30# LP tanks in a 99 classic 30RL - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #1

Washington
30# LP tanks in a 99 classic 30RL

Will I need to remove these and take to refilling station? We're going to be living in this RV for 8 months or so while our house is built, maybe I should consider getting a 100 gallon bottle to stand outside the RV. The first two months will be in an RV park with full hookups, the last six months on the acreage where the house will be built -- is it likely a propane company would come around and fill them onboard in the park?

Burnhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #2

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnhaven View Post
Will I need to remove these and take to refilling station? We're going to be living in this RV for 8 months or so while our house is built, maybe I should consider getting a 100 gallon bottle to stand outside the RV. The first two months will be in an RV park with full hookups, the last six months on the acreage where the house will be built -- is it likely a propane company would come around and fill them onboard in the park?
You could pick up one or two spare bottles the and switch them out when they get low. That bottle size is an easy exchange at a lot of retail locations. Grocery, hardware, gas stations etc. Or just refill at your local propane dealer.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #3

Washington
thanks. I believe these are about 25 pounds empty and 55 pounds full. I should be able to handle that.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #4

Arizona
Quote:
thanks. I believe these are about 25 pounds empty and 55 pounds full. I should be able to handle that.
I may have have misinformed you. I can't exactly tell what size the bottles are. If they are the seven gallon then the are exchangeable at the local RV Bottle swap stations then your good. If not you will need to go to the propane supply. Also, if those bottles are the original that came in the trailer they may still have the old style valve in them A propane supply will do the change over. It's not very expensive.

Problem I see with the large bottle is getting it filled. It is a little hassle to toke it over to the supplier and will you have a use for it when you finish your house. If you have a future use for it then it's maybe not a big deal.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Those bottles have the ACME fitting on them so no valve changing is needed. Those are 30 lb bottles that normally take 6.? gallons when empty.
A hundred lb tank will weigh around 160 lbs when full. Some refill places either weigh the tanks or fill by gallons. If by gallons you can leave the tank in the truck while filling so you can save yourself some handling when it's full.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #6

Arkansas
Quote:
Your bottles look like mine. I think they are 7 gallon/30 pounds. The smaller size is 3-4.4 gallon/15 pound. The 15 pound size you can exchange around most places I've been. The 30 pound size you can not exchange, (at least where I have been). You have to take them to a place that fills LP Gas tanks. I find all kind of places to fill them like some Ace Hardware stores, some Valero Gas stations, Flying J Truck stops, etc. They will also fill the small 15 pound size. You can exchange the small tanks at most Wal-Marts. The small size is also referred to as the Barbecue grill size. The smaller tanks will actually hold 20 pounds but the exchange places will normally only put 15 pounds in them. Interesting information about LP Gas.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Tractor Supply will only fill them to 6.2 or 6.3 gallons. There's room for 7 gallons but the CYA thing prevents them from pumping more into them.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:23 AM   #8

Washington
I read about the Extend-a-stay fitting

In the RV park where we'll be staying for the first couple of months, I see several people who have the larger 75-100 gallon cylinders sitting outside their rigs. I presume the propane company trucks just come in and top those off, so no need to haul your own tanks out of the trailer and drive them somewhere.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:49 AM   #9

Arizona
The question you have to ask yourself is "am I going to use this tank after I am finished living in my trailer when my house is being built". If so then I would but the tank. If not I would buy a couple of tanks the size that fit in my trailer and just get them filled when necessary. Unless the drive to fill is an unreasonable distance.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #10

Washington
I'd be renting the larger tank. You can rent a 120-gallon tank that sits on concrete pads outside your rig for about $50 per year. Tanks
You need some sort of fitting like an extend-a-stay but I'm hoping the propane company can advise on that Camco 59113 LP Brass Tee with 4 port : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 03-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #11

Alberta
some larger propane dealers will rent you a tank and you buy the adaptor hose we lived in our 5th all last winter in northern canada with temps as low as minus 60 the propane guys would come buy and fill the tank then when your done they pick it back up
steve and Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #12

Washington
Minus 60 ! Well doesn't matter if that was Celsius or Fahrenheit, crazy cold. What did you have to do to your Fifth to keep things working?
Old 03-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #13

Alberta
lot of work the unit has an arctic package which means its insulated with a belly tarp and hot air duct to the holding tank.We then bult skirting all the way aront and insulated with r40 before sheeting it in, flood lights under the trailer on the ground ,the slides were sheeted in with styrofoam sm and the whole whole unit was wrapped in that silver foil insulation from ground up about 8 feet. bought a special heated water hose and hard piped the sewer in

steve and Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote