2022 Dutchmen Yukon 399ML Diary - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2023, 09:05 PM   #1

Ontario
2022 Dutchmen Yukon 399ML Diary

7 Jun: Purchased our first Dutchmen, trading in our 2021 Montana. The 'Monty' floorplan just didn't work for us although we had had zero problems with the trailer itself. That made us a bit nervous, but with spending up to 5 months while snowbirding in Florida we needed something comfortable for us. We spend a lot of time this year looking, walking thru, more walking thru. Wanted some room separation but not at the cost of the kitchen...who thought it would be such a difficult ask. Well, we finally found the layout that worked for us while getting a somewhat reasonable price for our trade in. Finally bit the bullet and said 'YES'.

Jethrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 09:10 PM   #2

Ontario
7 Jun Evening:
Completed the walkthru, had a few small items sorted out but have to wait (likely a month or two) for 2x new decals that need replacing as well as a basement door that needs replacing.

Got it home after a 1 1/2 hour drive, slides out, and some discussions on confirmation of some of the mods required. Mostly just some additional shelves in cabinets and some light switches. And then, while walking around outside something catches my eye. Why is there only 1 cable instead of 2 on the side of that slide?? Yep, that cable is snapped right off and must have snapped when the slides were brought in earlier as we closed it up to bring home. Sigh, here we go.

Old 06-10-2023, 01:34 AM   #3

Arizona
Cable broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethrone View Post
7 Jun Evening:
Completed the walkthru, had a few small items sorted out but have to wait (likely a month or two) for 2x new decals that need replacing as well as a basement door that needs replacing.

Got it home after a 1 1/2 hour drive, slides out, and some discussions on confirmation of some of the mods required. Mostly just some additional shelves in cabinets and some light switches. And then, while walking around outside something catches my eye. Why is there only 1 cable instead of 2 on the side of that slide?? Yep, that cable is snapped right off and must have snapped when the slides were brought in earlier as we closed it up to bring home. Sigh, here we go.

We bought our denali 5th wheel in 2017 and had similar issue within 60 days.
Kreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 12:55 PM   #4

Ontario
14 Jun: Trailer was returned home the following day with the cable replacement complete. Now the mods commence.

First up: Kitchen drawer boxes rebuilt for an additional 3 1/2" in length to accommodate cutlery organizers and various kitchen tools. Luckily there appears to be no need to change the frame for the slides as there is already about 5" in space to the frame holding the drawer slides.

Second: Replace hinges on cupboard over kitchen sink to allow for the one door to open 170degrees so that you don't have to sit on the sink in order to reach around the cupboard door to access the cupboard.

Third: add shelving under kitchen and bathroom sinks and to the cupboard to the right of the stove.

Still to do: install Bauer Bluetooth/keypad door latch, install Hughes Power Watchdog Surge protector, install motion switch and strip lights in pantry and coat closet, install water 3-step filter system by Max Water, install MORyde Easy Reel for 50' 50amp cable. Also want to separate some of the lights and put on individual switches, sort basement storage, etc, etc. Seems the list just gets longer.
Old 07-02-2023, 03:16 PM   #5

Ontario
30 June:

Have made a bit of headway but it's slow-going. Heat and humidity along with smoke from the forest fires up north are taking a beating on me.

Completed the install of Hughes 50 am Hardwired Power Watchdog. Ended up mounting behind the circuit breakers. I was hoping to mount in a location that I would be able to also see the error screen from the basement, but that would have put it directly behind the water heater...not a good idea when there is a leak. Easy install otherwise although not a lot of room to work when securing it to the framing.
In the process of preparing for the install, I disconnected the battery and took this time for the first hard look at the battery in the battery box. I have been trying to sort out the electrical system as I discovered that the 12v switch does not actually disconnect all of the 12v used in the trailer. OK, haven't taken the (who knows how long) to actually figure out what it does disconnect because to date I have not found anything it disconnects. Anyway, turns out one of the cells in the battery (year 04/23) was bone-dry! Add that to the list for replacement when the trailer goes in for some other repairs found during the initial walk-thru.

Completed the over-sink glass pendant-light shade replacement. I did end up breaking one of the old ones when my wrench slipped. Seems they started using thread lock, but otherwise went well.

Today I'll finish the half-shelf above the fridge as well as changing the bedroom clothes hamper-think-a-majiggy into an opening cabinet door with shelf.

After that it's into the basement and installing Fusion rear camera (factory prepped) with side marker/cameras (not factory prepped).

Still much to do, but very happy overall. Pics to follow...
Old 07-07-2023, 05:26 PM   #6

Florida
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 02:04 PM   #7

Ontario
Here is the latest update, two weeks before our first practise run.

So to date I have completed:
- Turned bedroom clothes hamper into standard opening cabinet with shelf
- Replaced bed plywood platform with larger plywood to support complete mattress
- Installed Xantrex remote control for inverter
- Installed motion strip-lighting in both kitchen and bathroom pantry
- Placed the original pantry motion light into the coat closet at the door
- Installed Lippert toilet
- Replaced Fusion camera system with Haloview camera system that actually works

During the last (second) visit back at the dealership for warranty work they:
- replaced two decals that were pealing
- tightened cables from passenger slide
- Corrected the screen door stop that was screwed in too far and didn't 'stop'
- Corrected the 12v wiring to the power switch in the battery compartment
- Replaced the bed rear gas lift
- Corrected the unsupported bedroom TV mount so that more than just 1/4" board is holding the TV
- Still waiting for replacement basement door
...and then they pointed out something they found. Seems that the outside back wall has some buckling. So, the ENTIRE back wall of the trailer needs replacing! Sigh.
And when it goes, they will need to look at the fan in the shower area. We had it and the toilet fan replaced upon purchase with max fan so that air actually moved. It seems that it will now operate only on low, and any other setting stops after 2-3 seconds.

The good news is we still enjoy the layout so much better than our Montana.
I have to correct the format, so pics will follow.
Old 10-24-2023, 02:29 PM   #8

Texas
New 399ML Owner

I'm really looking forward to seeing the upgrades you made to your Rv. I'm new to RV ownership and want to address similar things. Cheers!

Hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote