Towing a "Park Model" and Durability - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2020, 05:33 PM   #1

Indiana
Towing a "Park Model" and Durability

Hi all,
The wife and I in the market for a new to us camper to replace my old Dutchman 30ft. With the family we need a bunkhouse and decent room. In our search we have found a few that borderline on being park models. Ones that are 35ft long with larger fridges, showers, patio doors etc. I attached an exampl. . I know towing one around requires more attention to detail to be safe (bigger TV, hitch setup, gas station selection etc).

My question is about their durability while towing? Is it just that they are not as convenient because of the requirement related to length/weight, or is it that they don't handle towing miles as well and fall apart if towed a lot?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BigCamper.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	6521  

Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:06 AM   #2

Arizona
I believe park models are only meant to be towed from the factory to the permanent parking location.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:26 PM   #3

Arizona
I've been towing a 34' Denali with two slides. While backing it up might be a slightly different experience than what you are used to it doesn't really handle any differently on the road. It does take a bigger tow vehicle (3/4 ton) and I would hesitate to pull into a tight fuel station with it which is why I have an auxiliary fuel tank to avoid having to fill up while towing.
As far as durability is concerned its not really much different than that 30 footer. After all they both have the same systems albeit maybe a different number of axles/wheels to maintain.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:59 PM   #4

Illinois
First question is, what will you tow it with? As mentioned, Park models usually look like mobile homes and are not really meant to be used as a travel trailer, more for like being brought to a campground and parked on a leased spot for a season, maybe occasional moves to different parks, but for the most park set and forget.

Knowing what it will be towed with can determine some good choices for a bunkhouse model, conventional pull or 5th wheel. There are several good choices and models in both that I can recommend based on if its a half ton or 1 ton truck. I currently have an Arctic Wolf 3660 Suite that is towed with a SRW F-350, 13,000 road ready. It is a mid bunk with a large family area, and a loft. Sleeps 3 in the bunk room, 2 in the loft, 2 on a rear queen tri-fold and 2 in the front King bedroom. There are smaller ones similar to this design that can be towed with a 3/4 ton.

For conventional, there are a LOT of choices for bunk room, but those are for the most part rear bunks, and you don't get as much free living space in them as you do with a 5th wheel . From what you are asking, you will probably find what you like the best in a 5th wheel design.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:17 PM   #5

Arizona
Guess I'm confused. Are you looking at a large 5th wheel or are you considering a Park model?

BTW I looked at some park models and the ones I saw were about as wide as a 5th wheel with the slides out. I doubt a 12 foot wide Park model can be towed without a special vehicle and government permits.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:06 AM   #6

Indiana
Thanks for all the replies. The model I was looking at was the one I listed in my original post. The tow vehicle will be an Excursion, either v10 or diesel.

However, I decided to pass on that one an brought home the Keystone Sprinter bunkhouse shown below. It is a 299BHS, so it comes in at just over 30 ft with a front bedroom and a quad bunk in the back.

I appreciate your input
Name:  IMG_3768_Original.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  4.3 KB

Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote