Water Pump is constantly running - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2022, 08:29 AM   #1

Idaho
Water Pump is constantly running

The water pump is constantly running on my 2017 Dutchmen Aspen. I checked to make sure that all handles are turned completely off. I don't see any water leaking or coming out of anywhere. It stops pumping if I turn it off on the main control panel. I'm not sure if it's the pump itself or a sensor or switch. Anyone have any advice on what to check next? Thank you so much for your help and advice. It's greatly appreciated. First time RV owner here and I'm trying to fix the problem myself.

1stTimeRVer@50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:10 AM   #2

Illinois
Probably the seal on the pump itself, clean and replace, or just upgrade with a new pump. They're cheap.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 04:42 PM   #3

Idaho
Thank you. I appreciate the help so much. Here's to gutting this fixed.🤞🏾
Old 08-22-2022, 06:59 PM   #4

Montana
Based off OP's name, I'm going to guess you are new to your RV? Forgive me if you have know about this already.
It is possible that your hot water tank is filling. IF this is your first time filling for the year or you are refilling after everything was previously emptied including the hot water tank, then the first thing your system will do is try and fill that tank. open a hot water tap to allow displaced air from the tank to escape and eventually the spitting air will turn to a flow of water. Then when you shut off the hot water tap, the pump will shut off shortly after.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:05 PM   #5

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeRVer@50 View Post
Thank you. I appreciate the help so much. Here's to gutting this fixed.🤞🏾
* or GETTING not gutting ������
Old 08-22-2022, 10:25 PM   #6

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
Based off OP's name, I'm going to guess you are new to your RV? Forgive me if you have know about this already.
It is possible that your hot water tank is filling. IF this is your first time filling for the year or you are refilling after everything was previously emptied including the hot water tank, then the first thing your system will do is try and fill that tank. open a hot water tap to allow displaced air from the tank to escape and eventually the spitting air will turn to a flow of water. Then when you shut off the hot water tap, the pump will shut off shortly after.
Yes, you are correct. I am new to this trailer. It's my first trailer and I'm trying to learn about it and get to know it. Actually the more I think about this, it could be the hot water tank trying to fill. Everytime I turn on the hot water on the kitchen faucet it gurgle and has air in it and lukewarm water comes out. It's neither cold or hot. Maybe I need to change that part (I don't know the name but they showed it to me and said once it corrodes I'll need to replace.) It was a rod or valve or both? I'll keep checking things out and looking until I get it figured out. I appreciate all advice and help. You all are the best and I look forward to giving back to this community. As you all are giving to me.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:47 PM   #7

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeRVer@50 View Post
Yes, you are correct. I am new to this trailer. It's my first trailer and I'm trying to learn about it and get to know it. Actually the more I think about this, it could be the hot water tank trying to fill. Everytime I turn on the hot water on the kitchen faucet it gurgle and has air in it and lukewarm water comes out. It's neither cold or hot. Maybe I need to change that part (I don't know the name but they showed it to me and said once it corrodes I'll need to replace.) It was a rod or valve or both? I'll keep checking things out and looking until I get it figured out. I appreciate all advice and help. You all are the best and I look forward to giving back to this community. As you all are giving to me.
The 6-gallon hot water tank has to fill completely with water before it starts to have water flowing out of it normally. It fills from the bottom and the outlet is at the top. It may spit and sputter water and air until it is full, but then it will flow water normally once full.

You should also be sure that the tank is full before turning on the heater. The part that corrodes is called the anode rod and not related to the water pump or water pressure.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:51 PM   #8

California
How long does the anode rod last? I changed them on my boat but never on the RV water heater. I assume it’s east to change, I hope it’s in the front of the tank?
larrypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:29 PM   #9

North Carolina
Try adjusting the pressure set screw on the pump. Twice in 20 years on 2 different campers I've had to loosen mine to fix the pump not shutting off. No idea how this happens but it does.
Witt84z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 01:15 AM   #10

California
I found it.
larrypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 01:49 AM   #11

North Carolina
Do you have a single switch that cuts off the pump?

My pump will run continuously when the onboard water tank is empty. The only want to shut it off is to turn off the pump at the switch.

Good luck,

Art W
Rolling Condo
Art W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 11:08 AM   #12

Illinois
Depends on your water but anode will last a season or two. Easy to change and cheap so I do it annually.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 05:09 PM   #13

Florida
It’s a PITA to change since you need to flush the bottom of the tank out and you need a hose attachment with a long spout curved at the end. When the rod dissolves, it drops portions of itself in the tank that need to be cleaned when you change the rod. I buy two rods at a time since they don’t really seem to last very long.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 05:11 PM   #14

Florida
RV Water Heater Tank Rinser,Metal Tube Water Tank Flusher,Powerful Water Spray,Flushes and Removes Sediment and Scale from RV Water Heater

Search Amazon!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote