Well we pick up ours 2016 Denali 287RE today - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #21

Ontario
Wow, that's a beauty of a rig. Congrats, you're going to love it I'm sure.

WoodlawnDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:55 AM   #22

Washington
Thank you WoodlawnDon, just can't wait to take it out camping.

Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:01 AM   #23

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
I know about them nightmares, I've been retired coming up on 13 years and I still get the odd dream about work. It's scarey until you wake and get your head clear.
Oh okay so I don't feel so bad now, just as long I know that it's a dream because I knew how it was before I left, very stressful so I don't want to do that again. Well sometime the ministry is like that but I don't mind that, so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Have you though about starting a RV group at your church? We have one at the church we go to. It's not lead by the pastor but by a retired Marine. We go out 3 or 4 times a year. Our big outing is to Quartzsite Az. in January. Have about 15 rigs that show up to that one each year. It's nice to go RVing with friends that have more in common that just a RV.

This is a good ideal, Lol, some of the folk I kind of what to get away from if you know what I mean.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:00 AM   #24

Washington
Okay guys and gals the wifee and I are out camping in ours new Denali and we love it. We are trying to conserve ours grey water tank but it's only 48 gallons tank, so my question is can I add a second grey water tank to my RV?

I have look into getting a 15 gallons portable tank but in the mean while do you know if I can add it to my Trailer, I have a second button for the gray water but it's not hook up to anything, thank you for your comments.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #25
Site Team

North Carolina
It might be possible. How your trailer is configured will determine how easy/hard it is. The control panel has the button, but that is because they were too cheap to make a control panel without it 48 gallons is a pretty decent amount. I have 52 on my current unit and the wife and and I can usually get 4-5 days before we have to worry about emptying it. Depending on where you are camping and the rules you might be able to empty the gray out on the ground. The portable tank is probably going to be your best bet. Maybe get one of the larger ones with wheels? Or camp in full hookup sites.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #26

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Okay guys and gals the wifee and I are out camping in ours new Denali and we love it. We are trying to conserve ours grey water tank but it's only 48 gallons tank, so my question is can I add a second grey water tank to my RV?

I have look into getting a 15 gallons portable tank but in the mean while do you know if I can add it to my Trailer, I have a second button for the gray water but it's not hook up to anything, thank you for your comments.
Big1,

You can extend your grey water capacity, by using some of the grey water you generate to flush the toilet. We keep a five gallon bucket in the corner of the bathroom to collect some of the grey water. We use a dishpan to wash the dishes and an icecream bucket in the bathroom sink to collect some of that water.

By the time we need to refill the fresh water both the black and grey are at about the same level. The side benefit is the extra water in the black tank hleps to get the solids moving.

Boondocking has a fairly steep learning curve, but it's a great way to learn how simple it is the conserve resources and the three R's. Helps to cutdown the clutter from all them single function things we collect and think are great labor savers. Funny how it starts to creep into
your everyday life, first question in evaluating a new purchase is "what else can we use that for."

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:10 PM   #27

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
It might be possible. How your trailer is configured will determine how easy/hard it is. The control panel has the button, but that is because they were too cheap to make a control panel without it 48 gallons is a pretty decent amount. I have 52 on my current unit and the wife and and I can usually get 4-5 days before we have to worry about emptying it. Depending on where you are camping and the rules you might be able to empty the gray out on the ground. The portable tank is probably going to be your best bet. Maybe get one of the larger ones with wheels? Or camp in full hookup sites.

Aaron

Quote:
Big1,

You can extend your grey water capacity, by using some of the grey water you generate to flush the toilet. We keep a five gallon bucket in the corner of the bathroom to collect some of the grey water. We use a dishpan to wash the dishes and an icecream bucket in the bathroom sink to collect some of that water.

By the time we need to refill the fresh water both the black and grey are at about the same level. The side benefit is the extra water in the black tank hleps to get the solids moving.

Boondocking has a fairly steep learning curve, but it's a great way to learn how simple it is the conserve resources and the three R's. Helps to cutdown the clutter from all them single function things we collect and think are great labor savers. Funny how it starts to creep into
your everyday life, first question in evaluating a new purchase is "what else can we use that for."

Thank you guys so much for your advice, the wife and I read it and thought it was very helpful.

So with these tips in mind, when I set my trailer up for the first time (newbie) the level is not quite leveler, will this effect the control panel? Next time I have to do a better job leveling my trailer, thank you again for your comments.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #28
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Thank you guys so much for your advice, the wife and I read it and thought it was very helpful.

So with these tips in mind, when I set my trailer up for the first time (newbie) the level is not quite leveler, will this effect the control panel? Next time I have to do a better job leveling my trailer, thank you again for your comments.
Having the trailer a bit off level isn't going to affect the control panel too much, it will depend on where the sensors are located (front, rear or side). Having the trailer level enough for the fridge to work is the critical item.

The stock sensors and panel are a very cheap and quite often ineffective method of actually determining how full the tanks really are. I plan to upgrade my entire sensor panel with either an iSeries or a See-Level system. Leaning towards the See-Level because I can have two different reading stations. The stock ones are notorious for not working and giving erroneous readings. You will learn over time when it is time to dump tanks... like when the grey tank backs up in the tub

Aaron
Old 09-11-2016, 10:40 PM   #29

British Columbia
Big1,

I meant to ask you about the 6.4L Hemi, just wondering how it measures up to Ram's original claims of better mileage, than the 5.7L Hemi in the 1500. How does the 4-link rear suspension handle the load?

I cried when I saw that first press release, I've loved the Hemi ever since I got my hands on a '50's something DeSoto with one of the first gen Hemi's. It was so cool lifting the hood and seeing that massive set of red rocker covers, with the gold colored "DeSoto Firedome Eight" plug wire covers. The really cool part, it look like it belonged in my '61 Mercury Shortbox pickup.

Oh my misspent youth, life was good.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:43 PM   #30

Washington
Okay, I have heard of the See-Level and I will look into it more and as far as the gray water tank backing up, too late, it happen already but I was able to let my gray water tank out, so no worry on that now.

I'm learning on how this work and have learn a lot just after a few days. I will when I get back to invest in the probable tote, looking on going home in a couple of days so I should be able to manage. Thank again for your comments it have been very helpful.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:03 PM   #31

Washington
Quote:
Big1,

I meant to ask you about the 6.4L Hemi, just wondering how it measures up to Ram's original claims of better mileage, than the 5.7L Hemi in the 1500. How does the 4-link rear suspension handle the load?

I cried when I saw that first press release, I've loved the Hemi ever since I got my hands on a '50's something DeSoto with one of the first gen Hemi's. It was so cool lifting the hood and seeing that massive set of red rocker covers, with the gold colored "DeSoto Firedome Eight" plug wire covers. The really cool part, it look like it belonged in my '61 Mercury Shortbox pickup.

Oh my misspent youth, life was good.
Brother, I am so happy with my new 6.4L hemi that every time I think about it my heart is over joy. So let me compare my 2500 6.4L with my 2014 2500 5.7L ram hemi that I traded.

My 2014 2500 5.7L had the 3.73 gears, my 2016 2500 6.4L have the 4.10 gears the performance that I have with the 6.4L is almost like day and night. The mileage that I was getting on the 5.7L was getting 10-11 mpg in town and the most on highway was about 14-15.

So now on my 6.4L I get around 11-12 and 13 mpg if I'm good and on highway I get 17-18 mpg and some people have been getting 19-20 mpg that's empty now by hand it only about a .5-1 mpg off. So I am getting better mileage with my 6.4L 4.10 gears than when I had my 2014 2500 5.7L and of course it didn't have the MDS.

Towing my #9500 lbs trailer I'm still checking that out but coming to the site I got 11.6 mpg but after I got to the site I unhook and I put another 50 miles on the tank.

So to make a long story short yes it is worth it but you will mainly see it empty on highway speed, some around town but more on highway. I have been checking my mileage evic and hand calculation every since I bought it in March. It is quicker than the one I had so yeah I am very happy and please with my choice
Old 09-12-2016, 06:00 AM   #32

British Columbia
I'm impressed, but now I'm really crying. If I wasn't so committed to my Cummins, I'd be down to the Ram store before they open tomorrow.

When we bought the mid-'07 Ram, I said it was going to be my last truck. For the last ten years I've been upgrading the Ram frontend, as the cheap non-servicable OEM stuff fails.

I got mad the when the serviceable after market upgrade stuff started to get a little too loose for comfort, so this year I spent all my NASCAR money on a total bebuild, I hope for the last time and replace everything with off road parts.

As long as the body lasts until I wear out the Cummins or quit towing, that should be the last frontend I install. If the body rusts off, I guess I can stick a Ford body on it. Maybe hang an Allison on the bell housing.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:05 AM   #33

Texas
Too funny!

Yes, my dream truck: Cummins power plant, Allison transmission, Ford coach\chassis.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:12 AM   #34

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Too funny!

Yes, my dream truck: Cummins power plant, Allison transmission, Ford coach\chassis.
That one, I can't claim as mine.

I went to the 1992 Real TRUCK show, with my old trucker buddy. We wander over to the Cummins display, my buddy goes over to the big boys and I head to the brand new F350 with the Cummins Turbo badging. Get to the front, under the hood was a fancy, "ABC XYZ" I6 Cummins, behind it an Allison.

Seems somebody that has to much money or a lot of pull at Cummins, bought himself a new F350, got the Cummins boys to do job. Managed to sell the Powercho uh, stroke and the transmission for the window sticker price. By the time the dust had settled, he whittled the price down to around $6K, 1992 Canadian dollars. 'bout a $1000US or $500 Texas Dollars.

I got so exited I almost wet myself.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #35
Site Team

North Carolina
There is a guy running around here with a 70's Suburban with a Durmax drive train, not sure how he accomplished it, but it is a very well done project. You can do anything you want if you have enough time and money.

Aaron
Old 09-12-2016, 05:08 PM   #36

Texas
These are amazing times and this side of the pond still has a good amount of can-do in its culture. (I have always loved our crazy-streak)

There's a fella in my small town with an F350 that has some CAT stuffed under the hood. More power to him too!
Old 09-14-2016, 09:42 PM   #37

Washington
Quote:
I'm impressed, but now I'm really crying. If I wasn't so committed to my Cummins, I'd be down to the Ram store before they open tomorrow.

When we bought the mid-'07 Ram, I said it was going to be my last truck. For the last ten years I've been upgrading the Ram frontend, as the cheap non-servicable OEM stuff fails.

I got mad the when the serviceable after market upgrade stuff started to get a little too loose for comfort, so this year I spent all my NASCAR money on a total bebuild, I hope for the last time and replace everything with off road parts.

As long as the body lasts until I wear out the Cummins or quit towing, that should be the last frontend I install. If the body rusts off, I guess I can stick a Ford body on it. Maybe hang an Allison on the bell housing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Too funny!

Yes it is funny, I had to laugh, this is my last truck also, welllllll I will see.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:11 AM   #38

Washington
Okay guys I have one question about plugging in my TT in a house 110 outlet, so what can I use inside my TT, I want be using the ac but other like the lights and maybe I can use the fridge on propane so that will cut down on power use?

I might be taking a trip with my rv to a friend house soon and want to start doing my homework, thank you guys for your advice.

BTW: I would like to use my TV if I can also.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #39

Illinois
I'm not the electric guy here on the forum, but you'll be limited to the service you have in the house, probably a total of 15-20 amps. You'll have no problem running your lights and television probably OR lights and AC, OR lights and microwave. Putting your fridge on LP will help. Worst case is you'll pop a ciriut.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #40

Texas
Did just that with the Aerolite 213, for about a month.

Pretty sure it was a 15 amp service. (my back porch. I built the house. I think I remember using one gauge bigger wiring, but still using 15 amp breakers)

Anyways, I used everything except microwave. Nothing on propane. I also only turned on hot water heater-electric-mode a few minutes before showering. Otherwise, made do with cold water. I'd move the AC thermostat up about 4 degrees just to insure the water heater wouldn't compete.

My AC got a workout too. It's coastal Texas heat. (15K AC)

Edit!!!!!
Maybe I was using only the outside kitchen fridge, at the time? Can't recall. I just preferred the compressor type fridge performance. Still do, actually. Although I use both now.

I love this this camper. It's my home now.