TT Leveling - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2015, 11:15 PM   #1

Ontario
TT Leveling

Good day Folks,

Well, we finally got our walk-through tour and orientation for our new 2014 Denali 289RK last week. After 7 months of waiting, this was pretty satisfying.

There is one thing the tech told us that I disagree with and I am looking for some feedback from you experienced RV'ers.

The tech instructed us that, before levelling the trailer, we need to extend the slides then level it side to side then front to back then deploy the stabilizers.

I disagree on opening the slides first as the slides are made to open on an even and level keel. So my thinking is to level side to side first, chock the wheels then level front to back and then deploy the four stabilizers. Only then would I open my two slide-outs.

Who has the correct procedure? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yves

Old 05-04-2015, 11:48 PM   #2

South Carolina
I don't have an answer. However, during our PDI, our tech stated that we needed to level first then extend. This was based on our slides: the galley is cable driven while the living area is an under mounted rack & pinion design. The big concern was the galley as the loss of the cables would allow it to slide completely out of the rig, more so if the rig is not level.

Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:52 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Level first, then slides. It is easiest to level side to side, then front to back.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:24 AM   #4

Wyoming
You can damage your slides by opening them when the trailer is not level.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:16 AM   #5

Missouri
You'll find that you will want to level slightly higher on the slide side, put the stabilizers down, then put the slides out. With the weight of the two slides on one side, it will bring the trailer just prefect. If you don't start with the slide side slightly higher, you will be sloping to the slide side. You'll see what I am talking about. I have a mark on my level that I use, after a few times, you'll get it perfect.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:17 AM   #6

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
You'll find that you will want to level slightly higher on the slide side, put the stabilizers down, then put the slides out. With the weight of the two slides on one side, it will bring the trailer just prefect. If you don't start with the slide side slightly higher, you will be sloping to the slide side. You'll see what I am talking about. I have a mark on my level that I use, after a few times, you'll get it perfect.
Eric is correct as I found out on our last outing. I got the side to side perfectly leveled then after extending the slides it was leaning to the port side a bit. I'll know better next time.
Oh and congratulations on finally getting your new toy. I think you're going to love it.
I'm going to be visiting BC and Alberta in a couple of months. Looking forward to it.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #7

Ontario
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the great info!! It was right on track with what I was thinking ie: damaging the slides if not level and then I did expect the TT to lean a bit on the slide side after.

Eric, how much extra height do you give to your slide side assuming you are levelling on solid ground before you level?
Old 05-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #8

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occupant5143 View Post
Eric is correct as I found out on our last outing. I got the side to side perfectly leveled then after extending the slides it was leaning to the port side a bit. I'll know better next time.
Oh and congratulations on finally getting your new toy. I think you're going to love it.
I'm going to be visiting BC and Alberta in a couple of months. Looking forward to it.
Have a great trip!!! I was posted in Saskatchewan for 11 years at the start of my Mountie career and just enjoyed it and went to Alberta often!! Watch out for deer and antelope as they are everywhere and if you have time, go through Cypress Hills and the Badlands. You will definitely appreciate your F-250 as BC, well, it's not Saskatchewan flat if you know what I mean...LOL Gas prices right now here in the east are running anywhere from $1.07 to $1.11 per litre ($4.80 - $5.00 gal.....ouch!!!)but I think it's lower in Alberta and BC.

Oh, and speed-wise, in my days the guys gave you about (+/-) 8-9mph leeway and I would doubt that it changed (but it's been a while so I don't know....just going with what we do here in Ottawa). I hope you bring back great memories!!!! Be safe!!
Old 05-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #9

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Mountie View Post
Eric, how much extra height do you give to your slide side assuming you are levelling on solid ground before you level?
I use the Andersen Levelers, so I cant say for sure. I use a torpedo level in the trailer, and there is a line that I put the edge of the bubble on. I do have to use the levelers on a level surface.

If you are using leveling Pads, on a level surface, I would suggest starting with a 1" pad, and see where that puts you. Sorry I cant be much more help. But since talking about this I highly recommend the Andersen Levelers, though they are a bit pricey and you need two of them.

