment seems pretty easy all I have to do is remove the king pin box mounting bolts raise the box a hole or two and reinsert the bolts.

Questions:
1- how heavy is the pin box once the bolts are removed? Is this something two guys can do? one hold the box in line with the holes and the other reinserts the bolts? or do you need more people?
2- What is the torque for the bolts?
3- I have read all over the net about torques but it seems to be manufacturer specific. How do I tell what make and model my pin box is? I don't see any markings on the pin box.
4- Is there a way to measure for proper height? instead of trial and error till you get it right?

Thanks for the help.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #2

I had my pin box raised by CW who did the original hitch install on my truck.. Since they installed it I felt they needed to lower the front and make it right.. They called me and stated they could not get it higher as it would not go up any more although there were holes for the adjustment. They finally ended up grinding off the corners a little and raising it with a forklift. They bitched and complained but finally got it higher into the frame..it took them several hours and several guys to get it done.

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:38 PM   #3

Texas
I tried to raise mine. I intended on loosening the bolts, hooking back up to the hitch and using a jack in the bed of the truck to support the pin box. Once the bolts were removed I planned on raising or lowering the trailer on the from legs to line up the holes.

This plan never happened because I couldn't get the bolts to move one bit. In looking at the box, it appeared the nuts on the inside would be near impossible to get to as well. I bailed on that project.
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:50 AM   #4

Ohio
I have had my pin box off on my voltage 3200 it's not is heavy as it looks two of us did without a problem. The pita was getting to the bolts up in the wedge of the pin box. Once all the bolts were out we just rocked off it off it did not just fall out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
protector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #5

Pennsylvania
I used an extension work bench that I made for the table saw and some wood cribbing on top of that. Blocked everything up, removed the bolts and no big deal. It was manageable by myself this way.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:16 AM   #6

British Columbia
Interesting discussion on pin box adjustments. I am considering making adjustments to my Denali 626RLX.
Currently it rides about 2" higher at front than at the wheels (3" if you compare front to rear). I have about 7" bed rail clearance (GMC 3500 Std short box). There no downward adjustment on the hitch.
But, I am thinking, that if I raise the pin box to the next set of holes (2.5") ( to lower the front), then raise the hitch up by 1", this would give a nex lowering effect of 1.5". I would still be 0.5" bow high, which is almost level. But I would only have 5.5" bed rail clearance.
So is it worth doing? Is 5.5" too tight for bed rails? Is 2" out of level not worth bothering about?
I can do this with a helper. I have the tools etc. Just wondering if it is worth it.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Gary
Old 05-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #7

Ontario
So I finally made the adjustment, raised the King Pin box to the top set of holes. My 262 RLX rides much better now, almost perfectly level front to rear when hooked up to the TV. It could be done by one person, the pin box was a lot lighter than I thought it would be. but had two people on hand and it was easier, this way one handles the box while the other takes out and replaces the bolts as needed.

Here is the list of torques for installing the Lippert 1716 pin box by bolt size:

1/2 inch bolt minimum of 110 foot pounds

5/8 inch bolt minimum of 160 foot pounds

3/4 inch bolt minimum of 210 foot pounds.

Easy to do and spreads the weight better over both axles instead of more weight on the rear axle.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote