Wondering? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2021, 10:08 PM   #1

Kentucky
Wondering?

Good afternoon. I just purchased an aspen lite 1950 BH that I pick up tomorrow. After reading reviews and a few posts on here I’m now concerned it may have been a mistake. Are there generally a lot of problems with these campers or is it “squeaky wheel” stuff? I’m not saying complaints aren’t legit but the volume of them versus “yay, love my camper” is troublesome.

RedonkukousD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:49 PM   #2

Wyoming
As quality control isn’t a big priority with the guys who make these things, you can expect some initial issues that you’ll probably have to address here & there.

That said, it’s a rare day when anyone jumps on a forum like this to simply post... “Wow, what a great day, and I love how flawless my RV has been working.”

In general, people only post here when they require help or suggestions for an issue they’re facing. So relax & enjoy your rig.

One BIG suggestion though... make sure you do a THOROUGH pre-delivery inspection (PDI) BEFORE you sign the paperwork. Do a COMPLETE walkthrough... ensure that ALL appliances & electronics work... have them demonstrate that ALL electrical, plumbing, and environmental systems are working. If not, ensure they repair them BEFORE you sign the paperwork. Because once you sign, all problems are YOUR problems. If they refuse, then don’t be afraid to WALK AWAY.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:46 PM   #3

California
I have not had any trouble with my Aspen Trail. We did a complete walk through when picked it up. Bear in mind as mentioned most TT are built quickly etc. I am very handy and made numerous updates to the suspension, added stuff on the inside to meet our needs. Etrailer is a very good source for updates and they have lots of feedback and videos. An example I changed all the spring mounting bolts to wet bolts etc.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:39 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Good advice above.

Buying a low end travel trailer that may be literally built on the run is like Las Vagus gambling. You never know what you are going to get. Be prepared for a great time, but try to control the stress that can result if things don't turn out as expected.

You have committed to a trailer. The dealer will probably not let you back out, but you should not sign any more documents until a careful inspection demonstrates everything is working properly. Transfer of money especially should be controlled.

Plan to test things again when you get it home before a long trip. Sometimes information overload sets in and you have to re-discover what the dealer already told you. Fixing things becomes a way of life just like owning a home. Warranty claims can take weeks or months.

Most likely everything will turn out fine.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:30 PM   #5

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedonkukousD View Post
Good afternoon. I just purchased an aspen lite 1950 BH that I pick up tomorrow...
Ok so... inquiring minds wanna know: how’d it go?
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 03-14-2021, 05:47 PM   #6

Washington
New Trailer Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Lets be clear: Keystone builds a ton of units priced for the entry level market which means Keystone is focused on price not quality. We purchased a new 2020 Keystone/Dutchmen Kodiak and I've spent a couple thousand dollars and countless hours fixing things mainly due to poor workmanship and just creazy design. Most having to do with wiring which was just thrown in without regard to organization. You can find Keystones "wire color standard" on the internet, look for "12Vdc_wire_coding.pdf" it will come in handy if you have to diagnose an electrical problem. Also, if the dealer does not point it out there will be a water tub under the sink or somewhere near there that is used to add antifreeze; make sure the valve is in the off position or you will pump water all over the trailer floor; our dealer did not point that out. Also, check where the drain valve for the fresh water tank is; ours was in the center underneath which means I would have had to crawl underneath the trailer to drain the tank and get very wet; I redesigned mine by adding a little plumbing to bring the valve to the side of the trailer by the hot/cold valves.

Also, know that the el-cheapo battery the dealer will install will not do much more than power the lights and detectors (propane and CO) so you may want to upgrade the battery. I installed three 100ah deep cycle RV batteries in the front storage bay along with an AIMs 2000 watt inverter to power the microwave, coffee pot, toaster and my CPAP. Only 120Vac I cannot power with this setup is the A/C unit, I can use the fan portion just not cooling.

Going all out I am currently installing three REC 330 watt split cell solar panels as we almost exclusively dry camp rather than pay the ever increasing cost of full hookup campgrounds, much more freedom of where to go.