So what are your overall impressions of your new Denali? Did they have everything fixed up and ready to go for you?

Happy Trails

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #10

Ontario
Quote:
I use the Andersen Levelers, so I cant say for sure. I use a torpedo level in the trailer, and there is a line that I put the edge of the bubble on. I do have to use the levelers on a level surface.

If you are using leveling Pads, on a level surface, I would suggest starting with a 1" pad, and see where that puts you. Sorry I cant be much more help. But since talking about this I highly recommend the Andersen Levelers, though they are a bit pricey and you need two of them.

So what are your overall impressions of your new Denali? Did they have everything fixed up and ready to go for you?

Happy Trails
Thanks Eric. We too bought the Anderson Levellers. They seemed so easy to work with instead of pilling blocks under the wheels and then redoing it again when you find you are still not level.

We are very impressed with the Denali and yes, everything worked fine, at least at the dealer's. We leave on Friday for the 10 day maiden voyage so we hope we will not have any problems that I can't deal with on site.

The dealer has allowed us to start putting some of our stuff in it since we have no storage until when we get back on the 19th (and no way it fits in our driveway). It's amazing how much stuff we have especially having made the jump from a truck camper, this is like a house!! I am sure we have too much and will be bringing some back.......LOL

Again, thanks for sharing your experience!!!

Yves
Old 05-05-2015, 10:15 PM   #11

California
I second the Anderson levels. Wife bought them for me for Christmas & I like them very much.
I've never needed to compensate for the slide on any RV I've owned when leveling. Of course it might be that the bubble moving slightly once slide is out never bothered us.
As everyone else has said, level than extend the slides.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:15 AM   #12

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Mountie View Post
Gas prices right now here in the east are running anywhere from $1.07 to $1.11 per litre ($4.80 - $5.00 gal.....ouch!!!)but I think it's lower in Alberta and BC.
In BC (Vancouver Island) gas went up today to 1.23 per L, that's $4.65 a gallon. Vancouver is about 9 cents a L more.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:18 AM   #13

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
In BC (Vancouver Island) gas went up today to 1.23 per L, that's $4.65 a gallon. Vancouver is about 9 cents a L more.
What does the price for diesel fuel look like?
Old 05-13-2015, 03:57 AM   #14

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occupant5143 View Post
What does the price for diesel fuel look like?
I think it was at $1.19.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:48 AM   #15

Utah
I get my trailer level left to right by using blocks etc under the tires. Then use the front jack to level front to back. Check again left to right. Then put your stabilizers down. Remember they are stabilizer not jacks. Then I insert my X-chocks between the tires. Only then I put out my slide out.

I also been told not to put the slideout until the trailer is secured.

2014 Dutchmen 261BHS
gazingm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:04 AM   #16

Arizona
Quote:
Great info. I wondered about this. Our new rig has two slide outs. I figured that would be a lot of weight.

I am an aircraft mechanic. I have dealt with and understand weight and balance.
Jeyboy170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:25 AM   #17

Colorado
If you're an aircraft mechanic, you know your way around hydraulic systems.

So...I would save my pennies and buy a Lippert auto-leveling system...and that will be the end of your issues.

I will not own another RV without it. So nice. Use the manual mode to raise the front to unhook the king pin. Pull the truck forward, go back to the Lippert panel and push the auto-level button...watch the jacks moving...and voila the display comes up "Success"...and you're level!!!

Just sayin'

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:39 AM   #18

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
If you're an aircraft mechanic, you know your way around hydraulic systems.

So...I would save my pennies and buy a Lippert auto-leveling system...and that will be the end of your issues.

I will not own another RV without it. So nice. Use the manual mode to raise the front to unhook the king pin. Pull the truck forward, go back to the Lippert panel and push the auto-level button...watch the jacks moving...and voila the display comes up "Success"...and you're level!!!

Just sayin'

Pirate

$3000? lol..No thanks. Would be nice though.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:03 AM   #19

Colorado
Hmmm....$3000 seems like pretty small change given the cost of the trailer and the truck to tow it and all the other things we buy for them.

Just sayin'

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote