Trailer tire upgrade - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #1

Michigan
Trailer tire upgrade

I know, I know not another one of these threads. I have already been reading some of the others but I didn't really find an answer to the question I have. I am looking to replace the Akuret tires on my new 265BHS for a couple reasons. One I have never heard of the name and two because the trailer was a left over 2013 and the tires have date codes from mid 2012. Basically these things sat in the dirt at the dealer for almost 2 years.

I am thinking of going with Carlisle or Goodyear Marathons. I have had both with no issues. My deciding factor is either going to be which one is more common where I could get a replacement almost anywhere and should I stay with a D range or move up to E range.

I talked to the guy I normally buy tires from, who sells Carlisle, and asked him about the D vs E range and he told me that the D range would be better because they are more than sufficient for weight and the E range will run hotter being a thicker tire. Not really sure if I believe that last part or if he has D range on the shelf and would have to order E range. The tire size is 225/75R15. My gut tells me for the few extra bucks to move up to E range and run the higher pressure of those to keep tires cooler.

By the way I won't be pulling faster than 60 as I believe the 1/2 ton will really start going through fuel.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #2

California
I would move up to the E rated tire.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #3

Michigan
Thanks Desert Rat. Another couple questions are one if I move up to Load Range E should I then also replace the spare tire since that is a Load Range D. I am thinking most would recommend not to mix ranges even though the D is technically rated high enough. Also how would I go about finding out if the wheels are rated for the 80 psi to go to load range E. My guess is they are but that would be a make or break deal for that switch.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #4

California
I wouldn't worry about upgrading the spare. If you do ever need it most of the time it's just to get you to a repair shop. Wheels should be rated for 80 psi. The psi rating should be stamped on the inside of the wheel.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:53 PM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
The psi rating should be stamped on the inside of the wheel.
Mine were stamped on the inside of the spokes.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:37 PM   #6

Michigan
Hey thanks for the help. Also thanks for not starting a tire bashing frenzy here too. I used to be on another rv site but as soon as you bring up anything about tires it seems to be they are all crap except maybe Maxxis or go to an LT tire. While I don't doubt everyone has a reason for making the decision they did it certainly isn't up to the rest of us to bash another for the reasons they chose what they did. Any tire if used enough, neglected, curb rash, or just plain enough of them out there will hear complaints about almost all tires. Most people are more likely to come on these forums to discuss problems they have had to share insite with others of what to avoid. However most people that have had no problems you likely will never hear from them and they go on living life. My choices are purely based on never hearing the name Akuret, never having a problem with Carlisles, wanting to upgrade to a higher load range to have more safety factor, not wanting to replace wheels too, and I just am not sure a larger diameter LT will fit in the wheel wells anyway.

Probably best motivation I have for sticking with ST tires is that is what is required for trailers, not that LTs will not work, they most certainly will in proper application. Nope my decision came based on my chat with the insurance company. When I asked if damage to the camper because of a blowout would be covered she replied as long as it doesn't look like it was caused by neglect such as wrong tire application, tire old and dry rotted, or something that I should have replaced but felt oh it will go another year.

Again I am thankful I didn't get the wrist slap of those tires suck. I know many have run the Akuret tires with good luck and I support your decisions. I also know it is very possible I could run mine for a couple years and have no issues. I could also buy Carlisles or any other tire for that matter and have problems immediately.

Time will tell I guess.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #7

Utah
It makes no difference what brand tire you buy, someone will have had a problem with that brand. I only use ST Tires on my trailers past and present. Carlisles, akuret, king max, marithons, and the only problems I had were my fault. the following is the reasons for most tire failures.
1. Underinflated (improper tire pressure) It is the air in the tire that carries the load. Not the tire

2. Over Loaded. Trailer overloaded or the load range of the tire is not good enough for the weight of the trailer. This is why I always weight any trailer to be sure the truck and the trailer are not over loaded for the tires that are on it.

3. Driving over 65 MPH on ST tires. ST tires have a max speed of 65 MPH I tow any trailer between 50 and 60 MPH

4. Age of tires. I replace mine every 5 years.

Mel
mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #8

Michigan
Very good comments Mel. I totally agree with you. After doing a lot of reading on this site and others I have come to these conclusions also. Again this is just a generalization. It seems to me that the majority of people reporting problems with ST tires are those that are traveling long distances and usually with heavy 5ers. Again this is just a generalization. I am figuring my longest trips are still less than 200 miles. Likely it will not be over 60mph even on expressway since I am towing this 30' camper with a 1/2 ton truck. Plus going from 60-70 mph is going to use a ton more fuel and I will only get there 10-15 minutes earlier. No thanks.

After talking to my dad this weekend about it he said do what you have money for and what makes you comfortable. You may never have any issues with the Akurets or you could put new Carlisles or Marathons on there and have a defect and one blow after 100 miles. It's all a gamble. The other comments he made when I said you never heard of many trailer tire failures years ago. He made mention of a few things: one no internet or not much of one for people to reach large crowds talking about it, two most tires then were made in the US, and three which him and I believe to be a lot more of an impact is years ago you didn't have these extremely powerful diesel pickups where you could pull 12k pound trailers at 75mph no problem. ST tires have speed ratings at 65mph but years ago it wasn't very probable that you were going to tow that fast. His biggest comparison was my new 2013 1/2 ton with 325hp vs his 1979 1/2 ton with 165 hp. All trucks seem to be getting a lot more powerful nowadays and much more capable. In those days he said you almost wouldn't dream of pulling a 30' travel trailer with a 1/2 ton. Now you do, within limits of course.

Again don't want to start any fights these were only our opinions.