Wet Carpet - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #1

Wet Carpet

Hello.
Is anyone having any issues with water getting in past the bottom seal of the slide while traveling in the rain?
We have had soaked carpet from the dinette back a couple times now.
Not happy
New 2012 261BH

TheWeltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #2

Washington
Re: Wet Carpet

That should NOT be happening at all. None of the three trailers I've had ever had the slides leak like that, whether in or out.....sounds like a service/warranty issue to me, and the sooner the better!

Glenn and Cheryle- loving retirement
Spokane, Washington
2012 Denali 289RK
2012 F150 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow
Denali2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #3

Our 2012 Denali has been very weather tight. We had one leak from a bad riser, but the seals and joints have been stout as we have been out in some very heavy rains.
Denakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
Community Founder

Take lots of clear photos and document everything(dates & times).
Contact your dealer by Email, so you'll have a copy of any conversation that occurs. If your dealer can't help, or you're not satisfied with their actions, contact Dutchmen Mfg.
eRVm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:20 AM   #5

thanks for the replies. We have had no issues while camped, only while traveling on wet highways. I have lots of good photos and currently the trailer is in at the dealer, I am trying to be civil about it at this time to see what they will come up with. Hope it can be resolved.
I assume your trailers have the same type slides as mine, and cant see why this is happening. It was my biggest reservation about buying an rv with a slide.
Not sure why the Mfg dosent have an inner fender of some type fitted to the slide side over the wheels.
Any more comments are welcome.....thanks again
Old 04-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #6

Texas

I have a Komfort 3650FFL and it has been through three bad rains on the hiway and none of the five slides leaked, nor did they leak while stopped with them open in the rain. Sounds like the seals are not doing their job.
aapcon131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #7

Here is an update on our wet carpet issue.
Dealer has since decided that the seal under the slide out was not adjusted properly from the factory and was the cause, they have adjusted it and its better but not fixed. We have requested a completely new seal and have left it to the dealer to make it happen.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
VIP Member

We had the same problem, one time. I found a small void in the seal of the bump out going from the horizontal on the bottom to the vertical seal on the front edge. I filled the gap in the rubber seal with polysulfide caulking that I allowed to dry for a week while we were camping before closing the bump out, again. I think I got it, but don't feel it has been really tested. As far as the flashlight test, it passed.
2010 Dutchmen Lite 25C-GS[/left:3djbo713]
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeltons
Hello.
Is anyone having any issues with water getting in past the bottom seal of the slide while traveling in the rain?
We have had soaked carpet from the dinette back a couple times now.
Not happy
New 2012 261BH
We bought a new 265bhs and have had water in the front corner of the slide,some of the caulking on the outside is pretty crappy. I will seal the cracks and see if it helps. Who is your service dealer?
The closest one to us is in Kelowna ,we are in the Kootenays.The carpet has been wet under the sofa also.
We just got it 3 wks ago and haven't even used it once.
Not impressed with it at all should have bought that Jayco instead.
rb camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:18 AM   #10

Sorry to hear about your leak issue. We have had to deal with one as well and have only had this trailer since March. Our dealer is located in Port Coquitlam and 100Mile House. They have been easy to deal with so far and all my requests of the manufacturer have been met. Our issue has been resolved as far as we can tell at this point (fingers crossed). I know the frustration, new trailers should certainly not leak.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #11

British Columbia

We use the same dealer only the 100 Mile House location, they have been great to deal with. I've had no issues or complaints with any part of the purchase or warranty issues, not that there have been many warranty problems.

Daryl B.
grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #12

sorry for a late response, but yes, the caulking will shrink and pull away from the coach. Mine has done that in almost all locations. But since it is new, just make sure to have the dealer inspect all locations.
What we did was take the blue painters tape and mark all of the locations we saw defects.
In one case I had water coming into the coach an onto the counter top through the top of the outdoor speakers. It only did this when the slide was in because the awning was focusing the water to those locations. Upon my inspection I found both speakers, the upper fridge vent and top of the door were not sealed properly. I purchased the Black RTV from NAPA specifically for RV's for about 5-6.00 then sealed them my self. Our dealer is about 30 miles away so it really isn't easy to tow that far to fix a simple issue. I just make note of it and have them document it on thier end.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #13

Final conclusion for our leaky slide out was a faulty bottom sweep seal under the slide which apparently was installed incorrectly from the factory. The entire seal has been replaced and from a visual stand point it is already far better than before. Now we just have to pull through the rain and see if it has done the trick.
Dealership and Manufacturer have been good so far.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #14

Quebec

I had this problem on the dining/living room slide of my 2012 Infinity 3640RL. The weather seal on the bottom of the slide changed directions at each end and left an opening. I modified the seal by cuttting it so that there was no longer an opening. Also, I used Great Stuff to fill some gaps in the same area. So far, the problem seems to be licked.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #15

Michigan
We just bought a 2012 Denali 261BH two months ago. We've been camping twice and drove it home in the pouring rain. We got home and the inside carpet, wood, and floor was soaking wet just as you described. I am wondering if you've driven in the rain, since your dealers fix?
rspy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #16

Hello rspy79.
sorry to hear of this leak issue on another trailer. The sweep seal under the slide was replaced and has been good thus far. The replacement seal is different than the first one, get it changed if you can. This seal will fold over when the slide is retracted and actually be facing in the wrong direction to be of any help, you must watch it when you close the slide and ensure it faces out and meets up with the outside wall when closed. I periodically spray the seal with silicone and it seems to help a lot. Have you had any other issues with your TT, I would love to compare notes, we love the layout and overall feel, but are unhappy with some of the quality.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:27 AM   #17

Michigan
Unfortunately our dealer is not being as accommodating as yours apparently was. A large portion of the interior wood, cabinets, and wall framing was damaged due to the water coming up through the leaking seal. It's a long story but the dealer tells us the inside is meant to get wet (which we know it's not) and Dutchmen is telling us its repaired because that is what the dealer is telling Dutchmen. We have been forced to retain legal counsel to fight with both Dutchmen and the dealer. We haven't had our trailer since May 29, 2013, the day after this occurred. We haven't even camped once this summer. Needless to say we will never buy another Dutchmen product. We do very much like the layout of the RV however the manner in which we've been treated by Dutchmen and the dealer has been unacceptable to say the least. Folks buy a brand new travel trailer to avoid these types of issues. I would say as far as quality is concerned Dutchmen/Denali ranks vary poorly if this is how their units role off of the assembly line. Keep your fingers crossed that we don't get stuck with the stinky, water damaged trailer that our "new" Denali has become. If you are reading this thread and trying to decide if a Dutchmen brand is of quality I highly recommend that you look elsewhere!
rspy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #18

Pennsylvania
Hi just wondered if you have much luck fighting your leaks. We have a brand new dutchmen that leaks as well. paid too much money for them to say we will try to fix it and not guarentee repairs past teh one year warrenty

jlbrsmith is offline   Reply With Quote