Now, get out there and enjoy this great country! There is so much to see and do that a trailer life offers. Just have fun!!!
Logging the miles in the USA. Adventure awaits around every corner.
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:29 AM   #7

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Well we did a complete walkthrough and the only thing that I noticed was the hot water heater pop leaked a little. A gentle tap with a hammer sealed it off. It will be a few weeks before I get to take it on it’s maiden voyage because my truck is a baby F150, lol. It’s a 4.2 w/o tow package so I’m working with etrailer to get all the stuff I need for a tow controller (plug and play....I don’t want any surprises &#128514. It’s been years since I’ve owned a camper and I’m having trouble not worrying about what will be the first thing to break🙄.
Thanks for all the replies. All my low point water drains are at the edge of the camper so that’s nice. One additional question I have right now is, do I need to unscrew the plug for my hot water heater after every camping trip? The dealer told me to because the low point drain wouldn’t empty it. Thoughts?
Old 03-15-2021, 12:47 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
The only time I drain my lines..( low point plug removal) is for winter prep. Our trailer is only used during fair weather ( spring-summer-fall). Water heater and lines stay full once I open for the season.
We do not carry water on the highway... other than a few gallons. And open drain on fresh tank before departure..... last thing I do after sewer dump.
T-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:23 AM   #9

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-town View Post
The only time I drain my lines..( low point plug removal) is for winter prep. Our trailer is only used during fair weather ( spring-summer-fall). Water heater and lines stay full once I open for the season.
We do not carry water on the highway... other than a few gallons. And open drain on fresh tank before departure..... last thing I do after sewer dump.
This is kinda what I thought. The dealer told me the water would stagnate and start to smell in the hot water heater if I didn’t drain it every time. This sounded odd to me.
Old 03-15-2021, 03:07 AM   #10

Wyoming
Yeah, I agree with T-Town... no need to drain after every trip, but I do drain mine twice a year. I stay in many places that have hard water, so every 6 months or so keeps me good.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 03-15-2021, 11:32 AM   #11

Pennsylvania
I know there are two types ( makes) of water heaters. One with a sacrificial anode and one without. I think it has to do with the tank metal..... mine does not have the anode.
That might make a difference.
T-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:58 PM   #12

Wisconsin
I agree. I drain for long term storage or winterizing. A manual for a heater with an anode that I read recommended draining for storage longer than two weeks. The anode works a little like a battery. It produces hydrogen which can react with minerals and things in the water.

Check your water heater manual to see if it has an anode or remove the plug and look for a 6 to 8 inch long anode attached to the plug.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #13

Montana
I only drain my water heater if it is going to be several weeks since last used. Same with whatever is left in the fresh water tank. I have only ever filled up water at home, but I never leave for a trip without a full fresh water supply. And for me at least, the low point drain will drain my water heater tank as well if I pop open the pressure release valve to allow air in. I think I could also open a hot water tap inside the camper for the same affect. I believe others have check valves in their water lines that prevent this backward flow, but mine apparently does not. I find it convenient to drain this way, plus I have it in mind in case of emergency if we were to run out of fresh water while camping. The low point drain would be a convenient access to 6 more gallons of fresh water.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:44 PM   #14

Kentucky
Name of white sealant used on corners and around vents

As the title suggests, what is the name of the sealant used in the roof of the Aspen lites? I’m sure it universal but just want to make sure. I noticed on my roof antenna they actually “caulked” a loose screw to the roof on the edge of their caulking. It lays sideways and I can’t tell if it’s totally sealed around it so I was just going to completely cover it with sealant and not try to dig the screw out first. Thoughts?
Old 03-16-2021, 12:58 PM   #15

Florida
It's called DICOR and you can get it online or through your local RV retailer. it's expensive-just sayin'.

You can go to www.DICORPRODUCTS.COM and they have lots of instructional videos on how to apply the stuff-click on the RUDY guy.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:31 PM   #16

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
It's called DICOR and you can get it online or through your local RV retailer. it's expensive-just sayin'.

You can go to www.DICORPRODUCTS.COM and they have lots of instructional videos on how to apply the stuff-click on the RUDY guy.
Thanks!