2022 3173RLP Shower into Black Tank? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2023, 12:53 PM   #1

Texas
2022 3173RLP Shower into Black Tank?

We did a walk through yesterday and the man seemed to know less about this RV that I did but I thought I understood him to say the shower and bathroom sinks drained into the black tank. I sure hope he is wrong because the black tank is 39 gallons and the gray is 78. It would make no sense at all to have the kitchen sink only holding 78 gallons. Any ideas? I guess we will get it to our residence and run some water through it to know for sure if someone here doesn't have an answer.

Thanks in advance!

Sticki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:47 PM   #2

California
He is likely wrong unless your RV made a stupid change. Typically the only thing that drains to the black tank is the toilet. I have never heard otherwise.

I can’t say for sure how the set up is on your rig but I would be shocked if any sink drained to your black tank.

Old 01-28-2023, 03:52 PM   #3

Texas
I sure hope you are right! I have heard of the bathroom sink being plumbed to the black tank and they justify it to say your black tank cleans better with more water in it. I’m rooting for the commode only to the black tank. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:10 PM   #4

Florida
thats stupid that every gray thing would drain into the black tank. Sadly, he must be mistaken. I can just imagine what kind of PM they did on your vehicle before they delivered it.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 05:12 PM   #5

Texas
We’ve owned several trailers/5th wheels so we know the general information but you are correct this young man was very interested in being done with us!!!!
Old 01-29-2023, 11:19 AM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticki View Post
We’ve owned several trailers/5th wheels so we know the general information but you are correct this young man was very interested in being done with us!!!!
We had discussions about the type of folks dealerships hire for “salespeople “. I think most of them have never owned an RV and certainly must be the first time they have ever even been in one. They are there to sell and not to explain how things work. Even some of their service people don’t have a clue.

Let us know your findings

Frank
Old 01-29-2023, 12:34 PM   #7

Texas
We talked to two other people in the shop and they assured me the only thing plumbed to the black tank is the commode. So we have 2 who say "yes" to black has commode only and one who says otherwise. Before we spend the night in it and use the black or gray water I will pour a bucket of water down the bathroom shower drain and the bathroom sink with the gray valve open and the black valve shut and hope the water runs through!!!
Old 02-01-2023, 10:01 PM   #8

Oregon
Quote:
We did a walk through yesterday and the man seemed to know less about this RV that I did but I thought I understood him to say the shower and bathroom sinks drained into the black tank. I sure hope he is wrong because the black tank is 39 gallons and the gray is 78. It would make no sense at all to have the kitchen sink only holding 78 gallons. Any ideas? I guess we will get it to our residence and run some water through it to know for sure if someone here doesn't have an answer.

Thanks in advance!
On my 2017 252RLSL, both the bathroom sink and the toilet dump into the black tank.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:38 PM   #9

Michigan
black tank

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
He may be right on part of it, I had a 2008 Dutchman 35 foot that had 2 grey tanks and one black water tank. The bathroom sink drain was plumbed into the blackwater tank. I called the factory and they said it was perfectly acceptable from the factories point of view, it was easier to plumb the sink to the black water tank than the grey. they used the black tank vent for the bathroom sink drain.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:12 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by capeharj View Post
He may be right on part of it, I had a 2008 Dutchman 35 foot that had 2 grey tanks and one black water tank. The bathroom sink drain was plumbed into the blackwater tank. I called the factory and they said it was perfectly acceptable from the factories point of view, it was easier to plumb the sink to the black water tank than the grey. they used the black tank vent for the bathroom sink drain.

Seems like that tank would fill up much faster and require being emptied much more often.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:31 PM   #11

Texas
We are 2-3 weeks from our first trip. While the black tank is still a virgin I will pour some water down the, shower, bathroom sink and kitchen sink and check which tanks are used from
Each source.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:31 AM   #12

Texas
We spent a couple of nights in our Astoria 3173RLP last week. I'm glad to report both sinks in the bathroom, the shower and the kitchen sink all flow into the gray tank and the commode is the only device emptying into the black tank. My current wife was on the phone with me and she would turn on a water source in the RV and I would see if it was flowing through with the gray valves open so I was able to isolate which tank was receiving the waste water.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:18 PM   #13

Florida
Do you have more than one wife?
Old 02-28-2023, 06:09 PM   #14

Texas
I've had this wife for 48 years if we make it to May 29th!!!! My former law partner was married three times and he coined the phrase "current wife". He also accumulated his years of marriage adding all three of them to quietly celebrate a 50th anniversary. LOL! There's also a joke I've heard before where a man claims, on his 50th anniversary, that he was happily married for 46 years and 4 years were like H3LL.