Winterizing Notes - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #1

Idaho
Winterizing Notes

Hi All,
I just winterized my trailer and had a few thoughts I would pass along.
1. I blew out the lines from the city water port and worked well. What I found though was I hooked a hose to my drain plug on the water heater and got even more water out. I had drained the water heat prior and re-inserted the drain plug so thought the air would force it all out.
2. While you are blowing out your system, if you have a spray port you should connect your hose and sprayer to the port and get the water out of there.
3. Also, you might want to connect to your Santi-flush or Hydro flush and just blow that out as well.
4. Don't forget to flush your toilet to let the air blow out the lines to it. My uncle didn't do that last year and his valve cracked, which leaked on his first trip and he couldn't use his water because the pressure pump caused it to leak.

Have a good day!

Rick

RickNTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:28 AM   #2

Maryland
Thank you very much for the tips. Our first year with a trailer with an external spray port, I forgot to blow out that line and paid the price later... the line cracked.

Another item to do is remove the shower hose and head.

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:32 PM   #3

Montana
Items 2-4 are a must, not a might. Add to that list your indoor and/or outdoor shower hoses.

Item 1 is because the outlet to the water tank is at the top. You'll never be able to push much water out at all using air. Most simply drain the water tank and then bypass it. There will be a small amount of water left in the hot water tank because the drain hole is not at the very bottom, although it is close enough. That little bit of water can freeze all it wants and won't cause any problems because there is plenty of room to accommodate expansion.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:39 AM   #4

Illinois
Dont forget to pour at least a pint of RV antifeeze down each drain and the toilet. If you have low point drains, don't forget to open those too when you blow it out or there will be water in them that will freeze.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #5

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Dont forget to pour at least a pint of RV antifeeze down each drain and the toilet. If you have low point drains, don't forget to open those too when you blow it out or there will be water in them that will freeze.
I dump a cup or two of anti freeze down each sink drain and the toilet as well but have never really bought into a reason for the toilet, as long as your black tank is drained the anti freeze is not needed, and if you black tank isn't drained a cup or two isn't going to do anything anyway. You do need to flush the line leading to the toilet with anti freeze but dumping it down the toilet is just a waste IMO. even the sinks is questionable as I believe enough antifreeze gets down the drain while your flushing the lines, but in that case I go with you can never use to much or be to safe.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #6

Illinois
Not dumped through the toilet, but about an inch left to keep the seals from freezing. You do want to make sure there is at least a quart or more in the waste tanks so that the waste gates are protected from freezing. I ran 2 1/2 gallons through my system before I was done, so I feel confident there is enough dilution of left over water that the system is protected from freezing.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #7

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogers View Post
I dump a cup or two of anti freeze down each sink drain and the toilet as well but have never really bought into a reason for the toilet, as long as your black tank is drained the anti freeze is not needed, and if you black tank isn't drained a cup or two isn't going to do anything anyway. You do need to flush the line leading to the toilet with anti freeze but dumping it down the toilet is just a waste IMO. even the sinks is questionable as I believe enough antifreeze gets down the drain while your flushing the lines, but in that case I go with you can never use to much or be to safe.
Not everyone runs anti freeze through the plumbing. If you only do an air blow out, then adding some antifreeze to the ptraps becomes necessary.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #8

Texas
Makes sense to me.

The word anti-freeze is literally ANTI-freezing.
And it is liquid (water) that we are against freezing.
(Seems that water going from the state of liquid to the state of solid is a mighty powerful force. Destructive, in this case)

So, if there is no liquid present that can freeze, you wouldn't have anything to anti-freeze.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:22 PM   #9

Tennessee
[QUOTE=RickNTee;46476]Hi All,

1. I blew out the lines from the city water port and worked well. What I found though was I hooked a hose to my drain plug on the water heater and got even more water out. I had drained the water heat prior and re-inserted the drain plug so thought the air would force it all out.

2. While you are blowing out your system, if you have a spray port you should connect your hose and sprayer to the port and get the water out of there.

3. Also, you might want to connect to your Santi-flush or Hydro flush and just blow that out as well.

4. Don't forget to flush your toilet to let the air blow out the lines to it. My uncle didn't do that last year and his valve cracked, which leaked on his first trip and he couldn't use his water because the pressure pump caused it to leak.

Have a good day!

Rick[/QUOTE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #10

Tennessee
[QUOTE=Stan the man;48359]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNTee View Post
Hi All,

Have a good day!

Rick[/QUOTE

Thanks, All good advice

Stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote