Thoughts on running furnace while away from camper - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #1

Virginia
Thoughts on running furnace while away from camper

Hello all. As fall is approaching so is great camping weather and cooler temps. We purchased our trailer so we could take our dog with is. That brings me to my question. How safe are the furnaces in these things? Are they safe to leave running while unattended? For example if we leave the trailer to go out to dinner or something and we leave the furnace running is there any risk of fire with our dog inside?

buddy306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:30 PM   #2

Wyoming
Provided all of the lines are connected properly, and everything's running fine... there should be no problem. I mean, people leave them on for 8 hours at night while they're sleeping, right? What's the difference?

That said... I use my propane furnace as little as possible. I don't boondocks very often, so instead, I use a electric ceramic heater to keep things warm when I can.

Why spend my money on propane to use the furnace when I can use the RV park's electricity that's included with my fee? Just another option to think about.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #3

Virginia
My concern was for my dog. This is my first travel trailer and this fall will be the first time using the furnace. I agree with your statement that people uae it while they sleep but given an alarm goes off they hopefully can get out safely. My concern ia when my dog is in there and we aren't there. Since the trailer is new I assume everything would be working properly.

As for tour ceramic heater, does it do heat enough to keep the camper warm?
Old 09-13-2017, 09:44 PM   #4

New Jersey
We have the same issue, leaving our dog when we run errands, or go out to dinner. Our dog sometimes pushes her bed over the floor heat register. We have an electric fireplace, with a theromstat. I've been using the fireplace when we go out, without any issues. A ceramic heater on a counter as Tom said will also work.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:56 PM   #5

Virginia
I really want a fireplace. In fact I started a thread a few months ago about adding one. May need to revisit that option.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:59 PM   #6

California
Yep...ditto on the electric heater. Ours has a thermostat on it so it shuts off when it reaches temp. Set it on the table or counter and no worries with your dog.
lonwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:02 AM   #7

South Carolina
I've replaced our 30 Amp plug too many times. I am careful about using too much current. I prefer propane when possible. I always use the propane furnace, and only use an electric space heater when absolutely needed. Propane is not that expensive. (Locally, it costs $10 for a full tank refill) A dog won't tip over a built-in propane heater. It's like the furnace at home. If you go out for dinner, you might even turn everything off. If you're gone longer, leave the heat at 60 degrees. If your dog is like our two, open and raise the blinds, or IM me about finding replacements!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #8

I agree with ATCguy.. I also use electric heaters. When gone I set them on the kitchen counter so they cannot be knocked over by accident. My heaters like most shut off when tipped over anyway. The only problem would be no heat for the doggies. I trust the onboard heater but not with my doggies lives. I would never run it while moving or away. But that is just me I suppose. Mr. Cautious.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #9

California
When we had our Voltage we ran the electric fireplace. Worked very well to keep the kitchen/living room area warm.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #10

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwlf View Post
Yep...ditto on the electric heater. Ours has a thermostat on it so it shuts off when it reaches temp. Set it on the table or counter and no worries with your dog.
We used ours one weekend last year - stuck is inside a doggy kennel so that rover couldn't get to it or knock it over.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #11

Florida
We had a cat that would travel with us so I thought something she knocked over and had no apparent danger would be an oil filled heater like this:

Kmart.com

Since electricity is being provided by the park and propane is provided by me, i opted for the former while we were gone for the day. We have an electric fireplace in the camper now and it's GREAT (as Tony would say)
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:36 PM   #12

Florida
Get a carbon monoxide detector. That way it will make noise and notifies your neighbors then dog can get out if it goes off.

masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote